Administrator setting

I am using a laptop that used to be my fathers business computer given to him
by his company. I accidentaly changed a setting which changed it so I am not
an administrator. Therefore, whenever I try to download a program it says I
do not have permission to download this program. Also, I dont know the
password to change it so I am an administrator. Any advice
5 answers Last reply
More about administrator setting

    To clarify.....I am not having trouble just dowloading programs...it is more
    when I go to install them onto the computer is when i get the "You do not
    have permission" website.

    Thanks,
    Kevin

    marquette.hockey wrote:
    > I am using a laptop that used to be my fathers business computer given to him
    > by his company. I accidentaly changed a setting which changed it so I am not
    > an administrator. Therefore, whenever I try to download a program it says I
    > do not have permission to download this program. Also, I dont know the
    > password to change it so I am an administrator. Any advice

    Did you used to log in as 'administrator'? If not then ask the person
    who does to make you one - if you did then the Internet is full of
    possible solutions for password resetting.

    If on the other hand you only want to hack your dad's work computer then
    remember that you are going to get caught as resetting the administrator
    password will show up later.....

    Andy,

    Yes, I was orginally the ADMIN of this computer but i somehow changed
    something to change my status to not being the admin...
    How do I reset the password?

    "andy smart" wrote:

    > marquette.hockey wrote:
    > > I am using a laptop that used to be my fathers business computer given to him
    > > by his company. I accidentaly changed a setting which changed it so I am not
    > > an administrator. Therefore, whenever I try to download a program it says I
    > > do not have permission to download this program. Also, I dont know the
    > > password to change it so I am an administrator. Any advice
    >
    > Did you used to log in as 'administrator'? If not then ask the person
    > who does to make you one - if you did then the Internet is full of
    > possible solutions for password resetting.
    >
    > If on the other hand you only want to hack your dad's work computer then
    > remember that you are going to get caught as resetting the administrator
    > password will show up later.....

    Well, there is an account that is the built-in Administrator account,
    which can be renamed. This account cannot be made so it is not an
    admin.
    Thus, you must have been using another account that was an admin,
    and have now changed it so that it is just a plain user account.
    So, the solution is to speak with the person that know the built-in
    admin account and have them restore your account to its administrators
    membership.

    --
    Roger Abell
    Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)
    > Andy,
    >
    > Yes, I was orginally the ADMIN of this computer but i somehow changed
    > something to change my status to not being the admin...
    > How do I reset the password?
    >
    > "andy smart" wrote:
    >
    > > marquette.hockey wrote:
    > > > I am using a laptop that used to be my fathers business computer given
    to him
    > > > by his company. I accidentaly changed a setting which changed it so I
    am not
    > > > an administrator. Therefore, whenever I try to download a program it
    says I
    > > > do not have permission to download this program. Also, I dont know the
    > > > password to change it so I am an administrator. Any advice
    > >
    > > Did you used to log in as 'administrator'? If not then ask the person
    > > who does to make you one - if you did then the Internet is full of
    > > possible solutions for password resetting.
    > >
    > > If on the other hand you only want to hack your dad's work computer then
    > > remember that you are going to get caught as resetting the administrator
    > > password will show up later.....

    If you are not the administrator,you could ask the administrator to the
    create an account for you that have all
    permissions he or she has.
    David
    "marquette.hockey" <marquette.hockey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:AAE7E3AF-94ED-4CCB-AE1E-8DC2AD7E6FDA@microsoft.com...
    > I am using a laptop that used to be my fathers business computer given to
    him
    > by his company. I accidentaly changed a setting which changed it so I am
    not
    > an administrator. Therefore, whenever I try to download a program it says
    > do not have permission to download this program. Also, I dont know the
    > password to change it so I am an administrator. Any advice

Download Microsoft Windows