would it run Wow?

Uenn

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2007
ok, its late i prolly had a few too many and im a jackash... not the best combo when buyin online :x
anyway, my comp craped out on me a few weeks ago and my friend offered to make me one as long as i fliped the bill on parts...
looking back at my order details email, i see the vid card i got was a:
ASUS EN6200TC256/TD/64M GeForce 6200TC 256MB(64MB on Board ) 64-bit DDR PCI Express x16 Low Profile Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814121193

my question is, will it run World of Warcraft? i was unsure after seein the email so in a panic (panic is what i do when i cant play this damn game :( *sigh*) i goto the wow site and it says:

Recommended Specifications

Windows® System 2000/XP OS:

* Intel Pentium® IV 1.5 GHz or AMD XP 1500+ MHz
* 1024 MB RAM
* 64 MB 3D graphics card with Hardware Transform and Lighting, such as NVIDIA® GeForce™ FX 5700 class card or above
* Broadband Internet connection
* Two-button scroll-wheel mouse

did i just goof and get the wrong card? or will this thing run wow?

*edit for link

Harrisson

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
Its ok, slow on games but will work with WoW on medium quality settings.

Honestly, your friend could have offered better card for similar money, because video card is essential for games, for example:
Radeon X550 PCI-E 256M 128BIT/HM512M VGA+DVI+TV cost arround 50$, which would be ~2x faster than yours.

Also for WoW you could really use 1GB RAM, dont know what he offered there :)

Uenn

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2007
ok, thanks! was worried for a moment
yeah he told me to get 2 512 sticks of ram, i was running WoW with an older 32mb 3d card from ATI i think, and 768Ram (haha im ghettotastic)
it would run, but only on the low settings on all options, meh i was used to it :?

Just consider this: a video card with dedicated memory will beat the crap out of any card that eats the system's memory, even if its chip is less advanced: most GPU are starved for memory throughput.
As far as I know, WoW i still very DX 8-ish; as such, even an older card such as a Geforce4 (not MX) may provide more than acceptable performances (considering it requires a Geforce2 grade card, it may not use even fixed shaders) if it has enough of fast RAM.
Stop me if I'm wrong, but WoW uses the same engine that Warcraft 3 used; the latter ran very well on my Geforce4 ti 4200-8x with 128 Mb of RAM.

I'd say a Geforce 6600 would make it lightning fast at any resolution you'd want; a 6200 with dedicated RAM (not the Turbocache crap) would also do the trick. Steer clear from the FX series though.