Buying wireless routers etc from the US.

uksoftwaredeals

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2006
Hi,

I am a UK based reseller of software and hardware. My US supplier has certain routers etc which are available at good prices but they come with US 110v power adaptors. The items are:

Linksys WUSB11 Wireless adaptor
Linksys WRE54G Wireless G-Range expander
Netgear WGR614 router
Netgear WGR624 router
Netgear PS101 mini parallel print server
Netgear WGPS606 wireless print server

I would like to know if these would work if buyers bought a US to UK plug adaptor. Obviously the power into the products would be only 110v, which I know works ok for them in the US, but would it be sufficient for them to work here. Alternatively would these work with UK 240v power adaptors?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Julius
UKSOFTWAREDEALS

Iceblue

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
To determine if a power adaptor will work outside of the US market, the key specification is the frequency spec, not the voltage.

You need to check to be sure it will work at 50Hz. You should also check the input power specs for the equipment to ensure it will properly operate at 50Hz, since sometimes these devices are voltage step down transformers only and the device itself still operates on AC.

If the power adaptor for the US market is spec'ed at "60 Hz" that adaptor will NOT work on European power. You're out of luck.

If the power adaptor says "110 v AC 50-60 Hz" that WILL work with European power, but will require an adaptor transformer to step down your 240v to 110v.

If the power adaptor says "110-240 v AC 50-60 Hz" that WILL work with only a plug adaptor; you should be good to go.

As I said above, make sure the device itself is running on DC, or if it is AC that it, also, can handle 50 Hz.

uksoftwaredeals

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2006
Many thanks for taking the time to help. It is greatly appreciated. I will forward the details on to my supplier and have asked him to clarify.

Regards,
Julius

uksoftwaredeals

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2006
Hi Icecube,

I just took a look at the specs of a Netgear DG834G 802.11g Wireless ADSL Firewall Router on my suppliers website.

It states the following:
AC Adapter (120VAC, 60Hz)
So am I right in thinking that this refers to your 3rd scenario, where this will work only with a plug adaptor. The reason I say this is because my supplier stated that they have already supplied these to other UK resellers with no problems.

Regards,
Julius
UKSOFTWAREDEALS

Iceblue

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
NO.. this is my first scenario.

Using a plug adapter only will burn the AC adapter up in about 30 seconds (or less). It cannot handle 240v.

Using a transformer adapter to reduce the European 240v 50Hz to 120v 50Hz will burn it up in about 2 hours most likely. This does depend on the internal design of the AC adapter, but since the manufacturer only specified 60Hz, it is very likely running it on a 50Hz supply will overheat it and cause it to fail in fairly short order.

Since your supplier states he has had no problems with this device, ask if he is willing to send you a sample for YOU to try first, and that if it fails, you own him nothing.

I do not think the AC adapter will work in Europe. It is still possible the Netgear router will work if you can find a European source for the AC adapter.