Question on Local Security Policy

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
May 24, 2005 2:29:04 PM

Hi there,

I have a Windows XP Pro workstation that belongs to a Win 2K domain.
When I access the Local Security Policy on the computer, I find that Policy
objects like 'Account Policies' and 'Audit Policies' are 'greyed out' as in
non-configurable.

Is there any way I can enable these policies at the local workstation, while
it is a member of a domain.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Regards

CP
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
May 24, 2005 3:11:02 PM

If thoses options are greyed out that means they are being controlled at the
domain level by group policy. You will not be able to changes these options..

"CP" wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I have a Windows XP Pro workstation that belongs to a Win 2K domain.
> When I access the Local Security Policy on the computer, I find that Policy
> objects like 'Account Policies' and 'Audit Policies' are 'greyed out' as in
> non-configurable.
>
> Is there any way I can enable these policies at the local workstation, while
> it is a member of a domain.
>
> Thanks in advance for any replies.
>
> Regards
>
> CP

May 24, 2005 4:22:06 PM

Thank you for ur response, Drumgod.

How do I prevent the domain level group policy from overriding the Local
Security Policy.

Regards

CP

"Drumgod" wrote:

> If thoses options are greyed out that means they are being controlled at the
> domain level by group policy. You will not be able to changes these options..
>
> "CP" wrote:
>
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I have a Windows XP Pro workstation that belongs to a Win 2K domain.
> > When I access the Local Security Policy on the computer, I find that Policy
> > objects like 'Account Policies' and 'Audit Policies' are 'greyed out' as in
> > non-configurable.
> >
> > Is there any way I can enable these policies at the local workstation, while
> > it is a member of a domain.
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any replies.
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > CP

a b 8 Security
May 24, 2005 7:55:32 PM

> How do I prevent the domain level group policy from overriding the Local
> Security Policy.

Either remove the computer from the domain or move the computer into an OU,
set the account policies as you want at the OU level. Account policies set
at the OU level only take affect when logging on locally to a computer in
the OU.

When not on the domain log on locally.

hth
DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

"CP" <CP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thank you for ur response, Drumgod.
>
> How do I prevent the domain level group policy from overriding the Local
> Security Policy.
>
> Regards
>
> CP
>
> "Drumgod" wrote:
>
>> If thoses options are greyed out that means they are being controlled at
>> the
>> domain level by group policy. You will not be able to changes these
>> options..
>>
>> "CP" wrote:
>>
>> > Hi there,
>> >
>> > I have a Windows XP Pro workstation that belongs to a Win 2K domain.
>> > When I access the Local Security Policy on the computer, I find that
>> > Policy
>> > objects like 'Account Policies' and 'Audit Policies' are 'greyed out'
>> > as in
>> > non-configurable.
>> >
>> > Is there any way I can enable these policies at the local workstation,
>> > while
>> > it is a member of a domain.
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance for any replies.
>> >
>> > Regards
>> >
>> > CP

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
May 24, 2005 10:33:48 PM

Actually, to free account policies from being impacted by GPOs
from the forest you need to make sure that the Account policies
are "Not Defined" in any OU-linked GPOs that have the machine
within their scope of influence. Only then will they be available
to be set at the level of the Local Security Policy.

The Account policies set in GPOs linked to the domain are not
involved here, as those affect only domain accounts and have
their impact upon the DCs.

--
Roger Abell
Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)