Question on Local Security Policy

Hi there,

I have a Windows XP Pro workstation that belongs to a Win 2K domain.
When I access the Local Security Policy on the computer, I find that Policy
objects like 'Account Policies' and 'Audit Policies' are 'greyed out' as in
non-configurable.

Is there any way I can enable these policies at the local workstation, while
it is a member of a domain.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Regards

CP
4 answers Last reply
More about question local security policy

    If thoses options are greyed out that means they are being controlled at the
    domain level by group policy. You will not be able to changes these options..

    "CP" wrote:

    > Hi there,
    >
    > I have a Windows XP Pro workstation that belongs to a Win 2K domain.
    > When I access the Local Security Policy on the computer, I find that Policy
    > objects like 'Account Policies' and 'Audit Policies' are 'greyed out' as in
    > non-configurable.
    >
    > Is there any way I can enable these policies at the local workstation, while
    > it is a member of a domain.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any replies.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > CP

    Thank you for ur response, Drumgod.

    How do I prevent the domain level group policy from overriding the Local
    Security Policy.

    Regards

    CP

    "Drumgod" wrote:

    > If thoses options are greyed out that means they are being controlled at the
    > domain level by group policy. You will not be able to changes these options..
    >
    > "CP" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi there,
    > >
    > > I have a Windows XP Pro workstation that belongs to a Win 2K domain.
    > > When I access the Local Security Policy on the computer, I find that Policy
    > > objects like 'Account Policies' and 'Audit Policies' are 'greyed out' as in
    > > non-configurable.
    > >
    > > Is there any way I can enable these policies at the local workstation, while
    > > it is a member of a domain.
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance for any replies.
    > >
    > > Regards
    > >
    > > CP

    > How do I prevent the domain level group policy from overriding the Local
    > Security Policy.

    Either remove the computer from the domain or move the computer into an OU,
    set the account policies as you want at the OU level. Account policies set
    at the OU level only take affect when logging on locally to a computer in
    the OU.

    When not on the domain log on locally.

    hth
    DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

    "CP" <CP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Thank you for ur response, Drumgod.
    >
    > How do I prevent the domain level group policy from overriding the Local
    > Security Policy.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > CP
    >
    > "Drumgod" wrote:
    >
    >> If thoses options are greyed out that means they are being controlled at
    >> the
    >> domain level by group policy. You will not be able to changes these
    >> options..
    >>
    >> "CP" wrote:
    >>
    >> > Hi there,
    >> >
    >> > I have a Windows XP Pro workstation that belongs to a Win 2K domain.
    >> > When I access the Local Security Policy on the computer, I find that
    >> > Policy
    >> > objects like 'Account Policies' and 'Audit Policies' are 'greyed out'
    >> > as in
    >> > non-configurable.
    >> >
    >> > Is there any way I can enable these policies at the local workstation,
    >> > while
    >> > it is a member of a domain.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks in advance for any replies.
    >> >
    >> > Regards
    >> >
    >> > CP

    Actually, to free account policies from being impacted by GPOs
    from the forest you need to make sure that the Account policies
    are "Not Defined" in any OU-linked GPOs that have the machine
    within their scope of influence. Only then will they be available
    to be set at the level of the Local Security Policy.

    The Account policies set in GPOs linked to the domain are not
    involved here, as those affect only domain accounts and have
    their impact upon the DCs.

    --
    Roger Abell
    Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)
    "CP" <CP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Thank you for ur response, Drumgod.
    >
    > How do I prevent the domain level group policy from overriding the Local
    > Security Policy.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > CP
    >
    > "Drumgod" wrote:
    >
    > > If thoses options are greyed out that means they are being controlled at
    the
    > > domain level by group policy. You will not be able to changes these
    options..

    > > "CP" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hi there,
    > > >
    > > > I have a Windows XP Pro workstation that belongs to a Win 2K domain.
    > > > When I access the Local Security Policy on the computer, I find that
    Policy
    > > > objects like 'Account Policies' and 'Audit Policies' are 'greyed out'
    as in
    > > > non-configurable.
    > > >
    > > > Is there any way I can enable these policies at the local workstation,
    while
    > > > it is a member of a domain.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks in advance for any replies.
    > > >
    > > > Regards