2 wireless routers conected to cable modem?

col

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2004
Beginner here so I applogize now.
Scenario. Cable modem connected to wireless router. Wireless router supplied by employer company that prevents personal computer connection via wireless to router. Hardwired personal computer to router OK. Can you connect 2nd wireless router to modem/1st router to give wireless functionality to personal notebook?

Iceblue

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
You might want to use a wireless access point instead of a router.
Some of you guys must own stock in Linksys or something! :lol:

While it is alleged that an AP will give better performance, it is fact they are generally more expensive.

Home routers are cheap. They are also inexpensive! :p But, for most home users, they do the job. Specialized needs may require a hardwired router with a separate wireless AP. But, I maintain, most home users spend their money more wisely just buying the cheap (and inexpensive) home market routers. Same goes for even some small offices.

If you DO use a router, use one that can be put into AP mode. If it does not have a simple setting for "use as an AP" or some such, just turn off NAT and DHCP. Usually you will connect the WAN port on your router to one of the LAN ports on your employer's router, but check the manual for your router to be sure.

You'll also want to make sure your wireless is operating on a non-interfering channel from your employer's.

sturm

Splendid
If your company does not want wireless access to your network then there is a reason for that. Why they gave you a wireless router I don't know. I would check with them and make sure you can add a wireless router or ap to your network.
My wife works for a medical insurance company and works from home. She herself can't connect with wireless while working due to HIPPA laws but we can have other wireless connections. I have the wireless turned off since I dont use it right now.

Madwand

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
If your company does not want wireless access to your network then there is a reason for that. Why they gave you a wireless router I don't know. I would check with them and make sure you can add a wireless router or ap to your network.
My wife works for a medical insurance company and works from home. She herself can't connect with wireless while working due to HIPPA laws but we can have other wireless connections. I have the wireless turned off since I dont use it right now.

Good points. And if you do set up wireless, be sure to use decent security -- at least WPA with a long randomized passkey.

TRENDING THREADS