Custom Built Freezing HELP!!! PLEASE!!!

geofftelforduk

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2007
Hi all,

I am new here and would like to tap into your brains for some info on why my machine is freezing.

Heres what happens:

I will be working away as normal, with a few or no applications running. All of a sudden the mouse and keyboard will stop working. There are no error messages presented and nothing of significance on the System Event Log. A reboot generally cures it, at least for a time. It happened the first time - about 3 weeks ago and then it happens completely at random since then. It had happened for the last week and then yesterday morning it crashed about 3 times in 10 minutes. The machine is only 2 months old and it is really annoying me.

Here is the spec:

- LG 20" LCD L204WT TCO-03 Black/Silver
- Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe, nForce 570 SLI,
- AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ 2.4GHz Socket AM2
- Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB SATA2
- Crucial DDR2 PC5300 2048MB CL5
- Samsung CD burner, SH-R522C,
- Hiper PSU ATX 530W Black, Type-M, 120mm
- Trust Modem 56k V90/92 Internal PCI
- Akasa 5 1/4" All in one fan control,
- Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP2b
- Gainward GeForce 7600GT 256MB GDDR3,
- NETGEAR Wireless PCI Adapter
- APLUS Case 188A, Black Midi tower,
- Creative Inspire T6100, 5.1 Speaker
- LG DVD±RW burner, GSA-H12LRB, 18x

Any help and advice would be much appreciate. I have been reading about potential driver issues with the NVidia On Board sound, but then others say that this is the problem.

Please help!

Regards
Geoff

NELS

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
Are all your motherboard drivers updated, specifically your usb drivers (I am guessing have them plugged into the usb ports)? Does changing them from USB ports to PS2 (or vice versa, depending) help? If you have a logitech mouse or keyboard (or any that installs software) try uninstalling the software and reverting to the original generic XP drivers.

All I can think of right now, hope some of it helps.

-Levi

geofftelforduk

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2007
Yeah I have a logitech wireless keyboard and mouse. I already had the wireless mouse from a previous machine. I then bought the wireless keyboard and I am actually using the wireless receiver for the keyboard for both the mouse and the keyboard.

I havent tried them on PS2.

Whats the best way to check if I have the latest motherboard drivers?

The problem is that its so unpredictable and sometimes infrequent that its hard to pinpoint the cause!

Thanks for your help!

Mondoman

Splendid
Try replacing the batteries for the keyboard and mouse. You might also use a wired mouse and keyboard for a while to see if that stops the problem.
You should also look to see if your hard disk activity light is on next time it happens.

geofftelforduk

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2007
Try replacing the batteries for the keyboard and mouse. You might also use a wired mouse and keyboard for a while to see if that stops the problem.
You should also look to see if your hard disk activity light is on next time it happens.

From memory, the hard drive is silent once it crashes but is audible when all is running fine!!

I will try the batteries and see! The keyboard is only about 1.5 months old, so you wouldnt have expected the batteries to be low already! Plus the mouse is rechargeable!

Do you think it could be hard drive!?

PC_Side_Line

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2007
http://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=M2N-SLI+Deluxe&board_id=1

check that out, snd sscroll down the long list, i think other ppl are having ur problem too

After reading a few help msgs, it seems that the ppl knowledgable about ur brd think u should get a power supply with greater wattage.

I would go with a diff brand with 100 wats more wattage than your current

If that doenst work then u have one or more bad sectors on ur HDD which means replace the hdd.