C2D vs Athlon X2 in 64-bit app. - Is the table turned?

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
Tables turned? Not really.

Like m25 and RandMcNally have mentioned, it did decrease the gap, but the lower priced E6600 still had the edge over the 6000+. Add on the overclockablity seen for the E6600, and that edge might even disappear, but that's another topic.

The real turn around is the power comsumption @ load. AMD was always winning that battle, and now, it's still pretty far behind. At idle, it's king, but idle for most people (not companies) is maybe a few hours a day (personally, it's more like 2 mins for me).

Either way, 64 bit Vista does make AMD more competitive.

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006

Like m25 and RandMcNally have mentioned, it did decrease the gap, but the lower priced E6600 still had the edge over the 6000+. Add on the overclockablity seen for the E6600, and that edge might even disappear, but that's another topic.

The real turn around is the power comsumption @ load. AMD was always winning that battle, and now, it's still pretty far behind. At idle, it's king, but idle for most people (not companies) is maybe a few hours a day (personally, it's more like 2 mins for me).

The 65nm X2 they had was very competitive in terms of power consumption, so don't go throwing too many claims around.

gOJDO

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
The gap in performance between C2D and K8 in WinXP (32bit and 64bit) is 20% in average(considering real-world apps), clock for clock. In Vista (32bit and 64bit) the gap is decreased to 15% in average, clock for clock. The reason is the immaturity of Vista and it's poor optimizations. With twice RAM, it performs slower than Win XP. Once SP1 arrives, things will be better for sure (better kernel, better compatibility with old software, optimized drivers, optimized software, etc.).

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002

The 65nm X2 they had was very competitive in terms of power consumption, so don't go throwing too many claims around.

Yes, the X2 3800+ is very good, but not anywhere near competitive in the benchmarks, like the 6000+ was. And the 6000+ was using 60w or more than the E6400 and the E6700.

I was stating that the 6000+'s power consumption is not as good as other X2's, with the 5600+ being an exception. If you want to just look at the X2 3800+, then you must also look at how well the 3800+ did against the E6600/E6700, in the benchmarks. Sure, the X2 3800+ did very well in power under load, but it didn't fair as well in any of the testing vs. the Core 2 CPUs. In fact, the 65nm part was still higher in load, than the C2D's were.

eregular

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
i totally agree with rand on this one, maybe amd's early adoption of 64bit is really going to pay off, I'm no pro but i know k10 is going to be 128 bit...what i'm sayin is how long till 128bit becomes the standard? everything is speeding up so i'm sure they'll have "windows vista SUPREME EDITION" or some gay anus like that...

anyway these benchmarks are awesome i'm glad someone is actually testing this stuff...puts things in perspective in the whol athlon c2d war...

of course being an underdog supporter i think amd has to be twice as smart as intel to compete in this field...and well i don't think their twice as smart anymore...but maybe...sigh...if they could get sooner launches people wouldn't piss and moan about them so much...WHERES MY AM2+ MOBO?! i'd buy one and slap a pos sempron in it and just wait....

seems like amd doesn't rely on clockspeeds as much as intel...

bring on the microarch wars!! intel slapped amd in the face...lets see who wins the 10 paces turn and shoot...kuma hurry up....dear lord...

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
The gap in performance between C2D and K8 in WinXP (32bit and 64bit) is 20% in average(considering real-world apps), clock for clock. In Vista (32bit and 64bit) the gap is decreased to 15% in average, clock for clock. The reason is the immaturity of Vista and it's poor optimizations. With twice RAM, it performs slower than Win XP. Once SP1 arrives, things will be better for sure (better kernel, better compatibility with old software, optimized drivers, optimized software, etc.).

Dude, you're kidding. Vista isn't immature. The only problem I see is the higher RAM requirements, but with 3.25GB Vista is much snappier than XP even with the animations for everything.

I can't believe you actually think they released an unfinished kernel. SW compat is better than it was with XP and software won't be "optimized" for Vista. The only real difference is how the UI is drawn now that Aero is around.

And to think you hollar that OTHER people are unknowing.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
i totally agree with rand on this one, maybe amd's early adoption of 64bit is really going to pay off, I'm no pro but i know k10 is going to be 128 bit...what i'm sayin is how long till 128bit becomes the standard? everything is speeding up so i'm sure they'll have "windows vista SUPREME EDITION" or some gay anus like that...

anyway these benchmarks are awesome i'm glad someone is actually testing this stuff...puts things in perspective in the whol athlon c2d war...

of course being an underdog supporter i think amd has to be twice as smart as intel to compete in this field...and well i don't think their twice as smart anymore...but maybe...sigh...if they could get sooner launches people wouldn't piss and moan about them so much...WHERES MY AM2+ MOBO?! i'd buy one and slap a pos sempron in it and just wait....

seems like amd doesn't rely on clockspeeds as much as intel...

bring on the microarch wars!! intel slapped amd in the face...lets see who wins the 10 paces turn and shoot...kuma hurry up....dear lord...

I think you are misunderstanding the 128bitness of Barcelona. The bit widths are 128 bit for transfer but data is still crunched at 64bit (if using native apps). It will be a long while before we get to a 128bit instruction set.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
We know that in XP the gap widened when using 64-bit.
So theres something wrong or "wrong" with Vista.

No. I would say the difference is because the XP/2003 kernel was completed before A64 was really prevalent. Now that it has been around, optimizations for the extended instuction set just may favor the IMC or HyperTransport.

Or it could be that the use of SuperFetch is affecting the FSB more. Also, the gap didn't widen with XP X64, AMD actually caught up because Core2 lost more perf.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
So you are saying microsoft has never released and unfinished product? Then what the heck do you call Window's ME (Mistake Edition)? It was a rushed product that ended up being the worst OS ever. To me that seems pretty unfinished because if they would have taken the time to do it right it would have been a pretty decent OS.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. At least in terms of the kernel. As a person who worked on every Windows since 98 up to Server 2003, I can say that Vista is ready.
I have it installed and with at least 3GB RAM, it is noticeably snappier than XP with the same amount of RAM.

ME was not rushed. It was a hog compared to 98SE but it introduced several new technologies, like System Restore, SAF, HelpCenter, Remote Help, and several others.

People got upset because it seemed exactly like 98SE. ME was supposed to be Win2K for home use.

eregular

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
I think you are misunderstanding the 128bitness of Barcelona. The bit widths are 128 bit for transfer but data is still crunched at 64bit (if using native apps). It will be a long while before we get to a 128bit instruction set.

o i c...i know its a "native" quadcore but i thought it would somehow be able to run a so called 128bit program because it could function like two 64bit dual cores... :oops:

gOJDO

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
Dude, you're kidding. Vista isn't immature.
Oh please.....tell me about how mature is Vista. :roll: No drivers, no software, not compatible with lots of pre-Longhorn applications, runs slower than pre-Longhorn OSes.....

The only problem I see is the higher RAM requirements, but with 3.25GB Vista is much snappier than XP even with the animations for everything.
You don't know what you are talking....You want to tell me that I need 4GB of RAM, just because of Vista's make up?

I can't believe you actually think they released an unfinished kernel.
I don't believe, I know. They done it so many times, and they have done it again with Vista. Not only WinME, but do you remember Win95 16bit? Also, do you remember when WinXP arrived, how many Win98 apps were incompatible, and Win98 was faster. I see a pattern here, so SP1 will make it better.

SW compat is better than it was with XP and software won't be "optimized" for Vista. The only real difference is how the UI is drawn now that Aero is around.
New software will be written optimized for Vista. And there are a lot more differences between Vista and XP than the GUI.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
More amd media bias - they should be slamming the new "heat oven" "me too" product. Way too nice - o well - with out amd, intel would be charging $2000 a chip so gogo amd!

mr fanboy

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Dude, you're kidding. Vista isn't immature.
Oh please.....tell me about how mature is Vista. :roll: No drivers, no software, not compatible with lots of pre-Longhorn applications, runs slower than pre-Longhorn OSes.....

The only problem I see is the higher RAM requirements, but with 3.25GB Vista is much snappier than XP even with the animations for everything.
You don't know what you are talking....You want to tell me that I need 4GB of RAM, just because of Vista's make up?

I can't believe you actually think they released an unfinished kernel.
I don't believe, I know. They done it so many times, and they have done it again with Vista. Not only WinME, but do you remember Win95 16bit? Also, do you remember when WinXP arrived, how many Win98 apps were incompatible, and Win98 was faster. I see a pattern here, so SP1 will make it better.

SW compat is better than it was with XP and software won't be "optimized" for Vista. The only real difference is how the UI is drawn now that Aero is around.
New software will be written optimized for Vista. And there are a lot more differences between Vista and XP than the GUI.

Hey, it's not my fault Vista wants more RAM. The differences in Vista are mostly the way the kernel is accessed (or if it can be) and the fact that drivers now run in USER mode. SP1 for Vista will not speed it up. it may have some compat patches but it's doubtful. The kernel is ALWAYS the first thing to be completed and optimized as if it doesn't work MALLOC doesn't work and you can't talk to Ring 0.

Ranman68k

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006
Hey, it's not my fault Vista wants more RAM. The differences in Vista are mostly the way the kernel is accessed (or if it can be) and the fact that drivers now run in USER mode. SP1 for Vista will not speed it up. it may have some compat patches but it's doubtful. The kernel is ALWAYS the first thing to be completed and optimized as if it doesn't work MALLOC doesn't work and you can't talk to Ring 0.

The fact that the CPU is in User Mode or in Supervisor Mode should have no effect on the speed of the processor.

A broken Kernel does not necessarilly equal a broken malloc -- not a good analogy.

bydesign

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
BaronMatrix said:
I have it installed and with at least 3GB RAM, it is noticeably snappier than XP with the same amount of RAM.

Barron you should spend more time using your PC and less time posting BS like this. Vista doesn't not have any noticeable pickup in performance going to 3Gb over 2Gb. There are some small gains going from 1.5Gb to 2Gb but it flatten out there. You are going to mislead someone into upgrading there RAM who will be quite disappointed.

I run 4Gb of ram and hate going back to XP for any reason. Even though I hate going back XP is still a faster OS.

eregular

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
god i hated windows 98 i remember my parents spent 5k of a phuckin p3 850 with a geforce 2 gts in it...that a piece of sh!t the first day i got it ...would hang on shutdown...played half life (1) like a complete champ though!!

The compy was so crappy there was no fan on the heatsink on the cpu...just some plastic ducting to the powersupply fan...would overheat like a CHAMP!! crash all the time...oh and the harddrive was so damn noisy...couldn't even finish a defrag overnite on a 20gig hd...

i heard windows vista leaves programs "running" in the ram even if you aren't using them...so the more you use vista the more ram you need?? gotta be some way to turn that crap off....if it exists