Keyboard types wrong letters in Office or I.E. !!!

I have run into a strange problem with my keyboard, working in Office XP or
Internet Explorer, and in the Windows 2000 OS. While typing into an Internet
form, my keyboard suddenly began typing gibberish. Each keystroke seemed to
produce a different letter or symbol than it should have, and these are
repeated consistently. This seems to happen in all Office programs (I’ve
tried Word, Excell and Outlook), and any use of Internet Explorer. I am
however able to log onto Windows OK, if I type in a Windows menu (such as
run) it comes out OK, it types properly in the command module (DOS window),
and in programs such as Quicken and Pagemaker, even Notepad. But not in any
Office module or Internet Explorer! I had to type this in Pagemaker and then
copy it with a cut and paste to get it into this message. What is going on
and how can I fix this.? This is an urgent problem, since I can’t type
documents in Word, answer email, keep records, etc. I can’t even browse to a
web site that is not saved in my list of favorites! HELP!!!
--
Larry S

Long shot here, as you said
> Each keystroke seemed to produce a different letter or symbol
> than it should have, and these are repeated consistently.
but, in case you did not mean an "a" always gets you a "%" but just
that it is doing this (consistently) with Office products and IE, rather
that same original same gibberish, then check whether you have
the microphone turned on and some speach to text input feature
enabled.

--
Roger Abell
Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)