Netcraft Toolbar

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
May 28, 2005 2:39:48 AM

The Netcraft Toolbar, a anti-phishing tool, is now available for Firefox
as well as Internet Explorer.
http://toolbar.netcraft.com/help/faq/index.html
-max

More about : netcraft toolbar

Anonymous
May 28, 2005 12:42:51 PM

What's in a Name? wrote:
> The Netcraft Toolbar, a anti-phishing tool, is now available for Firefox

And this is spam. Anyway, the only "anti-phishing tool" necessary is
common sense.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
May 28, 2005 6:21:59 PM

Bruce Chambers wrote:
> What's in a Name? wrote:
>
>> The Netcraft Toolbar, a anti-phishing tool, is now available for Firefox
>

> And this is spam. Anyway, the only "anti-phishing tool" necessary
> is common sense.

Spam? This is a security newsgroup,yes? Phishing is a security
issue,yes? The toolbar is a free tool to help ID phishing scams.
It is newer and perhaps may be found useful. I was just providing link
to the FAQ's, not trying to spam anyone.
Sorry that you misunderstood and thought it was an ad.
-max
May 28, 2005 6:22:00 PM

What's in a Name? wrote:

> Spam?

Certainly. It's unsolicited advertising.

> This is a security newsgroup,yes?

Obviously.

> Phishing is a security
> issue,yes?

No, not at all. "Phishing" is nothing more a crude attempt to con the
gullible into giving away their personal information. There are *no*
computer security facets to it; it's just a new wrinkle in the ages old
battle between con artists and their prey.

> The toolbar is a free tool to help ID phishing scams.

Which makes it completely unnecessary. It takes no more intelligence
that of a sponge has to identify a phishing scam, particularly as
they've been so well publicized in recent years.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
May 28, 2005 7:29:34 PM

Bruce Chambers wrote:
> What's in a Name? wrote:
>

>> Spam?
>

> Certainly. It's unsolicited advertising.
>

>> This is a security newsgroup,yes?
>

> Obviously.
>

>> Phishing is a security issue,yes?
>

> No, not at all. "Phishing" is nothing more a crude attempt to con
> the gullible into giving away their personal information. There are
> *no* computer security facets to it; it's just a new wrinkle in the ages
> old battle between con artists and their prey.

Yes it is
http://www.honeynet.org/papers/phishing/

>> The toolbar is a free tool to help ID phishing scams.
>

> Which makes it completely unnecessary. It takes no more
> intelligence that of a sponge has to identify a phishing scam,
> particularly as they've been so well publicized in recent years.

New phishing methods are being developed as we speak. It make take more
intel than a sponge can handle.
-max
May 30, 2005 8:27:47 PM

In news:o 1Lhbt7YFHA.3620@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
What's in a Name? <spamthis@nomail.afraid.org> had this to say:

> New phishing methods are being developed as we speak. It make take
> more intel than a sponge can handle.
> -max

Well, I missed this one. Must have skipped this group for a day or two from
the looks of things. Anyhow... I'd like to chime in on this. First there's
some technical methods of phishing that could probably be made more public.
At one point I read (eWeek somewhere) about a potential for the browser to
display a different site name entirely and saw an example where it wasn't
really paypal but looked just like the site and had the name in the address
bar. Second this is un-requested advertising really but at the same time no
one complains when people post each new AdAware update to the groups. I'm a
bit lost on that one. Third, we've hashed this out in the DTS list and
reached the conclusion that it wasn't ready for primetime at this point
because it made some PCs crash and was poorly implimented. It's a great idea
and all but I don't see very many people wanting to add another toolbar.
Finally, I've played with Firefox and found it slow, buggy, and believe it
to be just as insecure as most any other browser and as it gains in
popularity even more exploits will be found in it.

On the other hand if even one person benefited from your post then I say
good and go for it, everyone else seems to do so.

Galen

Sherlock Holmes
Anonymous
June 5, 2005 3:56:26 AM

Galen wrote:

> On the other hand if even one person benefited from your post then I say
> good and go for it, everyone else seems to do so.
>
> Galen

I guess that Bruce only has one hand.
-max

June 6, 2005 7:10:49 PM

In news:42a277b8$0$32608$892e7fe2@authen.white.readfreenews.net,
What's in a Name? <spamthis@nomail.afraid.org> had this to say:

> Galen wrote:
>
>> On the other hand if even one person benefited from your post then I
>> say good and go for it, everyone else seems to do so.
>>
>> Galen
>
> I guess that Bruce only has one hand.
> -max

Nah, I respect Bruce's opinions and have seen him post some great advice in
the past. My views on off-topic links and the like were much the same but
I've become desensitized against them over the years. Now I restrict the
spam reports to those that are simply people trying to sell a product or
promote a website - even when they're on topic so to speak I still make a
point to report them when I see them. As for Bruce I'd happily stand up in
defense of his opinion on the subject most any day, I was merely adding my
opinion to the cluster so to speak.

Galen

Sherlock Holmes
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 1:52:08 AM

Galen wrote:
> In news:42a277b8$0$32608$892e7fe2@authen.white.readfreenews.net,
> What's in a Name? <spamthis@nomail.afraid.org> had this to say:

>>Galen wrote:
>>

>>>On the other hand if even one person benefited from your post then I
>>>say good and go for it, everyone else seems to do so.
>>>
>>>Galen
>>
>>I guess that Bruce only has one hand.
>>-max
>

> Nah, I respect Bruce's opinions and have seen him post some great advice in
> the past. My views on off-topic links and the like were much the same but
> I've become desensitized against them over the years. Now I restrict the
> spam reports to those that are simply people trying to sell a product or
> promote a website - even when they're on topic so to speak I still make a
> point to report them when I see them. As for Bruce I'd happily stand up in
> defense of his opinion on the subject most any day, I was merely adding my
> opinion to the cluster so to speak.
>
> Galen

Well I didn't mean to post spam(I didn't think I did-sorry if I
did)but I think it was wrong to complain to spamcop about me and cause
me to receive a note from my ISP telling me that Bruce didn't like my
post and I should be a good egg from now on and never do that again.
I guess MVP means Most Venomous Person.
-max
June 7, 2005 6:18:11 PM

In news:42a4fd96$0$55643$892e7fe2@authen.white.readfreenews.net,
What's in a Name? <spamthis@nomail.afraid.org> had this to say:

> Well I didn't mean to post spam(I didn't think I did-sorry if I
> did)but I think it was wrong to complain to spamcop about me and cause
> me to receive a note from my ISP telling me that Bruce didn't like my
> post and I should be a good egg from now on and never do that again.
> I guess MVP means Most Venomous Person.
> -max

Again this is my opinion, if you did SPAM then were given a warning not to
then, in my opinion, it's over with. Chances are your ISP doesn't mind
unless you get a bunch of them in short order - they should accept that one
or two posts will perhaps be considered SPAM by some, not being able to
agree one everything is one of the 'benefits' of such a diverse culture as
the internet. As an awardee of the MVP (shell/user category and not current)
I can tell you the intent behind Bruce's posts/warnings are pure. Most of
the people here (yourself included I'm sure) strive to be a benefit to other
users in one way or another. Keeping the newsgroups free from unwanted ad
messages (which I suppose your post technically was) is one of the things
done to ensure better results for all. When it's drastic - I'm pretty
liberal - I've been known to report as well.

*chuckles* At any rate, assuming it's over, you've nothing to worry about
and I'm pretty sure Bruce doesn't harbor any malicious feelings towards you
personally only towards SPAM. (Again that's my opinion, he just might after
all. <g>) The MVP doesn't stand for that and they are all just a free
support network for people to use either as a last resort or as a first
responder. They're the helpdesk for companies who can't afford one and for
end-users abandoned by OEMs.

Galen

Sherlock Holmes
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 9:35:17 PM

Galen wrote:
> In news:42a4fd96$0$55643$892e7fe2@authen.white.readfreenews.net,
> What's in a Name? <spamthis@nomail.afraid.org> had this to say:

>>Well I didn't mean to post spam(I didn't think I did-sorry if I
>>did)but I think it was wrong to complain to spamcop about me and cause
>>me to receive a note from my ISP telling me that Bruce didn't like my
>>post and I should be a good egg from now on and never do that again.
>>I guess MVP means Most Venomous Person.
>>-max
>

> Again this is my opinion, if you did SPAM then were given a warning not to
> then, in my opinion, it's over with. Chances are your ISP doesn't mind
> unless you get a bunch of them in short order - they should accept that one
> or two posts will perhaps be considered SPAM by some, not being able to
> agree one everything is one of the 'benefits' of such a diverse culture as
> the internet. As an awardee of the MVP (shell/user category and not current)
> I can tell you the intent behind Bruce's posts/warnings are pure. Most of
> the people here (yourself included I'm sure) strive to be a benefit to other
> users in one way or another. Keeping the newsgroups free from unwanted ad
> messages (which I suppose your post technically was) is one of the things
> done to ensure better results for all. When it's drastic - I'm pretty
> liberal - I've been known to report as well.
>
> *chuckles* At any rate, assuming it's over, you've nothing to worry about
> and I'm pretty sure Bruce doesn't harbor any malicious feelings towards you
> personally only towards SPAM. (Again that's my opinion, he just might after
> all. <g>) The MVP doesn't stand for that and they are all just a free
> support network for people to use either as a last resort or as a first
> responder. They're the helpdesk for companies who can't afford one and for
> end-users abandoned by OEMs.
>
> Galen

I was just trying to be helpful and share information. That is the
basis of my website and the reason that I post. Almost everything I
have learned about computers in the past 5 yrs. has been from
newsgroups. I have met some very nice and helpful people and now that
I have learned some things (obviously not enough!),I want to return
the favor. I will be more careful in the future in what I post.
Sorry to the MVP's about the venomous thing-I was just venting a little.
-max
When I stop learning,I stop living.
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 1:12:16 PM

In article <42a4fd96$0$55643$892e7fe2@authen.white.readfreenews.net>, in
the microsoft.public.win2000.security news group, What's in a Name?
<spamthis@nomail.afraid.org> says...

> Well I didn't mean to post spam(I didn't think I did-sorry if I
> did)but I think it was wrong to complain to spamcop about me and cause
> me to receive a note from my ISP telling me that Bruce didn't like my
> post and I should be a good egg from now on and never do that again.

If Bruce did that then he's an ass. Your post was not spam, you were
simply trying to point out a tool that you thought was useful.
Don't judge all MVPs by Bruce's actions here.

--
Paul Adare
MVP - Windows - Virtual Machine

Paul Adare wrote:
> In article <42a4fd96$0$55643$892e7fe2@authen.white.readfreenews.net>, in
> the microsoft.public.win2000.security news group, What's in a Name?
> <spamthis@nomail.afraid.org> says...
>

>>Well I didn't mean to post spam(I didn't think I did-sorry if I
>>did)but I think it was wrong to complain to spamcop about me and cause
>>me to receive a note from my ISP telling me that Bruce didn't like my
>>post and I should be a good egg from now on and never do that again.
>>

> If Bruce did that then he's an ass. Your post was not spam, you were
> simply trying to point out a tool that you thought was useful.
> Don't judge all MVPs by Bruce's actions here.

Thank you for your kind words-I would never judge a group by the
actions of one.
-max