Netcraft Toolbar

The Netcraft Toolbar, a anti-phishing tool, is now available for Firefox
as well as Internet Explorer.
http://toolbar.netcraft.com/help/faq/index.html
-max
More about netcraft toolbar

    What's in a Name? wrote:
    > The Netcraft Toolbar, a anti-phishing tool, is now available for Firefox

    And this is spam. Anyway, the only "anti-phishing tool" necessary is
    common sense.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Bruce Chambers wrote:
    > What's in a Name? wrote:
    >
    >> The Netcraft Toolbar, a anti-phishing tool, is now available for Firefox
    >

    > And this is spam. Anyway, the only "anti-phishing tool" necessary
    > is common sense.

    Spam? This is a security newsgroup,yes? Phishing is a security
    issue,yes? The toolbar is a free tool to help ID phishing scams.
    It is newer and perhaps may be found useful. I was just providing link
    to the FAQ's, not trying to spam anyone.
    Sorry that you misunderstood and thought it was an ad.
    -max

    What's in a Name? wrote:

    > Spam?

    Certainly. It's unsolicited advertising.

    > This is a security newsgroup,yes?

    Obviously.

    > Phishing is a security
    > issue,yes?

    No, not at all. "Phishing" is nothing more a crude attempt to con the
    gullible into giving away their personal information. There are *no*
    computer security facets to it; it's just a new wrinkle in the ages old
    battle between con artists and their prey.

    > The toolbar is a free tool to help ID phishing scams.

    Which makes it completely unnecessary. It takes no more intelligence
    that of a sponge has to identify a phishing scam, particularly as
    they've been so well publicized in recent years.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Bruce Chambers wrote:
    > What's in a Name? wrote:
    >

    >> Spam?
    >

    > Certainly. It's unsolicited advertising.
    >

    >> This is a security newsgroup,yes?
    >

    > Obviously.
    >

    >> Phishing is a security issue,yes?
    >

    > No, not at all. "Phishing" is nothing more a crude attempt to con
    > the gullible into giving away their personal information. There are
    > *no* computer security facets to it; it's just a new wrinkle in the ages
    > old battle between con artists and their prey.

    Yes it is
    http://www.honeynet.org/papers/phishing/

    >> The toolbar is a free tool to help ID phishing scams.
    >

    > Which makes it completely unnecessary. It takes no more
    > intelligence that of a sponge has to identify a phishing scam,
    > particularly as they've been so well publicized in recent years.

    New phishing methods are being developed as we speak. It make take more
    intel than a sponge can handle.
    -max

    In news:O1Lhbt7YFHA.3620@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    What's in a Name? <spamthis@nomail.afraid.org> had this to say:

    > New phishing methods are being developed as we speak. It make take
    > more intel than a sponge can handle.
    > -max

    Well, I missed this one. Must have skipped this group for a day or two from
    the looks of things. Anyhow... I'd like to chime in on this. First there's
    some technical methods of phishing that could probably be made more public.
    At one point I read (eWeek somewhere) about a potential for the browser to
    display a different site name entirely and saw an example where it wasn't
    really paypal but looked just like the site and had the name in the address
    bar. Second this is un-requested advertising really but at the same time no
    one complains when people post each new AdAware update to the groups. I'm a
    bit lost on that one. Third, we've hashed this out in the DTS list and
    reached the conclusion that it wasn't ready for primetime at this point
    because it made some PCs crash and was poorly implimented. It's a great idea
    and all but I don't see very many people wanting to add another toolbar.
    Finally, I've played with Firefox and found it slow, buggy, and believe it
    to be just as insecure as most any other browser and as it gains in
    popularity even more exploits will be found in it.

    On the other hand if even one person benefited from your post then I say
    good and go for it, everyone else seems to do so.

    Galen

    Sherlock Holmes

    Galen wrote:

    > On the other hand if even one person benefited from your post then I say
    > good and go for it, everyone else seems to do so.
    >
    > Galen

    I guess that Bruce only has one hand.
    -max

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.security (More info?)

    In news:42a277b8$0$32608$892e7fe2@authen.white.readfreenews.net,
    What's in a Name? <spamthis@nomail.afraid.org> had this to say:

    > Galen wrote:
    >
    >> On the other hand if even one person benefited from your post then I
    >> say good and go for it, everyone else seems to do so.
    >>
    >> Galen
    >
    > I guess that Bruce only has one hand.
    > -max

    Nah, I respect Bruce's opinions and have seen him post some great advice in
    the past. My views on off-topic links and the like were much the same but
    I've become desensitized against them over the years. Now I restrict the
    spam reports to those that are simply people trying to sell a product or
    promote a website - even when they're on topic so to speak I still make a
    point to report them when I see them. As for Bruce I'd happily stand up in
    defense of his opinion on the subject most any day, I was merely adding my
    opinion to the cluster so to speak.

    Galen

    Sherlock Holmes
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.security (More info?)

    Galen wrote:
    > In news:42a277b8$0$32608$892e7fe2@authen.white.readfreenews.net,
    > What's in a Name? <spamthis@nomail.afraid.org> had this to say:

    >>Galen wrote:
    >>

    >>>On the other hand if even one person benefited from your post then I
    >>>say good and go for it, everyone else seems to do so.
    >>>
    >>>Galen
    >>
    >>I guess that Bruce only has one hand.
    >>-max
    >

    > Nah, I respect Bruce's opinions and have seen him post some great advice in
    > the past. My views on off-topic links and the like were much the same but
    > I've become desensitized against them over the years. Now I restrict the
    > spam reports to those that are simply people trying to sell a product or
    > promote a website - even when they're on topic so to speak I still make a
    > point to report them when I see them. As for Bruce I'd happily stand up in
    > defense of his opinion on the subject most any day, I was merely adding my
    > opinion to the cluster so to speak.
    >
    > Galen

    Well I didn't mean to post spam(I didn't think I did-sorry if I
    did)but I think it was wrong to complain to spamcop about me and cause
    me to receive a note from my ISP telling me that Bruce didn't like my
    post and I should be a good egg from now on and never do that again.
    I guess MVP means Most Venomous Person.
    -max
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.security (More info?)

    In news:42a4fd96$0$55643$892e7fe2@authen.white.readfreenews.net,
    What's in a Name? <spamthis@nomail.afraid.org> had this to say:

    > Well I didn't mean to post spam(I didn't think I did-sorry if I
    > did)but I think it was wrong to complain to spamcop about me and cause
    > me to receive a note from my ISP telling me that Bruce didn't like my
    > post and I should be a good egg from now on and never do that again.
    > I guess MVP means Most Venomous Person.
    > -max

    Again this is my opinion, if you did SPAM then were given a warning not to
    then, in my opinion, it's over with. Chances are your ISP doesn't mind
    unless you get a bunch of them in short order - they should accept that one
    or two posts will perhaps be considered SPAM by some, not being able to
    agree one everything is one of the 'benefits' of such a diverse culture as
    the internet. As an awardee of the MVP (shell/user category and not current)
    I can tell you the intent behind Bruce's posts/warnings are pure. Most of
    the people here (yourself included I'm sure) strive to be a benefit to other
    users in one way or another. Keeping the newsgroups free from unwanted ad
    messages (which I suppose your post technically was) is one of the things
    done to ensure better results for all. When it's drastic - I'm pretty
    liberal - I've been known to report as well.

    *chuckles* At any rate, assuming it's over, you've nothing to worry about
    and I'm pretty sure Bruce doesn't harbor any malicious feelings towards you
    personally only towards SPAM. (Again that's my opinion, he just might after
    all. <g>) The MVP doesn't stand for that and they are all just a free
    support network for people to use either as a last resort or as a first
    responder. They're the helpdesk for companies who can't afford one and for
    end-users abandoned by OEMs.

    Galen

    Sherlock Holmes
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.security (More info?)

    Galen wrote:
    > In news:42a4fd96$0$55643$892e7fe2@authen.white.readfreenews.net,
    > What's in a Name? <spamthis@nomail.afraid.org> had this to say:

    >>Well I didn't mean to post spam(I didn't think I did-sorry if I
    >>did)but I think it was wrong to complain to spamcop about me and cause
    >>me to receive a note from my ISP telling me that Bruce didn't like my
    >>post and I should be a good egg from now on and never do that again.
    >>I guess MVP means Most Venomous Person.
    >>-max
    >

    > Again this is my opinion, if you did SPAM then were given a warning not to
    > then, in my opinion, it's over with. Chances are your ISP doesn't mind
    > unless you get a bunch of them in short order - they should accept that one
    > or two posts will perhaps be considered SPAM by some, not being able to
    > agree one everything is one of the 'benefits' of such a diverse culture as
    > the internet. As an awardee of the MVP (shell/user category and not current)
    > I can tell you the intent behind Bruce's posts/warnings are pure. Most of
    > the people here (yourself included I'm sure) strive to be a benefit to other
    > users in one way or another. Keeping the newsgroups free from unwanted ad
    > messages (which I suppose your post technically was) is one of the things
    > done to ensure better results for all. When it's drastic - I'm pretty
    > liberal - I've been known to report as well.
    >
    > *chuckles* At any rate, assuming it's over, you've nothing to worry about
    > and I'm pretty sure Bruce doesn't harbor any malicious feelings towards you
    > personally only towards SPAM. (Again that's my opinion, he just might after
    > all. <g>) The MVP doesn't stand for that and they are all just a free
    > support network for people to use either as a last resort or as a first
    > responder. They're the helpdesk for companies who can't afford one and for
    > end-users abandoned by OEMs.
    >
    > Galen

    I was just trying to be helpful and share information. That is the
    basis of my website and the reason that I post. Almost everything I
    have learned about computers in the past 5 yrs. has been from
    newsgroups. I have met some very nice and helpful people and now that
    I have learned some things (obviously not enough!),I want to return
    the favor. I will be more careful in the future in what I post.
    Sorry to the MVP's about the venomous thing-I was just venting a little.
    -max
    When I stop learning,I stop living.
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.security (More info?)

    In article <42a4fd96$0$55643$892e7fe2@authen.white.readfreenews.net>, in
    the microsoft.public.win2000.security news group, What's in a Name?
    <spamthis@nomail.afraid.org> says...

    > Well I didn't mean to post spam(I didn't think I did-sorry if I
    > did)but I think it was wrong to complain to spamcop about me and cause
    > me to receive a note from my ISP telling me that Bruce didn't like my
    > post and I should be a good egg from now on and never do that again.

    If Bruce did that then he's an ass. Your post was not spam, you were
    simply trying to point out a tool that you thought was useful.
    Don't judge all MVPs by Bruce's actions here.

    --
    Paul Adare
    MVP - Windows - Virtual Machine

    Paul Adare wrote:
    > In article <42a4fd96$0$55643$892e7fe2@authen.white.readfreenews.net>, in
    > the microsoft.public.win2000.security news group, What's in a Name?
    > <spamthis@nomail.afraid.org> says...
    >

    >>Well I didn't mean to post spam(I didn't think I did-sorry if I
    >>did)but I think it was wrong to complain to spamcop about me and cause
    >>me to receive a note from my ISP telling me that Bruce didn't like my
    >>post and I should be a good egg from now on and never do that again.
    >>

    > If Bruce did that then he's an ass. Your post was not spam, you were
    > simply trying to point out a tool that you thought was useful.
    > Don't judge all MVPs by Bruce's actions here.

    Thank you for your kind words-I would never judge a group by the
    actions of one.
    -max

Internet Explorer Virus Windows