My system worth the GPU upgrade?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Performance
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 21, 2007 1:54:31 PM

I currently have a p4 2.6c (800mhz FSB) with 1gig of RAM with an AGP mobo. My current video card is a 9600XT with 128MB. Is my system even worth upgrading the video card to a better AGP card (probably around the mid 100s range) or will I not get a good enough performance boost from that upgrade because of my system specs?

I am a gamer and mainly play World of Warcraft, where the video card is decent on low/medium settings in most cases, but performance can be horrible at times.

I am thinking about picking up another game or two, something like oblivion or assassin's creed.

More about : system worth gpu upgrade

February 21, 2007 2:09:46 PM

Your WoW performance is probably more affected by lag and your internet connection than your videocard.

A 7600 GT or X1650 XT would be a nice upgrade for you, but I doubt it'd do much for WoW.
February 21, 2007 2:46:38 PM

WoW performance I believe is more of the system instead of the lag. my latency and connection have always been pretty solid green. It runs nicely at 20-30 FPS at low/med settings in several locations (not many but they are there) but as soon as I enter a city or something else of that nature, and even out in the world exploring I have run as low as 1.4 FPS and hover roughly around 5-10. That was after cutting my settings down to low.

My main concern is that the system will become the bottleneck if I get the better card and not give me the performance upgrade. I still debate on spending the money for an AGP upgrade card and saving up and replace the entire thing (which will be a few months down the road before that can happen).

Those cards mentioned have peaked my interest from the reviews on this site, and are great cards for the game I do play and even the future games I am interested in. I am just not sure for the bang for my buck is it worth upgrading the card or the system as a whole.
Related resources
February 21, 2007 2:50:04 PM

For Oblivion, you will need lots more horsepower.
Better CPU and much more than a mid 100s GPU.

In regards to WoW, it is most likely your connection to thet internet or the WoW server you are on since its intermittent. If it was your PC, it would slow each time doing similar items.

The better graphic card would mostly make the game look better.
I have a 5200Ultra on one of my servers that sees WoW time on very rare occassions. The game performs about the same as my gaming system, except for the cruddy graphics. No real difference in lag, etc...
February 21, 2007 3:06:07 PM

Quote:
I have run as low as 1.4 FPS and hover roughly around 5-10. That was after cutting my settings down to low.

I have seen WoW run much better than that on a much slower system than yours, a 1400 Mhz Athlon with a Geforce4 Ti4200. Never ever came close to stuttering.

Something's wrong with your system... maybe some TSRs using resources, methinks.
February 21, 2007 3:55:19 PM

Quote:
WoW performance I believe is more of the system instead of the lag. my latency and connection have always been pretty solid green. It runs nicely at 20-30 FPS at low/med settings in several locations (not many but they are there) but as soon as I enter a city or something else of that nature, and even out in the world exploring I have run as low as 1.4 FPS and hover roughly around 5-10. That was after cutting my settings down to low.

My main concern is that the system will become the bottleneck if I get the better card and not give me the performance upgrade. I still debate on spending the money for an AGP upgrade card and saving up and replace the entire thing (which will be a few months down the road before that can happen).

Those cards mentioned have peaked my interest from the reviews on this site, and are great cards for the game I do play and even the future games I am interested in. I am just not sure for the bang for my buck is it worth upgrading the card or the system as a whole.

Your system isn't as good as what they're giving credit for. Your video card is dated. Get yourself a new system before spending more cash on a new video card. Period. Don't buy Oblivion yet, it won't work on your system. Just trust me on that. You need at least a 6800GT to play Oblivion half decently.
February 21, 2007 4:49:07 PM

Quote:
You need at least a 6800GT to play Oblivion half decently.

He's trying to play WoW, not Oblivion... and we're adressing the problem first, not the symptom. Something's wrong if he can't play WoW on that system.

For tougher titles like Oblivion he wouldn't necessarily need a better system either, a P4 with an X1950 PRO will play oblivion really well. A new platform isn't necessarily needed either.
February 21, 2007 5:12:46 PM

When I get home late tonight, I will check out my connection, ping the server, and record some latency times and see if I can see if connection is a prob... It should not be since I am on DSL (3360 KBits/Sec by 864 KBits/Sec) and I do not ever remember the connection bar ever getting to yellow or red. It is fairly consistent with where I get great FPS, taking the bat/gryphs or when I create a new char, the newbie zone is usually fairly good to me, except when BC came out, but all bets were off on that day.

Thanks btw for all the replies. My goal eventually will be upgrading my system, but hoping to prolong that as long as possible while I continue with what I got. But if the best bang for the buck is a new system, I will just not waste my money with the card and continue saving.
February 21, 2007 5:18:43 PM

In Task Mgr, under "Physical Memory" what do you ahve for Total and Available" both before and after entering WoW?

Does restarting WoW help?
I have noticed that in the past toggling in/out of WoW would lead to WoW taking more and more memory and cause it to slow down quite a bit.

The issue was really only seen on my system with 1gb of memory.
The issue was not apparent with 2gb of memory, which is likely due to the large amount of extra memory I have.
February 21, 2007 6:18:05 PM

His graphics card is dated.

My current system is an AMD 2600+, 1.5gb ram, x800xt graphics and i play wow with a solid 30+ fps, rare occasion it dips below 20 at 1600x1200 resolution.

And don't go shoving a new PC down his throat just yet, if he upgraded to a 7600GT or 1650XT graphics it would suffice for oblivion, <mine plays it on medium settings at 1600x1200> with occasional graphics problems, most times stays between 20-35fps though.

If you put in a 7600GT or 1650XT you would be able to get another year or so out of the machine. In my opinion this is a more practical approach, since there will be many more direct x 10 cards on the market by that time and the cost will have come down some as well. If you aren't concerned about the games looking amazing and just being able to play the game, upgrade the graphics <spend 125-175, no more> and let the machine last you a bit longer.
February 21, 2007 6:26:16 PM

My brother runs WoW smoothly with a 9600Pro, and that's with most everything maxed. Something else is wrong with his system.
February 21, 2007 6:27:16 PM

What you're saying is true, but you're playing at 1600x1200... that's pretty high.

WoW isn't a twitch game so superhigh resolutions aren't necessary, a 9600 should get really nice framerates at 1024x768 in WoW, maybe even 1280x1024...
February 21, 2007 7:49:00 PM

i wouldn't disagree that it's running unusually slow...

i'm just sayin' don't tell him to buy a new PC when it really isn't needed right now.
February 21, 2007 7:55:20 PM

Quote:

i'm just sayin' don't tell him to buy a new PC when it really isn't needed right now.

On that point sir, we are in total agreement. :) 
February 21, 2007 9:54:01 PM

Quote:

He's trying to play WoW, not Oblivion... and we're adressing the problem first, not the symptom. Something's wrong if he can't play WoW on that system.

For tougher titles like Oblivion he wouldn't necessarily need a better system either, a P4 with an X1950 PRO will play oblivion really well. A new platform isn't necessarily needed either.

Quote:
I am thinking about picking up another game or two, something like oblivion or assassin's creed.

He asked if he should get a better AGP graphics card. I told him no. I believe I DID address what he asked? Thanks. You can shut up now. A better AGP card for an old system like that would be a waste. He'd probably need more RAM too for Oblivion. So DDR+AGP= No thanks. You can upgrade to a Core2Duo and board with ram for $350 or so. Why spend that much on an old system too? It's like buying an X1900 GT or an 8800 GTS. Spend the xtra 150 and save yourself from being unable to play new games in 5 months.
February 21, 2007 9:55:37 PM

Quote:

On that point sir, we are in total agreement. :) 

It may not be "needed" but it'd be stupid to buy an AGP card costing $200 that he can't use later on and that doesn't have DX10. Same with ram. Here's an old addage for you...don't try to criticize good advice.
February 21, 2007 10:20:33 PM

Quote:
You can upgrade to a Core2Duo and board with ram for $350 or so. Why spend that much on an old system too?
C2D: 175$. Mobo: 100$. RAM: 165$. So right now we spent 440$, and yet we still have no video card?! Because that'll be needed also. So add in some decent GPU at around 200$, and that's 640$ for the upgrade.

Ok. Now an X1650XT AGP is worth 170$, not counting possible rebates. It sure can't beat the full C2D setup, but it's also 27% of the price. Are you saying the boost in performance isn't worth the investement? Sure, AGP is a dead-end, but changing mobo and proc now or later what does it change? The point is how to get good performance for as little money as possible. From this point of view, I think the 170$ solution is worth a serious look compared to the 640$ solution.
February 21, 2007 10:23:56 PM

You can shut up now. You act like your advice is the only advise anybody should consider. Have you considered that maybe the OP doesn't want to deal with a upgrading everything. Maybe he just wants to spend a couple hundred $$ to breathe some new life into his system. It may not seem smart to you, but if that's what he wants to do, we'll try and help him do that. Cleeve's response to you wasn't mean spirited in any way, yet you respond to him like he kicked you in the balls you wish you had.

Was your banishment temporary? Because I could swear you were banned from here a week or so ago. You should have stayed away. But no, you had to come in here and totally change the mood of this thread with your BS. Thanks a lot a$$hole.
a b U Graphics card
February 21, 2007 11:09:36 PM

goofball!
a b U Graphics card
February 21, 2007 11:11:59 PM

Quote:
You can shut up now. You act like your advice is the only advise anybody should consider. Have you considered that maybe the OP doesn't want to deal with a upgrading everything. Maybe he just wants to spend a couple hundred $$ to breathe some new life into his system. It may not seem smart to you, but if that's what he wants to do, we'll try and help him do that. Cleeve's response to you wasn't mean spirited in any way, yet you respond to him like he kicked you in the balls you wish you had.

ha, ha. good going k :wink:
February 21, 2007 11:23:12 PM

Quote:

:-) So easy to get these kids riled up. They're always looking for a fight. I dont' think these dumbasses get that even with a top end AGP card he can't play some games that are already out. Why bother spending $200 on a new AGP card that's already outdated? I won't even spend $200 on a non-DX10 card, and I refuse to put another 2 gigs of$100/per module DDR RAM in my system for Vista. 2 is enough for my "OLD" Socket 939's...I don't plan on upgrading for awhile, but I'm not gonna keep dumping cash into a dying cow. His has been dying a few years now. Socket 478 has reached the +3 year mark. Get over it suckers.
a b U Graphics card
February 21, 2007 11:30:41 PM

Quote:

:-) So easy to get these kids riled up. They're always looking for a fight. I dont' think these dumbasses get that even with a top end AGP card he can't play some games that are already out. Why bother spending $200 on a new AGP card that's already outdated? I won't even spend $200 on a non-DX10 card, and I refuse to put another 2 gigs of$100/per module DDR RAM in my system for Vista. 2 is enough for my "OLD" Socket 939's...I don't plan on upgrading for awhile, but I'm not gonna keep dumping cash into a dying cow. His has been dying a few years now. Socket 478 has reached the +3 year mark. Get over it suckers.

well those (dumb asses) can play all games that are currently out,
with an agp card :roll:
the op is looking to spend around 150ish for a new card,
and something like a 76gt or x1650 should work fine.
a b U Graphics card
February 21, 2007 11:31:40 PM

@ ryanmicah
Quote:
You can upgrade to a Core2Duo and board with ram for $350 or so. Why spend that much on an old system too?
C2D: 175$. Mobo: 100$. RAM: 165$. So right now we spent 440$, and yet we still have no video card?! Because that'll be needed also. So add in some decent GPU at around 200$, and that's 640$ for the upgrade.

Ok. Now an X1650XT AGP is worth 170$, not counting possible rebates. It sure can't beat the full C2D setup, but it's also 27% of the price. Are you saying the boost in performance isn't worth the investement? Sure, AGP is a dead-end, but changing mobo and proc now or later what does it change? The point is how to get good performance for as little money as possible. From this point of view, I think the 170$ solution is worth a serious look compared to the 640$ solution.

as dr. asik said.
February 21, 2007 11:37:54 PM

Quote:

They're always looking for a fight.

Not looking for one, but you were asking for it.

Quote:
I dont' think these dumbasses get that even with a top end AGP card he can't play some games that are already out.

Name one. :roll:

Now, run along little man.
February 21, 2007 11:58:27 PM

Quote:

He can play it with THIS! :wink:
February 22, 2007 1:02:43 AM

Quote:
In Task Mgr, under "Physical Memory" what do you ahve for Total and Available" both before and after entering WoW?

Does restarting WoW help?
I have noticed that in the past toggling in/out of WoW would lead to WoW taking more and more memory and cause it to slow down quite a bit.

The issue was really only seen on my system with 1gb of memory.
The issue was not apparent with 2gb of memory, which is likely due to the large amount of extra memory I have.

Before WoW (numbers might not add up properly because they were ever changing while I was recording)

Physical Memory
Total: 1047280
Available: 621796
System Cache: 476836

After starting WoW and letting it stabilize some

Total: 1047280
Avialable: (after starting and running around for a few min, it went down to 436) now it is back up to ~49000
System Cache: 322020

Latency during this was 68-70ms constant which I think is pretty solid.

As for the other comments... no need to get into an argument or heated debate over this. For me, I am weighing my options and wanted outside assistance and ideas and you all are providing that for me, so I thank you... in the end it will be my decision and I think there are good arguments on both sides.

My system has been very good for me, this is the longest lasting system I have ever owned and it still runs like a champ on almost everything I do. But my curiosity in these newer games have me worried. Will that new card help me play oblivion or assassin's creed... I think it will easily meet that spec and allow my system to play them. But will the performance of my machine make the game no fun, that I am not sure.

My original thoughts were spend the 150ish and get myself a decent card that will make my system last a year or so. But when thinking about that I realized my system is over 4 years old now and was worried. Those cards are great cards and are capable of doing everything I would use it for (maybe not top of the line, but I am not spending for top of the line either).

My worry was that I spend 150ish or whatever and see maybe a 1% increase in performance because of my system is the bottleneck and having the only gain of the new card is having the ability to play the new games with no improvements. That to me would be a total waste of the 150 in my eyes. If that is the case I would just buy the games on a console system, skip them on PC, and play them on that until I buy a new system further down the road.

If I see a substantial amount of performance gain from an upgrade vid card for 150, then woohoo, I am all for that and extending the life of this system. If I see mediocre gains, then I think my money is best spent on a new system entirely and when that bridge comes I will burn that to hell trying to think of what it is I want out of my system.

I am not impulsive enough to run out to the store this second to get a card, so I do not mind waiting and using what I got till I make my decision. I just am hoping and trying to make a wise one :) 

Thank you.
February 22, 2007 1:48:25 AM

Quote:
I currently have a p4 2.6c (800mhz FSB) with 1gig of RAM with an AGP mobo. My current video card is a 9600XT with 128MB. Is my system even worth upgrading the video card to a better AGP card (probably around the mid 100s range) or will I not get a good enough performance boost from that upgrade because of my system specs?

I am a gamer and mainly play World of Warcraft, where the video card is decent on low/medium settings in most cases, but performance can be horrible at times.

Yes, I think your rig is worth the upgrade. Although I could not find any 7600gt agp's cheaper than 190, which is over your budget( and be a worthy upgrade IMO). I did find a 7600 gs which is still better than the 9600 you have, I do not think it will bottleneck your system. Plus when you do decide to build a new one, then you have two. :wink:
a b U Graphics card
February 22, 2007 2:32:29 AM

Quote:
It may not be "needed" but it'd be stupid to buy an AGP card costing $200 that he can't use later on and that doesn't have DX10. Same with ram. Here's an old addage for you...don't try to criticize good advice.

Um, if everyone is criticizing your advice, have you ever considered maybe it's not good advice? :roll:

First, your off on your C2D upgrade cost as has been pointed out.

Second, Give me a link to buy a $200 DX10 pci-e gaming card today. The 320MB GTS is an incredible card for the money, but it's not $200. So what currently available $200 card is future proof in your eyes? How long would he have to wait for one, or should he just plunk down the extra cash for the 8800GTS? And if he were to wait, how is such a card as you suggest going to do when some real big/good DX10 titles like Crysis hit the shelves?

Third, it comes down to paying $40 more for the AGP version of the X1950 pro. A sub $200 AGP card is not too far behind the current best $200 PCI-e card, and like I said, $40 over the equivalent PCI-e version. I guess it's common sense that those $40 should mean a $650+ C2D/2GB/GF8800 upgrade is the only option.

Fourth, Considering he has a P4 2.6C with a gig of RAM and an old 9800XT holding it back, he is a good candidate for a new AGP card if he were playing GPU intensive games. Which WOW is not I may add. But in other games a $190 X1950 pro or $135 X1650XT would do an incredible job over a 9800XT.

Fifth, where did the OP even mention Oblivion? Not to mention a X1950 pro or even a $135 X1650XT both do a decent job in Oblivion, so still support the AGP upgrade is OK route.
a b U Graphics card
February 22, 2007 2:35:21 AM

Nice price for 7600GT AGP. I'd still rather have the iceQ X1650XT turbo for $135, but good to see 7600GT AGP prices moving non-the-less.
February 22, 2007 3:10:54 AM

It's good to see, but that HIS looks better. :) 
!