IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
Does this mean ATi will have implemented the "you can use your old ATi card as a physics card while your new X2x00XT/X is your graphics card" ?

I am truly disappointed about ATi's decision, i mean i just wish they would bring there card to the market, i don't care if its dx10 or not, i mean no one should care right now, all they need to worry about is that if it says dx10 on the box it works when a dx10 game comes out...

I just want to see some new competition and so that by the time dx10 games come out ATi will have released there midrange selection of video cards also, not just there top end stuff...

ADM-86

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2006
uh they just raised the bar, I mean,If after this delay the don't bring something quite powerful and for the budget gamer ,they are gonna get their ass kick by nvidia 8O

741171866392ry5.gif

krisz

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
uh they just raised the bar, I mean,If after this delay the don't bring something quite powerful and for the budget gamer ,they are gonna get their ass kick by nvidia 8O

741171866392ry5.gif

By the time they will have this card reelased Nvidia will have the second gen DX10 cards available 8900, 8950 etc.

I don't think ATI will have a chance. I dont see ATI doing something so incredible that it will beat Nvidia's cards by so much.
Again that is just speculation since they did not release any specs about their cards yet.

Bluefinger

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
I'm quite disappointed with the news, but I guess it may be to do with supply problems rather than anything else. I guess ATI doesn't want to do a paper launch, and so they had to delay the launch a bit more so to build a big enough stockpile to meet initial demand, all the while allowing their other products or drivers for the products to be made better. To be honest, I guess I'll have to wait anyway, since I can't even afford to go with Nvidia at this moment in time. Perhaps I should just go buy myself a Wii (if I can find one that is) and wait until Q3 so things get competitive again (because I'm sure Nvidia will overprice their 8600GT on release with no ATI offering to compete against it).

Also, on a side note, with AMD delaying the launch of R600 to Q2, it pretty much coincides with the release of K10. So in a business sense, it may actually not be a bad decision. By releasing a variety of new products within a short space of time and flooding the market with them, it could actually be more beneficial for AMD/ATI. Whether it pleases customers or not is another matter.

krisz

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
I'm quite disappointed with the news, but I guess it may be to do with supply problems rather than anything else.

Here is a quote from the editor of that article:
Editor's Day which was scheduled around March 11 (flights and hotels were already booked) has been postponed to the second quarter of 2007.
The reason is that their R600 Series is not where they want it to be yet, so they decided to move the launch to be able to deliver a competitive product.

I don't think it is a supply problem. Even if it is what's up with this retarded secret about any specs of their card? Maybe it sucks and they dont want to release any info about it until they make sure it is at least a little bit faster than the G80. Otherwise why wouldn't they release some info about the card(s). I dont see any other logical explanation

krisz

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
They should at least release a tech demo or some technical details or anything to create a little hype about their cards so people who are waiting for it has something to chew on until the card finally makes it to store shelves.

But no the prick ATI will keep it all to themselves. That pisses me off more than anything.

But no the prick ATI will keep it all to themselves. That pisses me off more than anything.

Why would leaking specs help, if anything saying it's delayed is far better for consumers. If anything releasing specs would be amount to posting FUD.

Like Rob said get a GF8800 (IMO GTS) and you won't be dissapointed until 'MAYBE' something comes out later, but then you get all the enjoyment in the meantime.

Since they came out, that has been my recommendation, you can't miss with that. Even if you think something is better later, sell and upgrade, just as if it was a move from the X1950 to GF8800

bojack13

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
Makes me feel a little bit better for being impatient and getting the 8800, even though the r600 will probably still be better after it's (finally) released :oops:

Bluefinger

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
I'm quite disappointed with the news, but I guess it may be to do with supply problems rather than anything else.

Here is a quote from the editor of that article:
Editor's Day which was scheduled around March 11 (flights and hotels were already booked) has been postponed to the second quarter of 2007.
The reason is that their R600 Series is not where they want it to be yet, so they decided to move the launch to be able to deliver a competitive product.

I don't think it is a supply problem. Even if it is what's up with this retarded secret about any specs of their card? Maybe it sucks and they dont want to release any info about it until they make sure it is at least a little bit faster than the G80. Otherwise why wouldn't they release some info about the card(s). I dont see any other logical explanation

The decision to delay the card was based on more of a business perspective than anything. If anything, it could be much more beneficial for the card and for consumers (longer for them to mature the drivers, which isn't a bad thing). Perhaps they are confident enough that the card will still kick ass when it does come out. And to be honest, they did release some info on the card and some pics, though if they released any more information, it would have had knock-on effects with the selling of their current line-out. Best example to quote is the stir C2D caused when Intel released info on it early before its release. Remember the falling stock prices and troubles when everyone started buying less P4 systems as they waited for C2D to come out? I'm sure AMD/ATI doesn't want that to happen to themselves. Its all calculated and I'm sure its not a false move. Hell, DirectX10 ain't even released yet and there are very few games out which support it, so all in all, I don't think ATI's marketshare is under threat, if anything, only the enthusiast sector is where they are losing out, since most can't afford the new Nvidia cards.

And just to note, your post sounded a bit fanboy-ish. Sure, ATI is taking their time, but they've been around quite a while so I'm sure they know what their doing. If you really can't wait, just spare yourself from all the bother and get yourself a 8800GTS or GTX. I'm sure you won't be disappointed with what it offers.

The decision to delay the card was based on more of a business perspective than anything.

Ah-Ha! I figured it out!
wowuv8.gif

ATi/AMD was told the Inflatable Guiness was ruined in a fraternity mishap at the Frisian Univ in the Nederland,

guinness%20glass%20200.jpg

They could only get Giant inflatable Cat Poo for that weekend (St Patty's);
http://www.theartofair.com/item62.htm

and so...

Cancel the party, everyone go home! We'll do this next month, the hall's already book for the next 3 weeks!

I hear their next part will have giant arch because then they'll launch everything but the AMD kitchen sink;

Noahs_ark.jpg

Also really, what kind of parties does an arch go to, it's not like the catholic grannies are gonna get roudy!
fanwave2jn1.gif

Bluefinger

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
Hahahaha :lol: word...

plus you forgot to add with more stuff coming out at once, they would have to get more beer kegs just to make the party complete. Woo for beer!

Derek1387

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2006
that really sux.. i just bought a crossfire board in hopes of getting into ATI Xfire when the new cards come out... guess i got ot wait longer now.

harmattan

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
Pushed back to May?!!! I would have been very upset now if I'd had waited on R600 for the "February" release when I was considering buying back in December. Geez... I'll be able to get 8900 before R600 is released :roll:

Sucks cuz, without the competition, nV can continue to charge a premium on the high end stuff. And since there will be no competion in the midrange for a while after 8600 is released, they'll run AMD/ATI into the ground there.

This kinda reminds of the Cold War arms race in the 80s when the West kept coming up with the tech and USSR kept falling farther behind. Strange though, cuz AMD technically has more resources and fabs to thro at the pwroblem than Nv...

RandMcnally

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
Here's how I see it. AMD delayed it. Here's what we'll see. r600 reviews, k10 barcelona preliminary benchmarks, r600 released (in all it's variations with the dual gpu on one pcb, etc., wait for it, wait for it, mainstream and low end parts on 65nm variations of r600 (and they are killer parts, btw -64pixel shaders for $100!?! WHOAMG thats more than x1950xtx), k10 release of barcelona only.... then we hit Q3 and all of k10 becomes available, desktop, server, and laptop(?)... It's all so that people don't buy r600 for a bunch of intel systems. I think MAYBE? AMD might be able to push their cpu launch dates up a bit?

Huissen

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
There is no real hurry yet for AMD/ATI to release the R600. There still are no DX10 games out yet and although the 8800GTS and 8800GTX are very nice and fast, NVidia has not been able to release decent drivers up till now. I think I just sit it out till may or june.

There is no real hurry yet for AMD/ATI to release the R600. There still are no DX10 games out yet and although the 8800GTS and 8800GTX are very nice and fast, NVidia has not been able to release decent drivers up till now. I think I just sit it out till may or june.

That is a great point. They are very fast cards for dx9 games, but even now you still cannot utilize the full potential of the Nvidia cards. Which begs the question, when DX10 finally does become mainstream, will all the current DX10 cards be up to snuff, or does everyone who bought DX10 cards now have basically outdated technology before it can even be put to use?