Sign in with
Your question

Does CPU performance affect onboard graphics performance?

Last response: in Overclocking
February 21, 2007 2:55:32 PM

I've heard that the higher performance your CPU is, the better the performance of an onboard graphics solution will be. Something about the CPU handling some of the floating point calculations. Is there any truth to this? If so is there a metric out there for how much of an affect having say an Athlon 64 FX series proc has as opposed to a Sempron or some such? Anyone know of anyone who has done the benchmarks to find out? Thanks in advance for any info you have on this.
February 22, 2007 5:29:04 AM

it seem logical. but why would you want onboard graphics...it is very lame and a waste of CPU power. aka CPU needs to constantly run the graphics chip which in turns puts high CPU utilization which in turn makes it hotter.
February 22, 2007 12:52:40 PM

Older games will play fine on SOME onboard graphics. CPU's are cheaper than discrete graphics cards in some cases. So if you're like me and want to be able to justify a comp just for productivity, but would like to unwind with a little Halo on it every once in a while.... Besides that I'll already be shelling out for the cash for the heavy duty processor, and RAM on the newer boards has almost caught up with graphics RAM speed. I'll put one together adn post the results. At least I can add a graphics card later if I don't like the performance.
Related resources
February 22, 2007 1:12:25 PM

You will see no difference. If you want better performing graphics, get a video card. Even a low-end will make a huge difference. That is where your money will be well spent.
February 22, 2007 1:17:08 PM

Copy that, and thanks!
February 22, 2007 1:39:00 PM

The best way to improve on-board graphics is most likely to improve system memory performance. Faster FSB the better. This is because of the shared ram nature of these GPUs.

But as others have noted, on-board graphics is gonna be terrible.
February 23, 2007 4:12:49 AM

i can not imagine why u would care - spend $25 on $50 card with a rebate and you improve any OBG!
!