Event ID: 540
Date: 6/1/2005
Time: 6:36:40 AM
User: RMH\ecoombs
Computer: RMH-CITRIX-1
Successful Network Logon:
User Name: xxxxxxx
Domain: xxxxx
Logon ID: (0x0,0xE5CD350)
Logon Type: 3
Logon Process: NtLmSsp
Authentication Package: NTLM
Workstation Name: xxxxxxxx
This user doesnt show a profile on the server so I am wondering how to track
down what type of activity it was
This user shouldnt be accessing this server
Thanks in advance
4 answers Last reply
More about help security audits

    Check to see if there is a local user account by that name on the server.
    The command net users would be a quick way. For a domain computer, domain
    accounts could also be used to attempt access. When you say profile I don't
    know if you mean user account or user profile as the term seems to be
    interchanged a lot. A profile will not be created until the user logs onto
    the computer at the console or via TS. If that computer should not be
    offering network shares then disable file and print sharing on it or modify
    the user right for access this computer from the network to include only the
    users/groups that should be accessing shares on the computer. It would also
    be a good idea to have auditing of account management enabled to see if
    unauthorized user accounts are being created/deleted. --- Steve

    "WP" <WP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have a win2k terminal server with citrix installed
    > I have auditing setup on this server for successful and unsuccessful logon
    > events
    > In my event viewer I have this
    >
    > Event Type: Success Audit
    > Event Source: Security
    > Event Category: Logon/Logoff
    > Event ID: 540
    > Date: 6/1/2005
    > Time: 6:36:40 AM
    > User: RMH\ecoombs
    > Computer: RMH-CITRIX-1
    > Successful Network Logon:
    > User Name: xxxxxxx
    > Domain: xxxxx
    > Logon ID: (0x0,0xE5CD350)
    > Logon Type: 3
    > Logon Process: NtLmSsp
    > Authentication Package: NTLM
    > Workstation Name: xxxxxxxx
    > This user doesnt show a profile on the server so I am wondering how to
    > track
    > down what type of activity it was
    > This user shouldnt be accessing this server
    > Thanks in advance

    "WP" <WP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have a win2k terminal server with citrix installed
    > I have auditing setup on this server for successful and unsuccessful logon
    > events
    > In my event viewer I have this
    >
    > Event Type: Success Audit
    > Event Source: Security
    > Event Category: Logon/Logoff
    > Event ID: 540
    > Date: 6/1/2005
    > Time: 6:36:40 AM
    > User: RMH\ecoombs
    > Computer: RMH-CITRIX-1
    > Successful Network Logon:
    > User Name: xxxxxxx
    > Domain: xxxxx
    > Logon ID: (0x0,0xE5CD350)
    > Logon Type: 3
    > Logon Process: NtLmSsp
    > Authentication Package: NTLM
    > Workstation Name: xxxxxxxx
    > This user doesnt show a profile on the server so I am wondering how to
    > track
    > down what type of activity it was
    > This user shouldnt be accessing this server
    > Thanks in advance

    logon type 3 is network logon.

    Thanks barry
    however I did know that part
    what I need to find out is what kind of connection
    was it someone making a connection to a share?
    I have no shares on this server
    does anyone know how I can get more detail from this event

    "barry" wrote:

    > "WP" <WP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I have a win2k terminal server with citrix installed
    > > I have auditing setup on this server for successful and unsuccessful logon
    > > events
    > > In my event viewer I have this
    > >
    > > Event Type: Success Audit
    > > Event Source: Security
    > > Event Category: Logon/Logoff
    > > Event ID: 540
    > > Date: 6/1/2005
    > > Time: 6:36:40 AM
    > > User: RMH\ecoombs
    > > Computer: RMH-CITRIX-1
    > > Successful Network Logon:
    > > User Name: xxxxxxx
    > > Domain: xxxxx
    > > Logon ID: (0x0,0xE5CD350)
    > > Logon Type: 3
    > > Logon Process: NtLmSsp
    > > Authentication Package: NTLM
    > > Workstation Name: xxxxxxxx
    > > This user doesnt show a profile on the server so I am wondering how to
    > > track
    > > down what type of activity it was
    > > This user shouldnt be accessing this server
    > > Thanks in advance
    > >

    > logon type 3 is network logon.

    Check out the new System Controls MP from Manakoa. It provides auditing
    guidance and base collection of key security events that might be useful for
    future monitoring of your systems.

    http://www.manakoa.com/products/scmp/

    "Steven L Umbach" wrote:

    > Check to see if there is a local user account by that name on the server.
    > The command net users would be a quick way. For a domain computer, domain
    > accounts could also be used to attempt access. When you say profile I don't
    > know if you mean user account or user profile as the term seems to be
    > interchanged a lot. A profile will not be created until the user logs onto
    > the computer at the console or via TS. If that computer should not be
    > offering network shares then disable file and print sharing on it or modify
    > the user right for access this computer from the network to include only the
    > users/groups that should be accessing shares on the computer. It would also
    > be a good idea to have auditing of account management enabled to see if
    > unauthorized user accounts are being created/deleted. --- Steve
    >

    > "WP" <WP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I have a win2k terminal server with citrix installed
    > > I have auditing setup on this server for successful and unsuccessful logon
    > > events
    > > In my event viewer I have this
    > >
    > > Event Type: Success Audit
    > > Event Source: Security
    > > Event Category: Logon/Logoff
    > > Event ID: 540
    > > Date: 6/1/2005
    > > Time: 6:36:40 AM
    > > User: RMH\ecoombs
    > > Computer: RMH-CITRIX-1
    > > Successful Network Logon:
    > > User Name: xxxxxxx
    > > Domain: xxxxx
    > > Logon ID: (0x0,0xE5CD350)
    > > Logon Type: 3
    > > Logon Process: NtLmSsp
    > > Authentication Package: NTLM
    > > Workstation Name: xxxxxxxx
    > > This user doesnt show a profile on the server so I am wondering how to
    > > track
    > > down what type of activity it was
    > > This user shouldnt be accessing this server
    > > Thanks in advance

Security Servers Windows