pocketpc advice

May 20, 2005 7:52:43 PM

I am thinking about buying the Ipaq HX4705.

I work IT, I am a sys admin.

what kind of value do these things have at present? are most people that
own them happy? I would e-mail, contacts, and basic office stuff, but what
about th entertainment value of this thing

is it worth buying? how mature are the apps and the OS? should I wait a
while? If I were stranded on a desert island, with this thing, and free
wireless internet could I live out the rest of my life ok?

can I get some feedback on people that love theirs and why? can I get
feedback from those that hate theirs and why? thank you in advance. 500
bills is no drop in the bucket for me, so I hope to get a

good feel for wether I should or shouldnt

what are some of the things that I can do with a pocket pc?

More about : pocketpc advice

May 20, 2005 8:59:37 PM

If you are a sys admin, wait for Windows Mobile 5 since not all pdas are
upgradeable and then get a good PPC phone. That way you can use TS to fix
issues remotely if you are in a tough spot. I also keep all of my server
specs in my PDA so I don't have to guess about which office has what IP for
what.

"Mostro" <oveloz@glasfloss.com> wrote in message
news:D 6linq$ck0$1@newsdbm06.news.prodigy.com...
>I am thinking about buying the Ipaq HX4705.
>
> I work IT, I am a sys admin.
>
> what kind of value do these things have at present? are most people that
> own them happy? I would e-mail, contacts, and basic office stuff, but
> what
> about th entertainment value of this thing
>
> is it worth buying? how mature are the apps and the OS? should I wait a
> while? If I were stranded on a desert island, with this thing, and free
> wireless internet could I live out the rest of my life ok?
>
> can I get some feedback on people that love theirs and why? can I get
> feedback from those that hate theirs and why? thank you in advance. 500
> bills is no drop in the bucket for me, so I hope to get a
>
> good feel for wether I should or shouldnt
>
> what are some of the things that I can do with a pocket pc?

Anonymous
May 20, 2005 10:19:09 PM

>> I work IT, I am a sys admin. <<

I can't comment on the HX4705, but I have some suggestions based on your
job description.

Based on my (similar) needs, I would strongly suggest;

Built in wifi

A CF slot (for a CF NIC and/or modem card)

A serial port (for config access to serial devices)

It's a hell of a lot nicer to work in a hot server room using a PPC and
a CF NIC or serial cable rather than balancing a laptop on your knee ;-)

hth,
Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
May 21, 2005 2:28:11 AM

With the edition of a BT or SD or CF or wired GPS, if you were stranded on a
desert island with internet access, you could IM someone your position...or
you might not want to ;)  I'm assuming if the island has free wifi, it also
has free power as well.

--
Sven
MVP - Mobile Devices
"Mostro" <oveloz@glasfloss.com> wrote in message
news:D 6linq$ck0$1@newsdbm06.news.prodigy.com...
>I am thinking about buying the Ipaq HX4705.
>
> I work IT, I am a sys admin.
>
> what kind of value do these things have at present? are most people that
> own them happy? I would e-mail, contacts, and basic office stuff, but
> what
> about th entertainment value of this thing
>
> is it worth buying? how mature are the apps and the OS? should I wait a
> while? If I were stranded on a desert island, with this thing, and free
> wireless internet could I live out the rest of my life ok?
>
> can I get some feedback on people that love theirs and why? can I get
> feedback from those that hate theirs and why? thank you in advance. 500
> bills is no drop in the bucket for me, so I hope to get a
>
> good feel for wether I should or shouldnt
>
> what are some of the things that I can do with a pocket pc?

May 21, 2005 3:07:32 AM

Why does he have to wait for WM5 for TS? 2003 has a built in TS client.

--
Gavin
http://sbscanada.blogspot.com

"boe" <boe_d@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> If you are a sys admin, wait for Windows Mobile 5 since not all pdas are
> upgradeable and then get a good PPC phone. That way you can use TS to fix
> issues remotely if you are in a tough spot. I also keep all of my server
> specs in my PDA so I don't have to guess about which office has what IP
> for what.
>
> "Mostro" <oveloz@glasfloss.com> wrote in message
> news:D 6linq$ck0$1@newsdbm06.news.prodigy.com...
>>I am thinking about buying the Ipaq HX4705.
>>
>> I work IT, I am a sys admin.
>>
>> what kind of value do these things have at present? are most people that
>> own them happy? I would e-mail, contacts, and basic office stuff, but
>> what
>> about th entertainment value of this thing
>>
>> is it worth buying? how mature are the apps and the OS? should I wait a
>> while? If I were stranded on a desert island, with this thing, and free
>> wireless internet could I live out the rest of my life ok?
>>
>> can I get some feedback on people that love theirs and why? can I get
>> feedback from those that hate theirs and why? thank you in advance. 500
>> bills is no drop in the bucket for me, so I hope to get a
>>
>> good feel for wether I should or shouldnt
>>
>> what are some of the things that I can do with a pocket pc?

May 21, 2005 1:26:33 PM

Because WM5 is significantly better - coming out shortly and NOT ALL PDAs
will support the upgrade.
"Gavin" <gavin@INTERPROM.COM.> wrote in message
news:o LciSIbXFHA.584@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Why does he have to wait for WM5 for TS? 2003 has a built in TS client.
>
> --
> Gavin
> http://sbscanada.blogspot.com
> http://pocketpccanada.blogspot.com/
>

> "boe" <boe_d@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> If you are a sys admin, wait for Windows Mobile 5 since not all pdas are
>> upgradeable and then get a good PPC phone. That way you can use TS to
>> fix issues remotely if you are in a tough spot. I also keep all of my
>> server specs in my PDA so I don't have to guess about which office has
>> what IP for what.
>>
>> "Mostro" <oveloz@glasfloss.com> wrote in message
>> news:D 6linq$ck0$1@newsdbm06.news.prodigy.com...
>>>I am thinking about buying the Ipaq HX4705.
>>>
>>> I work IT, I am a sys admin.
>>>
>>> what kind of value do these things have at present? are most people
>>> that
>>> own them happy? I would e-mail, contacts, and basic office stuff, but
>>> what
>>> about th entertainment value of this thing
>>>
>>> is it worth buying? how mature are the apps and the OS? should I wait
>>> while? If I were stranded on a desert island, with this thing, and free
>>> wireless internet could I live out the rest of my life ok?
>>>
>>> can I get some feedback on people that love theirs and why? can I get
>>> feedback from those that hate theirs and why? thank you in advance.
>>> 500
>>> bills is no drop in the bucket for me, so I hope to get a
>>>
>>> good feel for wether I should or shouldnt
>>>
>>> what are some of the things that I can do with a pocket pc?

May 21, 2005 1:36:53 PM

The TS has nothing to do with WM5 vs PPC2003 - the TS has to do with making
sure whatever PDA she gets will be better if she gets a phone version
because not all PDAs support wifi/BT and those access points are everywhere.

"Gavin" <gavin@INTERPROM.COM.> wrote in message
news:o LciSIbXFHA.584@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Why does he have to wait for WM5 for TS? 2003 has a built in TS client.
>
> --
> Gavin
> http://sbscanada.blogspot.com
> http://pocketpccanada.blogspot.com/
>

> "boe" <boe_d@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> If you are a sys admin, wait for Windows Mobile 5 since not all pdas are
>> upgradeable and then get a good PPC phone. That way you can use TS to
>> fix issues remotely if you are in a tough spot. I also keep all of my
>> server specs in my PDA so I don't have to guess about which office has
>> what IP for what.
>>
>> "Mostro" <oveloz@glasfloss.com> wrote in message
>> news:D 6linq$ck0$1@newsdbm06.news.prodigy.com...
>>>I am thinking about buying the Ipaq HX4705.
>>>
>>> I work IT, I am a sys admin.
>>>
>>> what kind of value do these things have at present? are most people
>>> that
>>> own them happy? I would e-mail, contacts, and basic office stuff, but
>>> what
>>> about th entertainment value of this thing
>>>
>>> is it worth buying? how mature are the apps and the OS? should I wait
>>> while? If I were stranded on a desert island, with this thing, and free
>>> wireless internet could I live out the rest of my life ok?
>>>
>>> can I get some feedback on people that love theirs and why? can I get
>>> feedback from those that hate theirs and why? thank you in advance.
>>> 500
>>> bills is no drop in the bucket for me, so I hope to get a
>>>
>>> good feel for wether I should or shouldnt
>>>
>>> what are some of the things that I can do with a pocket pc?

Anonymous
May 21, 2005 2:46:45 PM

"Mostro" <oveloz@glasfloss.com> wrote in message
news:D 6linq$ck0$1@newsdbm06.news.prodigy.com...
>I am thinking about buying the Ipaq HX4705.
>
> I work IT, I am a sys admin.
>
> what kind of value do these things have at present? are most people that
> own them happy? I would e-mail, contacts, and basic office stuff, but
> what
> about th entertainment value of this thing
>
> is it worth buying? how mature are the apps and the OS? should I wait a
> while? If I were stranded on a desert island, with this thing, and free
> wireless internet could I live out the rest of my life ok?
>
> can I get some feedback on people that love theirs and why? can I get
> feedback from those that hate theirs and why? thank you in advance. 500
> bills is no drop in the bucket for me, so I hope to get a
>
> good feel for wether I should or shouldnt
>
> what are some of the things that I can do with a pocket pc?

I'm not a sysadmin but try and choose a machine with user replaceable
batteries. I bought an Asus and the cost for them to replace a battery is
just ridiculous- apart from the time involved. They won't sell them as parts
either. I still haven't found a third party supplier.
Anonymous
May 22, 2005 12:07:45 PM

"Mostro" <oveloz@glasfloss.com> wrote:

>I am thinking about buying the Ipaq HX4705.
>
>I work IT, I am a sys admin.
>
>what kind of value do these things have at present? are most people that
>own them happy? I would e-mail, contacts, and basic office stuff, but what
>about th entertainment value of this thing
>
>is it worth buying? how mature are the apps and the OS? should I wait a
>while? If I were stranded on a desert island, with this thing, and free
>wireless internet could I live out the rest of my life ok?
>
>can I get some feedback on people that love theirs and why? can I get
>feedback from those that hate theirs and why? thank you in advance. 500
>bills is no drop in the bucket for me, so I hope to get a
>
> good feel for wether I should or shouldnt
>
>what are some of the things that I can do with a pocket pc?

I'd strongly recommend a PPC Phone device or Smartphone. Your users
will be able to get email (from POP or IMAP, SSL or regular) or sync
directly with your email server if it is Exchange 2003.

The Pocket PCs are more powerful, containing apps like Excel, Word and
has a much broader library of apps to install, but it is also larger
and some people are going to be happier with a small phone that has
their basic calendar, contacts and the ability to do email triage from
anywhere.
June 26, 2005 1:22:15 PM

the Hx4700 is a stunning bit of kit
loads of memory very fast
i use mine
to watch films convert DVDs
listen to music with my Bluetooth Headphones
TomTom Sat Nav with Bluetooth GPS
Play loads of games
Do office stuff
And with all that the Battery lasts around 4 hours with a emergency backup
battery incase the main one runs out

So for 72 hours you WONT lose your programs

--
Larry Gold
Arsenal For Life

!