Sign in with
Your question

Wireless printer question

Last response: in Wireless Networking
November 6, 2006 3:04:02 PM

I currently have 'NETGEAR WPN824 IEEE 802.11b/g RangeMax Wireless Router' for my setup and an old hp printer that uses USB to connect to my computer. I was wondering if there was a way that I could have my printer on my wireless network so anyone can print out of it without it being connected to a pc? The only solution I've found online was a printer server, but those are too expensive or have the capacity of lots of printers and lots of ethernet connections and I don't want that since I only have one printer and my router already has more port than what I need.

Thanks in advance.
November 6, 2006 3:17:45 PM

Quote:
I was wondering if there was a way that I could have my printer on my wireless network
Not without a printer server. If you are thinking about adding a NAS device, some of those come with a built in printer server function.
November 6, 2006 7:48:08 PM

Print servers are your only option, unless you want to replace your current printer with a Network Printer. And read closely on what printers are supported if you decide to go the print server route. Check on ebay you may get a used one rather cheap.
Related resources
November 7, 2006 1:47:44 PM

Oh well, I guess I'll have to reconsider because of budget problems, but thanks for the quick response and for clearing this up.
November 10, 2006 11:49:00 PM

Quote:
I currently have 'NETGEAR WPN824 IEEE 802.11b/g RangeMax Wireless Router' for my setup and an old hp printer that uses USB to connect to my computer. I was wondering if there was a way that I could have my printer on my wireless network so anyone can print out of it without it being connected to a pc? The only solution I've found online was a printer server, but those are too expensive or have the capacity of lots of printers and lots of ethernet connections and I don't want that since I only have one printer and my router already has more port than what I need.

Thanks in advance.

Unless I'm missing something you should be able to share the printer over your network. Just right click on the printer icon and click share. Then go to the other computers on the network and do a printer install and when asked, click network printer. You'll have to have the computer that the printer is connected to on and you'll have to be longed into that computer over the network to install/use.
November 11, 2006 3:31:31 AM

Quote:
...I was wondering if there was a way that I could have my printer on my wireless network so anyone can print out of it without it being connected to a pc? ....

Unless I'm missing something you should be able to share the printer over your network. Just right click on the printer icon and click share. Then go to the other computers on the network and do a printer install and when asked, click network printer. You'll have to have the computer that the printer is connected to on and you'll have to be longed into that computer over the network to install/use.Yo, g-paw, I think maybe you missed something in his question... :wink:
November 11, 2006 4:53:27 AM

Yeah, I know how to do that lol, thanks for the help anyways!
November 11, 2006 11:23:33 AM

Quote:
...I was wondering if there was a way that I could have my printer on my wireless network so anyone can print out of it without it being connected to a pc? ....

Unless I'm missing something you should be able to share the printer over your network. Just right click on the printer icon and click share. Then go to the other computers on the network and do a printer install and when asked, click network printer. You'll have to have the computer that the printer is connected to on and you'll have to be longed into that computer over the network to install/use.Yo, g-paw, I think maybe you missed something in his question... :wink:

Sorry, missed that, low literacy level :D  . I want to do essentially the same thing, I don't want the Kid on my network, which consists of my office machine, a second one, and my wife's laptop. She has a PC that I have my fax/printer attached to and she recently won an Acer Ferari. I wanted to try to set up a second network using the same Router as the other network. This way she doesn't have to be on my network or log onto my machine. Unfortuately, we have to send the laptop back for the 2nd time, Acer sucks but that's another story. I was able to get the 2nd network set up and see the shared folders but not install the printer before the Acer went south, so will have to wait till we get the laptop back. If your goal is to keep someone off your network or out of your computer and you have 2 printers connected to different machines, it might be worth a try.
November 11, 2006 1:30:49 PM

No, let me put what i was asking in another way with an example.

I have a pc and a laptop in my house, and whenever I have to print, the PC must be on. So I wanted to leave the printer on and print from my laptop throught wireless while the PC is off.
!