Way to Wipe Drive?

Hello all. Is there a way to wipe a drive so that any data or progs that
have been deleted are completely gone, and any free space is completely
cleaned? I deleted some big files, but the drive "used space" still reads
the same size it read before I deleted the files. I'm thinking that maybe I
can wipe the drive of any erroneous data.
Thanks.

Empty the "Norton Protected Recycle Bin" also!

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

"LMO" <lmo01nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello all. Is there a way to wipe a drive so that any data or progs that
> have been deleted are completely gone, and any free space is completely
> cleaned? I deleted some big files, but the drive "used space" still reads
> the same size it read before I deleted the files. I'm thinking that maybe
> I can wipe the drive of any erroneous data.
> Thanks.

Hi

Have you tried defragmenting the hard drive?
Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Disk Defragmenter. That should
close up most of the unused space on the hard drive.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"LMO" <lmo01nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello all. Is there a way to wipe a drive so that any data or progs that
> have been deleted are completely gone, and any free space is completely
> cleaned? I deleted some big files, but the drive "used space" still reads
> the same size it read before I deleted the files. I'm thinking that maybe
> I can wipe the drive of any erroneous data.
> Thanks.

Hi LMO,

The term "wipe" usually implies that the drive be completely erased. This is
commonly done with a zero-write utility, and that will overwrite
*everything* on the drive. I suspect this is not what you want. Rather you
are looking to recover misreported free space as the result of file listings
being removed from the MFT. This can usually be accomplished with a defrag
pass, or running a disk check (properties of the drive under tools).

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

LMO wrote:
> Hello all. Is there a way to wipe a drive so that any data or progs that
> have been deleted are completely gone, and any free space is completely
> cleaned? I deleted some big files, but the drive "used space" still reads
> the same size it read before I deleted the files. I'm thinking that maybe I
> can wipe the drive of any erroneous data.
> Thanks.

Simply erasing the files does not remove them from your disk -- it just
transfers them to the recycle bin. Go into the recycle bin and empty
that too and your space will appear. Or just forget about it and they
will eventually be removed from the disk as the system figures the
recycle bin is getting too large.

Bill

LMO Wrote:
> Hello all. Is there a way to wipe a drive so that any data or progs
> that
> have been deleted are completely gone, and any free space is
> completely
> cleaned? I deleted some big files, but the drive "used space" still
> reads
> the same size it read before I deleted the files. I'm thinking that
> maybe I
> can wipe the drive of any erroneous data.
> Thanks.

Go to the h. drives manufacturers website. They usually will have a
utility that will write 1's & 0's to the drive.
Treeman

--
Treeman

I don't use the NRB. I use the standard RB, and yes, I have emptied it.

> Empty the "Norton Protected Recycle Bin" also!
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
>
> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

> "LMO" <lmo01nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Hello all. Is there a way to wipe a drive so that any data or progs that
>> have been deleted are completely gone, and any free space is completely
>> cleaned? I deleted some big files, but the drive "used space" still reads
>> the same size it read before I deleted the files. I'm thinking that maybe
>> I can wipe the drive of any erroneous data.
>> Thanks.

In answer to Will Denny, you say that you defragged with Norton Speed Disk,
yet you say that you don't use the Norton Protected Recycle Bin. It IS
installed by default, unless you choose an advanced install and remove the
checkmark to NOT install it's function.

That being said, whether you use it, or not, it is likely installed on your
computer and "doing it's thing".

--

>I don't use the NRB. I use the standard RB, and yes, I have emptied it.

>> Empty the "Norton Protected Recycle Bin" also!
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard Urban
>>
>> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

>> "LMO" <lmo01nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> Hello all. Is there a way to wipe a drive so that any data or progs that
>>> have been deleted are completely gone, and any free space is completely
>>> cleaned? I deleted some big files, but the drive "used space" still
>>> reads the same size it read before I deleted the files. I'm thinking
>>> that maybe I can wipe the drive of any erroneous data.
>>> Thanks.

Drive was defragged with Norton Speed Disk, but still reports only 24GB
free, when I removed over 40GB of files.

> Hi
>
> Have you tried defragmenting the hard drive?
> Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Disk Defragmenter. That should
> close up most of the unused space on the hard drive.
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups.
>

> "LMO" <lmo01nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Hello all. Is there a way to wipe a drive so that any data or progs that
>> have been deleted are completely gone, and any free space is completely
>> cleaned? I deleted some big files, but the drive "used space" still reads
>> the same size it read before I deleted the files. I'm thinking that maybe
>> I can wipe the drive of any erroneous data.
>> Thanks.

See above. Defragged and cleaned with no luck.
Thanks, Rick. This one is a puzzle.

> Hi LMO,
>
> The term "wipe" usually implies that the drive be completely erased. This
> is commonly done with a zero-write utility, and that will overwrite
> *everything* on the drive. I suspect this is not what you want. Rather you
> are looking to recover misreported free space as the result of file
> listings being removed from the MFT. This can usually be accomplished with
> a defrag pass, or running a disk check (properties of the drive under
> tools).
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "LMO" <lmo01nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Hello all. Is there a way to wipe a drive so that any data or progs that
>> have been deleted are completely gone, and any free space is completely
>> cleaned? I deleted some big files, but the drive "used space" still reads
>> the same size it read before I deleted the files. I'm thinking that maybe
>> I can wipe the drive of any erroneous data.
>> Thanks.

Recycle Bin has been emtied. All temp files have been removed, to no avail.

"Bill Martin -- (Remove NOSPAM from address)" <wylie@earthNOSPAMlink.net>
wrote in message news:u5nS2M%23IFHA.1528@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> LMO wrote:
>> Hello all. Is there a way to wipe a drive so that any data or progs that
>> have been deleted are completely gone, and any free space is completely
>> cleaned? I deleted some big files, but the drive "used space" still reads
>> the same size it read before I deleted the files. I'm thinking that maybe
>> I can wipe the drive of any erroneous data.
>> Thanks.
>

> Simply erasing the files does not remove them from your disk -- it just
> transfers them to the recycle bin. Go into the recycle bin and empty that
> too and your space will appear. Or just forget about it and they will
> eventually be removed from the disk as the system figures the recycle bin
> is getting too large.
>
> Bill

Richard; My hat off to you! That was it. I had selected to use the standard
RB, and did not know the Norton RB was still active. I purged the files, and
now have 149GB free. Guess I can put some of those progs back on that I
removed.
Many thanks.

> In answer to Will Denny, you say that you defragged with Norton Speed
> Disk, yet you say that you don't use the Norton Protected Recycle Bin. It
> IS installed by default, unless you choose an advanced install and remove
> the checkmark to NOT install it's function.
>
> That being said, whether you use it, or not, it is likely installed on
> your computer and "doing it's thing".
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
>
> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

> "LMO" <lmo01nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>I don't use the NRB. I use the standard RB, and yes, I have emptied it.
>>
>> "Richard Urban" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Empty the "Norton Protected Recycle Bin" also!
>>>
>>> --
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Richard Urban
>>>
>>> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)
>>>
>>> If you knew as much as you think you know,
>>> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!
>>>

>>> "LMO" <lmo01nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message

I can not even begin to tell you how many people run up against this - and
everyone misses the cure!