Password file win2k

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I guess I enabled password caching, where are the pasword files kept in Win 2k?

I know how to disable password caching, I just need to know where is the
file where the passwords are stored is located.

Thanks.

Password caching is only available for Active Directory domain logons when
domain controllers are not available. The local user passwords are stored as
non reversible hashes in the sam file located in \winnt\system32\config.
What are you trying to do or fix?? --- Steve

"Michael" <Michael@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I guess I enabled password caching, where are the pasword files kept in Win
>2k?
>
> I know how to disable password caching, I just need to know where is the
> file where the passwords are stored is located.
>

> Thanks.

I am wondering whether you might mean the password caching behavior
of Internet Explorer ? Are you concerned with pre-filled login forms when
browsing ? If so, within the IE under the Tools dropmenu, within Internet
Options you will find control of this behavior by going to the Content tab
and clicking the button for AutoComplete.

--
Roger Abell
Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)