Logon automatically

What I would like to do is to logon as a certain account in Windows 2000
automatically when the machine bootsup.

How do i do this.

1.. Start regedit.exe (Start - Run - regedit)
2.. Open the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current
Version\Winlogon
3.. Double click the DefaultDomainName and fill in your domain name
4.. Double click the DefaultUserName and fill in login name
5.. From Edit menu select New String Value, and enter DefaultPassword as
name of value
6.. Double click the DefaultPassword and enter in the password
7.. From Edit menu select New String Value, and enter AutoAdminLogon as
name of value
8.. Double click the AutoAdminLogon and set the value to the number 1
9.. Close regedit
10.. Logoff and you will be automatically logged in again
You should also make sure DontDisplayLastUserName (also under the WinLogon
key) is set to 0.

The instructions above should only be done by someone who is happy with
using the registry editor. Below is an example reg file that could be used:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]

"DefaultUserName"="User"
"DefaultDomainName"="Domain"
"AutoAdminLogon"="1"
"DefaultPassword"="Password"

--
Eduard Koller[MS]

"DMc2004" <DMc2004@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> What I would like to do is to logon as a certain account in Windows 2000
> automatically when the machine bootsup.
>
> How do i do this.

Use TweakUI. It has an auto-logon function.
"DMc2004" <DMc2004@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> What I would like to do is to logon as a certain account in Windows 2000
> automatically when the machine bootsup.
>
> How do i do this.

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:17EDC689-7ACE-416C-BA70-0A3025129EFB@microsoft.com,
DMc2004 <DMc2004@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> What I would like to do is to logon as a certain account in Windows
> 2000 automatically when the machine bootsup.
>
> How do i do this.

In addition to the other advice, open the control panel, click on the user
and passwords applet, untick the box that says that the computer requires
you to enter a username and password. You will then be prompted to enter a
username and password for the account you want to use. Make sure to spell
them correctly.

Galen

Sherlock Holmes

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.registry,microsoft.public.win2000.security (More info?)

thanks very much i will try this tomorrow.

Do you have any idea of how i can get rid of the logof command when i click
Start Shutdown.

thanks.

"Eduard Koller [MSFT]" <eduardk@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> 1.. Start regedit.exe (Start - Run - regedit)
> 2.. Open the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current
> Version\Winlogon
> 3.. Double click the DefaultDomainName and fill in your domain name
> 4.. Double click the DefaultUserName and fill in login name
> 5.. From Edit menu select New String Value, and enter DefaultPassword as
> name of value
> 6.. Double click the DefaultPassword and enter in the password
> 7.. From Edit menu select New String Value, and enter AutoAdminLogon as
> name of value
> 8.. Double click the AutoAdminLogon and set the value to the number 1
> 9.. Close regedit
> 10.. Logoff and you will be automatically logged in again
> You should also make sure DontDisplayLastUserName (also under the WinLogon
> key) is set to 0.
>
> The instructions above should only be done by someone who is happy with
> using the registry editor. Below is an example reg file that could be
> used:
>
> REGEDIT4
>
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
>
> "DefaultUserName"="User"
> "DefaultDomainName"="Domain"
> "AutoAdminLogon"="1"
> "DefaultPassword"="Password"
>

> --
> Eduard Koller[MS]

> rights.
>

> "DMc2004" <DMc2004@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> What I would like to do is to logon as a certain account in Windows 2000
>> automatically when the machine bootsup.
>>
>> How do i do this.

That doesn't appear for some reason?
> In news:17EDC689-7ACE-416C-BA70-0A3025129EFB@microsoft.com,
> DMc2004 <DMc2004@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

>> What I would like to do is to logon as a certain account in Windows
>> 2000 automatically when the machine bootsup.
>>
>> How do i do this.

> In addition to the other advice, open the control panel, click on the user
> and passwords applet, untick the box that says that the computer requires
> you to enter a username and password. You will then be prompted to enter a
> username and password for the account you want to use. Make sure to spell
> them correctly.
>
> Galen
> --
>
> "And that recommendation, with the exaggerated estimate of my ability
> with which he prefaced it, was, if you will believe me, Watson, the
> very first thing which ever made me feel that a profession might be
> made out of what had up to that time been the merest hobby."
>
> Sherlock Holmes

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:O3JszDtaFHA.1044@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
DMc2005 <davidmcnaughton_1999_nospam@hotmail.com> had this to say:

> That doesn't appear for some reason?

See here:

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/w2kautol.html

If it doesn't show up you may have a problem that's underneath this at some
level and without more details I'm not sure what to say except I'd start,
first, with malware.

Malware Cleaning :
http://www.kgiii.info/windows/all/general/malwarefix.html

Yes, that's mine, but it's some general guidelines and a link to some free
software that you can use to scan with.

Galen

Sherlock Holmes