Ipaq HX4705, to buy or not to buy?

May 20, 2005 7:53:12 PM

I am thinking about buying the Ipaq HX4705.

I work IT, I am a sys admin.

what kind of value do these things have at present? are most people that
own them happy? I would e-mail, contacts, and basic office stuff, but what
about th entertainment value of this thing

is it worth buying? how mature are the apps and the OS? should I wait a
while? If I were stranded on a desert island, with this thing, and free
wireless internet could I live out the rest of my life ok?

can I get some feedback on people that love theirs and why? can I get
feedback from those that hate theirs and why? thank you in advance. 500
bills is no drop in the bucket for me, so I hope to get a

good feel for wether I should or shouldnt

what are some of the things that I can do with a pocket pc?

More about : ipaq hx4705 buy buy

Anonymous
May 20, 2005 7:53:13 PM

I would say it totally is worth it, having owned several, and now the
hx4700, but ONLY if you are going to depend on it. Otherwise it's an
expensive paperweight or calendar. I use mine for: notes, calendar, word
docs, ms pocket money, pocket bible, remoting into work via VNC, emails,
music, movies on the go, audio books, NES games, viewing and showing
pictures (great VGA resolution), recording notes, using pocket streets for
maps, and more. Hope that helps a little. This is a good article:
http://www.pocketpcmag.com/_archives/feb05/leavingmylap...

"Mostro" <oveloz@glasfloss.com> wrote in message
news:D 6lins$ck0$2@newsdbm06.news.prodigy.com...
>I am thinking about buying the Ipaq HX4705.
>
> I work IT, I am a sys admin.
>
> what kind of value do these things have at present? are most people that
> own them happy? I would e-mail, contacts, and basic office stuff, but
> what
> about th entertainment value of this thing
>
> is it worth buying? how mature are the apps and the OS? should I wait a
> while? If I were stranded on a desert island, with this thing, and free
> wireless internet could I live out the rest of my life ok?
>
> can I get some feedback on people that love theirs and why? can I get
> feedback from those that hate theirs and why? thank you in advance. 500
> bills is no drop in the bucket for me, so I hope to get a
>
> good feel for wether I should or shouldnt
>
> what are some of the things that I can do with a pocket pc?

Anonymous
May 20, 2005 8:35:07 PM

tell me about the movies, how can you watch full length movies on it?

"Darin" <darinr@endpcnoise.com> wrote in message
>I would say it totally is worth it, having owned several, and now the
>hx4700, but ONLY if you are going to depend on it. Otherwise it's an
>expensive paperweight or calendar. I use mine for: notes, calendar, word
>docs, ms pocket money, pocket bible, remoting into work via VNC, emails,
>music, movies on the go, audio books, NES games, viewing and showing
>pictures (great VGA resolution), recording notes, using pocket streets for
>maps, and more. Hope that helps a little. This is a good article:
>http://www.pocketpcmag.com/_archives/feb05/leavingmylap...
>
> "Mostro" <oveloz@glasfloss.com> wrote in message
> news:D 6lins$ck0$2@newsdbm06.news.prodigy.com...
>>I am thinking about buying the Ipaq HX4705.
>>
>> I work IT, I am a sys admin.
>>
>> what kind of value do these things have at present? are most people that
>> own them happy? I would e-mail, contacts, and basic office stuff, but
>> what
>> about th entertainment value of this thing
>>
>> is it worth buying? how mature are the apps and the OS? should I wait a
>> while? If I were stranded on a desert island, with this thing, and free
>> wireless internet could I live out the rest of my life ok?
>>
>> can I get some feedback on people that love theirs and why? can I get
>> feedback from those that hate theirs and why? thank you in advance. 500
>> bills is no drop in the bucket for me, so I hope to get a
>>
>> good feel for wether I should or shouldnt
>>
>> what are some of the things that I can do with a pocket pc?

Related resources
May 20, 2005 10:27:52 PM

Although I don't have a 4705, I do have the 5555 and as a sysadmin, I
find it very helpful. Of course in my contacts, I have all the important
people at my fingertips. I also use the task to make me a "to Do" list,
TOmTOm to get where I'm going, Metro in case I take public
transportation, ... what just about everyone needs.

I can use terminal services to remote control my machine (if need be, if
there are other way's I use it). I also use it as a dumb terminal for
network devices to for telnet. I can use it to upload/download files to
shares. It is really invaluable to see if ports are "live" and easier
than lugging something else. Just today I did an IP packet capture
topass along to our security group for analysis. I also use it for
inventory.

These are only the things that just pop up into my head as I'm writing
this. If I really thought about it I could probably come up with more.
My iPAQ is very handy as a sysadmin and I wouldn't want to part with it
at all.

Jim

Mostro wrote:
> I am thinking about buying the Ipaq HX4705.
>
> I work IT, I am a sys admin.
>
> what kind of value do these things have at present? are most people that
> own them happy? I would e-mail, contacts, and basic office stuff, but what
> about th entertainment value of this thing
>
> is it worth buying? how mature are the apps and the OS? should I wait a
> while? If I were stranded on a desert island, with this thing, and free
> wireless internet could I live out the rest of my life ok?
>
> can I get some feedback on people that love theirs and why? can I get
> feedback from those that hate theirs and why? thank you in advance. 500
> bills is no drop in the bucket for me, so I hope to get a
>
> good feel for wether I should or shouldnt
>
> what are some of the things that I can do with a pocket pc?

Anonymous
May 21, 2005 3:21:53 AM

I've loaded a 1.5 hour movie into 160Meg of a memory card. It plays
quite well (320x240 at 15fps say). In general you'd use compression of
course, and commonly the PDAs come with windows media player (9 or 10)
but you can also get 3rd party players like Betaplayer which do MPEG4
and other compression formats.

All you need really to do this is a tool to rip say a DVD or MPEG to a
more compressed, resized format for the PDA - such as DVD2PPC and so
on. Ripping can take several hours (the codecs have a lot of CPU
intensive work to do), so it's sometimes nice to do overnight.

The screens are good enough quality to watch several hours (I've done
this on flights), although obviously if you have widescreen content
you're going to lose screen space to black bars top & bottom. Nice to
have if you've seen all the in-flight movies for example.

HTH
Cheers - Neil

On Fri, 20 May 2005 16:35:07 -0500, "Mostro" <oveloz@glasfloss.com>
wrote:

>tell me about the movies, how can you watch full length movies on it?
>

>"Darin" <darinr@endpcnoise.com> wrote in message
>>I would say it totally is worth it, having owned several, and now the
>>hx4700, but ONLY if you are going to depend on it. Otherwise it's an
>>expensive paperweight or calendar. I use mine for: notes, calendar, word
>>docs, ms pocket money, pocket bible, remoting into work via VNC, emails,
>>music, movies on the go, audio books, NES games, viewing and showing
>>pictures (great VGA resolution), recording notes, using pocket streets for
>>maps, and more. Hope that helps a little. This is a good article:
>>http://www.pocketpcmag.com/_archives/feb05/leavingmylap...
>>
>> "Mostro" <oveloz@glasfloss.com> wrote in message
>> news:D 6lins$ck0$2@newsdbm06.news.prodigy.com...
>>>I am thinking about buying the Ipaq HX4705.
>>>
>>> I work IT, I am a sys admin.
>>>
>>> what kind of value do these things have at present? are most people that
>>> own them happy? I would e-mail, contacts, and basic office stuff, but
>>> what
>>> about th entertainment value of this thing
>>>
>>> is it worth buying? how mature are the apps and the OS? should I wait a
>>> while? If I were stranded on a desert island, with this thing, and free
>>> wireless internet could I live out the rest of my life ok?
>>>
>>> can I get some feedback on people that love theirs and why? can I get
>>> feedback from those that hate theirs and why? thank you in advance. 500
>>> bills is no drop in the bucket for me, so I hope to get a
>>>
>>> good feel for wether I should or shouldnt
>>>
>>> what are some of the things that I can do with a pocket pc?

Anonymous
May 21, 2005 8:53:07 AM

Mostro wrote:
> what kind of value do these things have at present? are most people
> that own them happy? I would e-mail, contacts, and basic office
> stuff, but what about th entertainment value of this thing
> feedback from those that hate theirs and why?

I had iPAQ h5550 which I wasn't satisfied with due to instability and memory
problems. Currently my work PDA is the hx4705 and I've been very satisfied
with it.

The 4,0 inch VGA screen is just amazing, probably the best one I've seen in
any PDA so far. I also love the powerful CPU of this device, because I can
open even large PDF, PowerPoint and Word documents very fast.

I use hx4705 on daily basis for my calendar, email (Gmail POP3 and corporate
access via VPN) and contacts, a few extra applications and games too. I use
Terminal Services client in work and VNC at home. I access Internet via
3G/GPRS (with my Nokia Bluetooth phone) or 801.11b WLAN depending on what's
available.

This hx4705 is my first PDA I can truly rely on, because it has a very good
backup software, enough flash storage for calendar / contacts and other
important stuff. So if I don't load the battery for some time (usually
during weekends or vacation) and it gets software reseted, I can restore all
my files and settings. I also like the file security that stops strangers
from accessing my files. I also encrypt work related files on my SD cards.
hx4705 can do all this without too much perfomance loss.

There are a few small issues I don't like in my hx4705:

- the plastic screen cover that comes in the retail box feels bad and cheap.
I use a my own leather case instead.
- Battery drains out very fast using Bluetooth or WLAN, and the device gets
very HOT from the battery.
- I still haven't learned how to use that mouse alike control pad, so it's
completely useless to me and just taking space.
- Not all applications still support WM 2003 SE and VGA resolution. (This is
a general Windows Mobile issue, not HP's fault.)

--
Tero Lehto
http://lehto.net/tero/

Even though I praised the hx4705, I haven't personally paid anything for it,
as it's my work PDA.

If I had to pay my gadgets myself, I'd probably go for the cheaper Dell Axim
X50v, some cheaper HP PDA or maybe I wouldn't get a PDA at all.

--
Tero Lehto
http://lehto.net/tero/

Hey what encryption software do you use? You said "I also encrypt work
related files on my SD cards.

"Tero Lehto" <tero.lehto@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:o Awje.1105$WF4.547@reader1.news.jippii.net...
> Mostro wrote:
>> what kind of value do these things have at present? are most people
>> that own them happy? I would e-mail, contacts, and basic office
>> stuff, but what about th entertainment value of this thing
>> feedback from those that hate theirs and why?
>
> I had iPAQ h5550 which I wasn't satisfied with due to instability and
> memory problems. Currently my work PDA is the hx4705 and I've been very
> satisfied with it.
>
> The 4,0 inch VGA screen is just amazing, probably the best one I've seen
> in any PDA so far. I also love the powerful CPU of this device, because I
> can open even large PDF, PowerPoint and Word documents very fast.
>
> I use hx4705 on daily basis for my calendar, email (Gmail POP3 and
> corporate access via VPN) and contacts, a few extra applications and games
> too. I use Terminal Services client in work and VNC at home. I access
> Internet via 3G/GPRS (with my Nokia Bluetooth phone) or 801.11b WLAN
> depending on what's available.
>
> This hx4705 is my first PDA I can truly rely on, because it has a very
> good backup software, enough flash storage for calendar / contacts and
> other important stuff. So if I don't load the battery for some time
> (usually during weekends or vacation) and it gets software reseted, I can
> restore all my files and settings. I also like the file security that
> stops strangers from accessing my files. I also encrypt work related files
> on my SD cards. hx4705 can do all this without too much perfomance loss.
>
> There are a few small issues I don't like in my hx4705:
>
> - the plastic screen cover that comes in the retail box feels bad and
> cheap. I use a my own leather case instead.
> - Battery drains out very fast using Bluetooth or WLAN, and the device
> gets very HOT from the battery.
> - I still haven't learned how to use that mouse alike control pad, so it's
> completely useless to me and just taking space.
> - Not all applications still support WM 2003 SE and VGA resolution. (This
> is a general Windows Mobile issue, not HP's fault.)
>
> --
> Tero Lehto
> http://lehto.net/tero/

Anonymous
May 22, 2005 12:23:06 PM

Darin wrote:
> Hey what encryption software do you use? You said "I also encrypt
> work related files on my SD cards.
>> hx4705 can do all this without too much perfomance loss."

I'm using Pointsec for Pocket PC which my local HP distributor had made a
deal with.

http://www.pointsec.com/products/products_pocketpc.asp

I've only encrypted and decrypted files on my iPAQ, so I don't know if this
supports Windows PCs either.

--
Tero Leht
http://lehto.net/tero/

> Darin wrote:
>> Hey what encryption software do you use? You said "I also encrypt
>> work related files on my SD cards.
>>> hx4705 can do all this without too much perfomance loss."
>
> I'm using Pointsec for Pocket PC which my local HP distributor had made a
> deal with.
>
> http://www.pointsec.com/products/products_pocketpc.asp
>
> I've only encrypted and decrypted files on my iPAQ, so I don't know if
> this supports Windows PCs either.
>
> --
> Tero Leht
> http://lehto.net/tero/

Before you decide to purchase any Pocketpc, take a look at this review

http://www.pdagold.com/articles/detail.asp?a=211
!