Closed

sd card format/volume problem

May 21, 2005 2:16:36 AM

I recently bought a Sandisk 2GB SD card. It worked fine in my i-mate JAM but
I then decided to try it in my digial camera. Don't ask me why but I decided
to format the card in my digital camera.

The result is that I now have a single volume of 979MB instead of the
previous 2GB. I've looked at the card under Windows XP disk management I can
definitely see that it has formatted the card with a single volume and left
an unformatted volume.

Question: how do I remove the volume so I can reformat my card
in my PPC to its true 2GB size? My existing SD card formatter in my PPC
resolutely believes this is now a 1GB card instead of a 2GB card.

I've been to the Sandisk site but it doesn't seem to contain an
answer.

Can anyone here help?????

LouisB
------
"I'm a half-wit. I sold the other half on e-Bay"
May 21, 2005 3:01:07 AM

LouisB wrote:
> Question: how do I remove the volume so I can reformat my card
> in my PPC to its true 2GB size? My existing SD card formatter in my PPC
> resolutely believes this is now a 1GB card instead of a 2GB card.

I'd buy a card reader for your desktop PC and format the card there.
That's a useful investment anyway, since shoveling 2 GB of data to the
card via ActiveSync is a pain in the ass and much faster when using a USB2
reader/writer.

Incidentally, how much did you pay for the card?
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 3:17:28 AM

René wrote:
> LouisB wrote:
>> Question: how do I remove the volume so I can reformat my card
>> in my PPC to its true 2GB size? My existing SD card formatter in my
>> PPC resolutely believes this is now a 1GB card instead of a 2GB card.
>
> I'd buy a card reader for your desktop PC and format the card there.

I'd guess he has one already, looking at the card under Windows XP Disk
Management as he said he did would be some trick without a card reader ;-).

LouisB - in Windows XP Disk Management, right-click the existing partition,
and click delete, that will leave the whole card as unallocated space. Then
right-click on the unallocated space, and click new partition. Follow the
wizard to create a new FAT16 partition that fills the whole card. After
that's done, format the card and all should be well.

Tony
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
May 21, 2005 11:28:00 AM

> LouisB - in Windows XP Disk Management, right-click the existing
> partition, and click delete, that will leave the whole card as unallocated
> space. Then right-click on the unallocated space, and click new partition.
> Follow the wizard to create a new FAT16 partition that fills the whole
> card. After that's done, format the card and all should be well.

Tony,

thanks for the response (and the assumption that, yes, I am using a card
reader) but here's the problem: delete partition is greyed out as a menu
option. Before you ask, no, the disk is not write protected.

I'm racking my brains as to what I can do next. Fdisk? The problem is, as
you probably know Fdisk is not provided/supported under XP. There is a
utility called diskpart but that does not appear to recognise the SD card as
a volume.

Any other ideas out there?

LouisB
May 21, 2005 7:11:06 PM

have you tried bios option to allow emulate legacy usb devices
and then boot with dos boot disk and then fdisk the card ?

Juhani Suhonen

"LouisB" <louisREMOVEberkREMOVE2002@hotmail.REMOVEcom> wrote in message
>> LouisB - in Windows XP Disk Management, right-click the existing
>> partition, and click delete, that will leave the whole card as
>> unallocated space. Then right-click on the unallocated space, and click
>> new partition. Follow the wizard to create a new FAT16 partition that
>> fills the whole card. After that's done, format the card and all should
>> be well.
>>

> Tony,
>
> thanks for the response (and the assumption that, yes, I am using a card
> reader) but here's the problem: delete partition is greyed out as a menu
> option. Before you ask, no, the disk is not write protected.
>
> I'm racking my brains as to what I can do next. Fdisk? The problem is, as
> you probably know Fdisk is not provided/supported under XP. There is a
> utility called diskpart but that does not appear to recognise the SD card
> as a volume.
>
> Any other ideas out there?
>
> LouisB

Anonymous
May 22, 2005 12:08:48 AM

LouisB wrote:
[...]
> I'm racking my brains as to what I can do next. Fdisk? The problem
> is, as you probably know Fdisk is not provided/supported under XP.
> There is a utility called diskpart but that does not appear to
> recognise the SD card as a volume.

Hmm, it seems Microsoft doesn't think removable drives should be
partitionable, so Windows NT tools don't let you do anything along those
lines, so much for my assumptions. As Jussi said, you could use fdisk from a
boot disk, that's probably the best/safest way.

You can also do it from within Windows XP with a program called diskman
(http://www.diskman.co.uk), but you want to be careful with that program, it
gives you unlimited power to screw up your drives. If you're brave enough to
try diskman, download and unzip the 4.2 alpha, open a command prompt, and cd
to the directory where you unzipped diskman to. Then type the following:

diskman4 console (starts the diskman console)
drive mount hostl x: (replace x with the drive letter of your card)
drive part 1 1 (make your card partitionable)
drive remount 1 (remount the card to activate the changes)
volume list (check the number of volumes)
volume delete 1 (assuming there is only one volume)
exit (close the diskman console)

Then eject the card, reinsert it, and Windows should be able to format it to
it's full capacity.

Tony
May 22, 2005 12:03:28 PM

Tony

Wow! That worked perfectly. I did exactly as you described except for one
change. For some bizzare reason (possibly the whole cause of the problem)
the logical drive would not appear in diskman. So instead of the 'hostl'
operator I used 'hostp' and mounted the physical volume. From there
everthing else worked just as you laid out below.

Windows would not format the SD card but the inbuilt PPC formatter kicked in
when I inserted the card and formatted it perfectly.

My sincere and genuine thanks for helping me out with this. I also posted a
request for help at the PPC Thoughts site and I'll post this solution there
for future reference by anyone else who has this problem

Thanks again

Louis

> diskman4 console (starts the diskman console)
> drive mount hostl x: (replace x with the drive letter of your card)
> drive part 1 1 (make your card partitionable)
> drive remount 1 (remount the card to activate the changes)
> volume list (check the number of volumes)
> volume delete 1 (assuming there is only one volume)
> exit (close the diskman console)
>
> Then eject the card, reinsert it, and Windows should be able to format it
> to it's full capacity.
>
> Tony

February 5, 2011 6:07:36 PM

You need to first move/change the Partition on the SD card from 1GB to 2GB, then reformat the SD card to it's true 2GB size (1.83MB). In my search for an answer, I found this freeware for Windows, MiniTool Partition Wizard 5.2, and it did the trick very quickly and easily: http://www.partitionwizard.com/
Caution is highly advised when you repartition the SD Card -- because any pictures or information on the card will be lost -- and you also need to be triple-sure that you are repartitioning and reformatting the proper drive! You would not want to damage your C: drive or any other drive by mistake!

Michael
February 5, 2011 10:34:22 PM

This topic has been closed by Buwish
!