Problem with xcacls.vbs

Hi all,

xcacls.vbs doesn´t show me if the inheritance-flag is set on a folder or
not. The output is always the same ("This Folder, Subfolders and Files"), no
matter if the flag is set or not.
Any Ideas how to get the right settings dumped?

Regards, Oliver
4 answers Last reply
More about problem xcacls

    I don't know how to get xcacls.vbs to work the way you want but you might
    want to try fileacl also as shown in the links below. --- Steve

    http://www.gbordier.com/gbtools/fileacl.htm
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=723f64ea-34f0-4e6d-9a72-004d35de4e64&displaylang=en

    "Oliver Jung" <news@jobbasar.de> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > xcacls.vbs doesn´t show me if the inheritance-flag is set on a folder or
    > not. The output is always the same ("This Folder, Subfolders and Files"),
    > no
    > matter if the flag is set or not.
    > Any Ideas how to get the right settings dumped?
    >
    > Regards, Oliver

    Thanks a lot, fileacl is fantastic, it does exactly what i was looking for!
    You saved me a lot of time...
    Oliver

    > I don't know how to get xcacls.vbs to work the way you want but you might
    > want to try fileacl also as shown in the links below. --- Steve
    >
    > http://www.gbordier.com/gbtools/fileacl.htm

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=723f64ea-34f0-4e6d-9a72-004d35de4e64&displaylang=en

    > "Oliver Jung" <news@jobbasar.de> wrote in message
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > xcacls.vbs doesn´t show me if the inheritance-flag is set on a folder or
    > > not. The output is always the same ("This Folder, Subfolders and
    Files"),
    > > no
    > > matter if the flag is set or not.
    > > Any Ideas how to get the right settings dumped?
    > >
    > > Regards, Oliver

    While some other ways, like use of WMI scripting directly,
    the fileacl third-party control/script Steve mentioned, etc.
    will show the raw flags, it is still the case that xcacls.vbs
    will show inheritance correctly, not just always showing
    "This folder, subfolders and files" as you indicate.

    If you are really seeing that behavior I would suggest that
    you get a fresh download of xcacls.vbs as something has
    perhaps modified yours.

    --
    Roger Abell
    Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)

    "Oliver Jung" <news@jobbasar.de> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > xcacls.vbs doesn´t show me if the inheritance-flag is set on a folder or
    > not. The output is always the same ("This Folder, Subfolders and Files"),
    no
    > matter if the flag is set or not.
    > Any Ideas how to get the right settings dumped?
    >
    > Regards, Oliver

    I used the actual version of xcacls.vbs (5.2) and it behaves just like i
    mentioned before.
    Anyway, the Tool Fileacl was exactly what i was looking for. Dumping
    permissions, modifying and then re-applying them.
    It works really great.

    Oliver

    > While some other ways, like use of WMI scripting directly,
    > the fileacl third-party control/script Steve mentioned, etc.
    > will show the raw flags, it is still the case that xcacls.vbs
    > will show inheritance correctly, not just always showing
    > "This folder, subfolders and files" as you indicate.
    >
    > If you are really seeing that behavior I would suggest that
    > you get a fresh download of xcacls.vbs as something has
    > perhaps modified yours.
    >
    > --
    > Roger Abell
    > Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)
    >
    > "Oliver Jung" <news@jobbasar.de> wrote in message
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > xcacls.vbs doesn´t show me if the inheritance-flag is set on a folder or
    > > not. The output is always the same ("This Folder, Subfolders and
    Files"),
    > no
    > > matter if the flag is set or not.
    > > Any Ideas how to get the right settings dumped?
    > >
    > > Regards, Oliver

VBS Security Microsoft Windows