Security problems from XP to 2000

I removed a 250 gig IDE drive from a 2000 machine and installed it in an XP
machine via IDE to USB cable. The OS reported that the data was encrypted or
that I did not have permission to open the files. I added the 250 gig drive
back to the Windows 2000 machine and I am receiving the same error even after
making administrator the owner of all directories and sub-directories. Is
there a way to bring back the data?

If the data was encrypted with EFS on the Windows 2000 machine, the EFS
certificate and key would still be in the user's profile on that machine.
You can get access to that certificate/key by logging on as the same user
(with the same password as before); the file permissions may also need
adjusting. If you know the password, you can also recover the
certificate/key from the profile by using a tool such as reccerts.exe
(available from MS Product Support) or AEFSDR
(http://www.crackpassword.com/products/prs/mswin/efs/).

Additional EFS information is at
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prde_ffs_phvy.asp (see Ch 17 Encrypting File System).

Thanks.