Non-Administrator's access to local CD-ROM?

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
a b 8 Security
June 15, 2005 12:26:07 AM

Hi,
It seems that on my Win2000, non-administrators cannot access the CD-ROM
drive via certain programs. These include iTunes and FreeRIP (both latest
versions), although for some reason, the CD-Player supplied with the
operating system does allow access to non-administrator users (a music CD
certainly starting playing for one user). I have even tried to make users a
member of PowerUsers - but with no luck.
I had a look at the local security policies, but couldn't find anything that
would unrestrict the cd-rom drive. Windows 2000 is fully up to date with all
service packs and security updates.
I really only want to allow users to rip CDs.
Is this a Win2000 problem, an iTunes problem, or just by design?
Thanks in advance for any help that can be provided.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 15, 2005 12:26:08 AM

It is not by OS design. Have you checked at the vendors' sites for
updates to their software? I am unfamiliar (as a user) with the apps
you have mentioned by name, so that was a generic recommendation
rather than from knowing there are updates for those apps. Rather
I am basing it on experience with Nero which for the longest time
showed the same behavior, with an app internal check, until they
modified their code.
Now, with that said, it is possible that the app is making older
depricated calls, in which case trying to run the app with the
application compatibility set to Win9x might help.

--
Roger Abell
Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)

"ADJ" <andrewjensAThotmailDOTcom> wrote in message
> Hi,
> It seems that on my Win2000, non-administrators cannot access the CD-ROM
> drive via certain programs. These include iTunes and FreeRIP (both latest
> versions), although for some reason, the CD-Player supplied with the
> operating system does allow access to non-administrator users (a music CD
> certainly starting playing for one user). I have even tried to make users
> member of PowerUsers - but with no luck.
> I had a look at the local security policies, but couldn't find anything
that
> would unrestrict the cd-rom drive. Windows 2000 is fully up to date with
all
> service packs and security updates.
> I really only want to allow users to rip CDs.
> Is this a Win2000 problem, an iTunes problem, or just by design?
> Thanks in advance for any help that can be provided.

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 15, 2005 9:37:16 PM

Thanks for the response.
Yes - the apps are the latest downloads and patches. Your reference to
depreciated calls rings true - it would explain things (although a little
surprising from Apple's iTunes).
How do I go about running an app with Win9x compatibility?
Once again, thanks in advance

> It is not by OS design. Have you checked at the vendors' sites for
> updates to their software? I am unfamiliar (as a user) with the apps
> you have mentioned by name, so that was a generic recommendation
> rather than from knowing there are updates for those apps. Rather
> I am basing it on experience with Nero which for the longest time
> showed the same behavior, with an app internal check, until they
> modified their code.
> Now, with that said, it is possible that the app is making older
> depricated calls, in which case trying to run the app with the
> application compatibility set to Win9x might help.
>
> --
> Roger Abell
> Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)

a b 8 Security
June 15, 2005 9:37:17 PM

Oops, I now very much notice you stated W2k.

I was referring to the AppCompat tab in XP
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/m...

With the app running as admin, in W2k but not as non-admin, I am
wondering how much tweaking of permissions the filesystem and
Com components have had to them. It would probably be worth
a test with the regmon and filemon tools from sysinternals.com
(log in as a plain user, RunAs the tools with an admin account and
preconfigure them to trap filtered by the plain user account, start
the captures and launch the app as the plain user and stop the capture
once the app has failed).

The most recent version of the App Compat Toolset is available at
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows/ap...

--

> Thanks for the response.
> Yes - the apps are the latest downloads and patches. Your reference to
> depreciated calls rings true - it would explain things (although a little
> surprising from Apple's iTunes).
> How do I go about running an app with Win9x compatibility?
> Once again, thanks in advance
>

> "Roger Abell" <mvpNOSpam@asu.edu> wrote in message
> > It is not by OS design. Have you checked at the vendors' sites for
> > updates to their software? I am unfamiliar (as a user) with the apps
> > you have mentioned by name, so that was a generic recommendation
> > rather than from knowing there are updates for those apps. Rather
> > I am basing it on experience with Nero which for the longest time
> > showed the same behavior, with an app internal check, until they
> > modified their code.
> > Now, with that said, it is possible that the app is making older
> > depricated calls, in which case trying to run the app with the
> > application compatibility set to Win9x might help.
> >
> > --
> > Roger Abell
> > Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 28, 2005 10:07:49 PM

Hello All,
I have a similar issue with xp stations. Users arenot able to use cdrw
software as well as the built in burning capabilities of xp such as drag and
drop. It seems that using roxio/nero has some stability issues with
non-admins on my XP clients meaning they can burn cds but are not able to
add data back into the session thus new "save" folders have to be created
every time.
I have not configured anything in GPOs to prevent users from using the
cdrom.
WIn2k/2k3 AD with XP sp2 environment.
TIA,
Altria