Forged Access Permissions

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
June 14, 2005 12:53:05 PM

I have Windows 2000 Domain Controllers and Windows xp SP1 Clients.
when some users acessing Shared Folders from windows 2000 file server they
are getting access permissions of other user. Actually say john is looged on
the pc in the file server sessions it is showing joe is connected.
Please can anybody give me the hint?
Thanx
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 6:24:29 AM

Well, it is possible to define a drive mapping using
alternate credentials. May we assume you have ruled
this out?

If John logs off and does a fresh log in are there any connections
to the sharing server from that machine? If not, if John then browses
to the share does transparent access without login prompt result?
If so, does the server then show Joe as the account connecting from
the machine where John is logged in?

--
Roger Abell
Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)

"IT_OPS" <ITOPS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have Windows 2000 Domain Controllers and Windows xp SP1 Clients.
> when some users acessing Shared Folders from windows 2000 file server
they
> are getting access permissions of other user. Actually say john is looged
on
> the pc in the file server sessions it is showing joe is connected.
> Please can anybody give me the hint?
> Thanx
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 1:37:14 PM

When john logged on from windows xp pc in the file server sessions it is
showing joe coneected to the server from that xp computer and joe is enjoying
johns access permission. if joe comes and logon to other pc everything is
fine this is happening only in some computers.

"Roger Abell" wrote:

> Well, it is possible to define a drive mapping using
> alternate credentials. May we assume you have ruled
> this out?
>
> If John logs off and does a fresh log in are there any connections
> to the sharing server from that machine? If not, if John then browses
> to the share does transparent access without login prompt result?
> If so, does the server then show Joe as the account connecting from
> the machine where John is logged in?
>
> --
> Roger Abell
> Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)
>
> "IT_OPS" <ITOPS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have Windows 2000 Domain Controllers and Windows xp SP1 Clients.
> > when some users acessing Shared Folders from windows 2000 file server
> they
> > are getting access permissions of other user. Actually say john is looged
> on
> > the pc in the file server sessions it is showing joe is connected.
> > Please can anybody give me the hint?
> > Thanx

June 16, 2005 10:01:07 PM

> When john logged on from windows xp pc in the file server sessions it is
> showing joe coneected to the server from that xp computer and joe is
enjoying
> johns access permission.

"and joe is enjoying john's" ?? or did you mean john is
enjoying joe's access permissions - which would be
more consistent.
If you did mean to say what you did, then I am totally confused . . .
from where is joe accessing this ??

XP has the ability to define what account is used when connecting
to specific resources. This is done in the User Accounts control
panel applet for the logged in account. Is there anything there stating
to use Joe's account when connecting to that box ??

> if joe comes and logon to other pc everything is
> fine this is happening only in some computers.
>

> "Roger Abell" wrote:
>
> > Well, it is possible to define a drive mapping using
> > alternate credentials. May we assume you have ruled
> > this out?
> >
> > If John logs off and does a fresh log in are there any connections
> > to the sharing server from that machine? If not, if John then browses
> > to the share does transparent access without login prompt result?
> > If so, does the server then show Joe as the account connecting from
> > the machine where John is logged in?
> >
> > --
> > Roger Abell
> > Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)
> >
> > "IT_OPS" <ITOPS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I have Windows 2000 Domain Controllers and Windows xp SP1 Clients.
> > > when some users acessing Shared Folders from windows 2000 file server
> > they
> > > are getting access permissions of other user. Actually say john is
looged
> > on
> > > the pc in the file server sessions it is showing joe is connected.
> > > Please can anybody give me the hint?
> > > Thanx

Anonymous
June 19, 2005 5:33:10 AM

=?Utf-8?B?SVRfT1BT?= <ITOPS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

> I have Windows 2000 Domain Controllers and Windows xp SP1 Clients.
> when some users acessing Shared Folders from windows 2000 file
> server they
> are getting access permissions of other user. Actually say john is
> looged on the pc in the file server sessions it is showing joe is
> connected. Please can anybody give me the hint?
> Thanx

Does each workstation have a unique set of SIDs (i.e. did you use
Sysprep to cleanse each PC before joining it to your domain)?

Adam
!