Unable to download security patches

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
a b 8 Security
June 16, 2005 11:01:14 PM

I am sending this to several newsgroups, because I am not sure which is the
most appropriate one. I apologize for the multiple postings.

I am trying to download security updates for Windows 2000 Professional, and
I am unable to get the downloads to work.

Because of multiple past security problems with Internet Explorer and
Outlook Express, I have had to equip my system with the following security
applications:
ZoneAlarm
Spybot Search and Destroy
Secretmaker
AdAware

Do I have to disable all these to get the download to work? How can I
download the updates while still protecting my system as much as possible?

Thank you.
Colleen
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 19, 2005 1:34:47 AM

Well, you did not say download how, from the ms.com/downloads site
or by enabling Microsoft Update (i.e. Windows Update)
It is probably an issue with ZoneAlarm being too tight.
Try lightening up for a while as the actual downloads can come from
a different IP that seen for the Microsoft Update site.
--
Roger Abell
Microsoft MVP (Windows Server: Security)

!