Convert share permissions to NTFS permissions?

Tags:
  • Permissions
  • NTFS
  • Servers
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
June 16, 2005 4:12:06 PM

Hi all,

we wanted to reorganize the permissions of folders and shares on our file
server (NT 4.0 DC), but there are some problems about this work.
With use of AGLP most permissions were set correctly. At several shares
(>100) the permissions were set by granting rights directly to the users.
Sometimes no NTFS permissions were assigned to folders, so the users access
the folders with share permissions only.
At several folders the inheritance were revoked to make the chaos perfect.

Now, we would like to
a) copy the permissions from the shares to NTFS permissions. After that the
share permissions should be set to "Full access" for "Everyone".
b) inventory the folders structure to determine at which objects the
inheritance were revoked. After that we would like to reorganize the
structure to activate the inheritance of rights.

All folders (incl. shares, groups and permissions) has been transferred to a
Windows 2000 Server (running as member server of a NT 4.0 domain). On that
system we would like to perform the described operations.

Which strategy can be applied and what kind of tools will be helpful?

Many thanks for your comments!

Cheers
Nils

More about : convert share permissions ntfs permissions

Anonymous
June 19, 2005 5:29:04 AM

"=?Utf-8?B?Tmlscw==?=" <Nils@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

> Which strategy can be applied and what kind of tools will be
> helpful?

AccessEnum can help identify what NTFS permissions already exist:

http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/AccessEnum.html

Adam
!