Total noobie builder needs a MB recommendation please!

djironic

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2007
Alright, I'm a total noob when it comes to building computers, and while I think I've got a handle on most of the components, buying the right motherboard is just the most intimidating part for me. I'm really freaking out on this one. So I'm hoping you guys can help.

The rest of the rig will look something like this:

C2D processor - 6300 or 6400
550 Watt Antec PS
2 7200 rpm HDs in Raid 1
1 Raptor HD (possible)
2X1GB RAM (667 or 800)
8800 GTS 340 video card
DVD Burner
Aluminum Case (for cooling and mobility)
Windows Vista (most likely, though might stick with XP)

I'll mostly be using the computer for games and web development, but I do want to begin to dabble in the wild and wacky world of OCing, so having some low-key and user-friendly OC capabilities would be nice. I don't know much about cooling and such, so I'll probably rely on stock cooling at first (and keep the OCing small) until I get a feel for it.

The budget is around $200 (though cheaper is better, especially if I wind up breaking it!) and Firewire compatability is a must, too (for digital video piped in from my camcorder).

Mostly, I want a motherboard that is rock solid, as I really don't know what I'm doing and don't have a lot of time (or skill) to trial-and-error a whole lot of problems. Future-proofing would be nice, too, as I'm sure I will want to continually upgrade the system.

Any suggestions on a good MB for this rig?

jajonez77

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
I just built a system and went with the ASUS P5B Deluxe. It seemed to be stable and a good overclocker from all the research that I did (and it was a lot). It was $194 at newegg. The parts just came today so I will be building when I get home :D so I dont have any real world experience to give. But, If you look up and down these boards I didn't see anyone that has said it was terrible.

akhilles

Splendid
^^^ seconded. P5B DX hands down for overclockability & stability.

If you overclock the FSB to 333Mhz, then the ram will run at 333 x 2 = 666/667/675Mhz. If you o/c to 400Mhz, ram will run at 400 x 2 = 800Mhz. Now you now which ram to get for which overclock. 800Mhz+ is for moderate to high overclock whereas 667Mhz & slower is for light to moderate overclock.

BTW, if you aim for 400mhz fsb, you need very good cooling. A mid to full atx tower with 120mm intake & exhaust would be minimal. In addition to a good cooling case, a good aftermarket cpu hsf will help a lot. See this guide for more:

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/Core2Duo-Overclocking-Guide-v1-ftopict197995.html

haywood

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2006
For $45 less you can get the ASUS P5B-E. No SLI/Crossfire but a great board nonetheless. Using one myself with an E6400 @ 2.8.

Also could go with the Gigabyte DS3 but it does not have firewire support.

ReverendGadgetBoy

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
I just built a system and went with the ASUS P5B Deluxe. It seemed to be stable and a good overclocker from all the research that I did (and it was a lot). It was $194 at newegg. The parts just came today so I will be building when I get home :D so I dont have any real world experience to give. But, If you look up and down these boards I didn't see anyone that has said it was terrible.

I second this opinion, although the Gigabyte DS3 is a good choice as well.

djironic

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2007
Thanks all!

Your replies are pretty much in line with what I was already thinking, so that's reassuring. Interestingly, I was tempted to look at the 650i solution, but that might be wandering too far out on the cutting edge. The P5B is probably a nice, safe solution for a noob.

And I was also looking at the Gigabyte DS3, but, alas, no Firewire. :-(