SCECLI 1202 Events with an error code 0x5

I am getting a 1202 error with an 0x5: Access denied. error code. When I look
in the "%SYSTEMROOT%\security\templates\policies" directory, it's empty. In
addtion I don't have the gpotool program.

My server hangs after getting this error.

Thanks,
Norm
11 answers Last reply
More about scecli 1202 events error code

    "norm34" wrote:
    > I am getting a 1202 error with an 0x5: Access denied. error
    > code. When I look
    > in the "%SYSTEMROOT%securitytemplatespolicies" directory,
    > it's empty. In
    > addtion I don't have the gpotool program.
    >
    > My server hangs after getting this error.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Norm

    Please provide more specific info about the event id

    Is this on a member server or a DC?

    Cheers,

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Security-SCECLI-1202-Events-error-code-0x5-ftopict548262.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1736756

    The error has not ocurred in a few days. Should I post the whole event
    message when it happenes?

    The server is a standalone that is on the WEB. It is running IIS, SQL Server
    and Coldfusion. What other information can I provide?

    Thanks,

    "norm34" wrote:
    > The error has not ocurred in a few days. Should I post the
    > whole event
    > message when it happenes?
    >
    > The server is a standalone that is on the WEB. It is running
    > IIS, SQL Server
    > and Coldfusion. What other information can I provide?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >

    > "Jorge_de_Almeida_Pinto" wrote:
    >
    > > "norm34" wrote:
    >  > > I am getting a 1202 error with an 0x5: Access
    > denied. error
    >  > > code. When I look
    >  > > in the "%SYSTEMROOT%securitytemplatespolicies"
    > directory,
    >  > > it's empty. In
    >  > > addtion I don't have the gpotool program.
    >  > >
    >  > > My server hangs after getting this error.
    >  > >
    >  > > Thanks,
    >  > > Norm
    > >
    > > Please provide more specific info about the event id
    > >
    > > Is this on a member server or a DC?
    > >
    > > Cheers,
    > >
    > > --
    > > Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's request
    > standards
    > > Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Security-SCECLI-1202-Events-error-code-0x5-ftopict548262.html
    > > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1736756

    Read the following to see if it provides a solution when it happens
    again
    "Troubleshooting SCECLI 1202 Events"
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=324383

    Cheers,

    Jorge,

    Thanks for the sugesstion about reading "Troubleshooting SCECLI 1202 Events"
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=324383. As stated at in my first message., I
    did follow this until step #$ which says to do the following: find /i
    "service" %SYSTEMROOT%\security\templates\policies\gpt*.*". The problem is
    that the policy directory was EMPTY. So I'm stuck and don't know what I
    should do next.

    Thanks,
    Norm

    "norm34" wrote:
> [...]
    >   > > >
    >   > > > Please provide more specific info about the
    > event id
    >   > > >
    >   > > > Is this on a member server or a DC?
    >   > > >
    >   > > > Cheers,
    >   > > >
    >   > > > --
    >   > > > Posted using the
    > http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's request
    >   > > > Articles individually checked for
    > conformance to usenet
    >  > > standards
    >   > > > Topic URL:
    > http://www.windowsforumz.com/Security-SCECLI-1202-Events-error-code-0x5-ftopict548262.html
    >   > > > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg.
    > req'd). Report abuse:
    >   > > >
    > >
    > > Read the following to see if it provides a solution when it

    Hi,

    If I’m correct that’s the location for the GPOs configured in the
    domain

    Try the following to see if the POLICIES folder returns with its
    contens:

    you did not tell me if it was W2K or W2K3, so choose the correct one
    below

    FOR W2K:
    SECEDIT /REFRESHPOLICY MACHINE_POLICY /ENFORCE
    SECEDIT /REFRESHPOLICY USER_POLICY /ENFORCE

    FOR W2K3:
    GPUPDATE /FORCE

    Cheers,

    Jorge,

    It's on win2000 machine.

    Here is the message I get when I reun these
    D:\>SECEDIT /REFRESHPOLICY MACHINE_POLICY /ENFORCE
    Group policy propagation from the domain has been initiated for this
    computer. It may take a few minutes for the propagation to complete and the
    new policy to take effect. Please check Application Log for errors, if any.

    D:\>SECEDIT /REFRESHPOLICY USER_POLICY /ENFORCE
    Group policy propagation from the domain has been initiated for this
    computer. It may take a few minutes for the propagation to complete and the
    new policy to take effect. Please check Application Log for errors, if any.

    In the appliction log it said "Security policy in the Group policy objects
    are applied successfully."

    Anything I should do next?

    Thanks for your help,
    Norm

    "Jorge_de_Almeida_Pinto" wrote:

    > "norm34" wrote:
    > > Jorge,
    > >
    > > Thanks for the sugesstion about reading "Troubleshooting
    > > SCECLI 1202 Events"
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=324383. As stated at in my
    > > first message., I
    > > did follow this until step #$ which says to do the following:
    > > find /i
    > > "service" %SYSTEMROOT%securitytemplatespoliciesgpt*.*".
    > > The problem is
    > > that the policy directory was EMPTY. So I'm stuck and don't
    > > know what I
    > > should do next.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Norm

    > > post the

    > > is running
    > > provide?

    > > Access
    > > "%SYSTEMROOT%securitytemplatespolicies"
    > > program.

    > > error.

    > > event id

    > > http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's request
    > > conformance to usenet
    > > http://www.windowsforumz.com/Security-SCECLI-1202-Events-error-code-0x5-ftopict548262.html
    > > req'd). Report abuse:
    > > http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1736756
    > > > > >

    > > > Read the following to see if it provides a solution when it
    > > happens
    > > > again
    > > > "Troubleshooting SCECLI 1202 Events"
    > > > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=324383
    > > >
    > > > Cheers,
    > > >

    > Hi,
    >
    > If I’m correct that’s the location for the GPOs configured in the
    > domain
    >
    > Try the following to see if the POLICIES folder returns with its
    > contens:
    >
    > you did not tell me if it was W2K or W2K3, so choose the correct one
    > below
    >
    > FOR W2K:
    > SECEDIT /REFRESHPOLICY MACHINE_POLICY /ENFORCE
    > SECEDIT /REFRESHPOLICY USER_POLICY /ENFORCE
    >
    > FOR W2K3:
    > GPUPDATE /FORCE
    >
    > Cheers,

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.security (More info?)

    Jorge,

    My server locked up again. I think it was the same problem. I have saved the
    application and system logs. Would you take look at them? If so, what format
    evt, txt or csv?

    Thanks,
    Norm

    "Jorge_de_Almeida_Pinto" wrote:

    > "norm34" wrote:
    > > Jorge,
    > >
    > > Thanks for the sugesstion about reading "Troubleshooting
    > > SCECLI 1202 Events"
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=324383. As stated at in my
    > > first message., I
    > > did follow this until step #$ which says to do the following:
    > > find /i
    > > "service" %SYSTEMROOT%securitytemplatespoliciesgpt*.*".
    > > The problem is
    > > that the policy directory was EMPTY. So I'm stuck and don't
    > > know what I
    > > should do next.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Norm

    > > post the

    > > is running
    > > provide?

    > > Access
    > > "%SYSTEMROOT%securitytemplatespolicies"
    > > program.

    > > error.

    > > event id

    > > http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's request
    > > conformance to usenet
    > > http://www.windowsforumz.com/Security-SCECLI-1202-Events-error-code-0x5-ftopict548262.html
    > > req'd). Report abuse:
    > > http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1736756
    > > > > >

    > > > Read the following to see if it provides a solution when it
    > > happens
    > > > again
    > > > "Troubleshooting SCECLI 1202 Events"
    > > > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=324383
    > > >
    > > > Cheers,
    > > >

    > Hi,
    >
    > If I’m correct that’s the location for the GPOs configured in the
    > domain
    >
    > Try the following to see if the POLICIES folder returns with its
    > contens:
    >
    > you did not tell me if it was W2K or W2K3, so choose the correct one
    > below
    >
    > FOR W2K:
    > SECEDIT /REFRESHPOLICY MACHINE_POLICY /ENFORCE
    > SECEDIT /REFRESHPOLICY USER_POLICY /ENFORCE
    >
    > FOR W2K3:
    > GPUPDATE /FORCE
    >
    > Cheers,

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.security (More info?)

    "norm34" wrote:
> [...]
    > solution when it
    >  > > happens
    >   > > > again
    >   > > > "Troubleshooting SCECLI 1202 Events"
    >   > > > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=324383
    >   > > >
    >   > > > Cheers,
    >   > > >
    > >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > If I’m correct that’s the location for the GPOs
    > configured in the
    > > domain
    > >
    > > Try the following to see if the POLICIES folder returns with
    > its
    > > contens:
    > >
    > > you did not tell me if it was W2K or W2K3, so choose the
    > correct one
    > > below
    > >
    > > FOR W2K:
    > > SECEDIT /REFRESHPOLICY MACHINE_POLICY /ENFORCE
    > > SECEDIT /REFRESHPOLICY USER_POLICY /ENFORCE

    Is the policies folder still empty and/or do you still get the error?

    If you still receive errors please post them exactly as shown

    Cheers,
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.security (More info?)

    Policy directory is still empty.

    This time there was not a SCECLI error, but this error which I think caused
    the machine to hang:

    The security package Negotiate generated an exception. The package is now
    disabled. The exception information is the data.

    0000: 05 00 00 c0 00 00 00 00 ...À....
    0008: 00 00 00 00 63 c6 fc 77 ....cÆüw
    0010: 02 00 00 00 01 00 00 00 ........
    0018: 90 90 90 90 3f 00 01 00 Â?Â?Â?Â??...
    0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
    0028: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
    0030: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
    0038: 7f 02 ff ff 00 00 ff ff .ÿÿ..ÿÿ
    0040: ff ff ff ff 00 00 00 00 ÿÿÿÿ....
    0048: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

    "Jorge_de_Almeida_Pinto" wrote:

    > "norm34" wrote:
    > > Jorge,
    > >
    > > It's on win2000 machine.
    > >
    > > Here is the message I get when I reun these
    > > D:>SECEDIT /REFRESHPOLICY MACHINE_POLICY /ENFORCE
    > > Group policy propagation from the domain has been initiated
    > > for this
    > > computer. It may take a few minutes for the propagation to
    > > complete and the
    > > new policy to take effect. Please check Application Log for
    > > errors, if any.
    > >
    > > D:>SECEDIT /REFRESHPOLICY USER_POLICY /ENFORCE
    > > Group policy propagation from the domain has been initiated
    > > for this
    > > computer. It may take a few minutes for the propagation to
    > > complete and the
    > > new policy to take effect. Please check Application Log for
    > > errors, if any.
    > >
    > > In the appliction log it said "Security policy in the Group
    > > policy objects
    > > are applied successfully."
    > >
    > > Anything I should do next?
    > >
    > > Thanks for your help,
    > > Norm

    > > "Troubleshooting
    > > at in my
    > > following:
    > > %SYSTEMROOT%securitytemplatespoliciesgpt*.*".
    > > and don't

    > > days. Should I

    > > the WEB. It
    > > can I

    > > an 0x5:

    > > this

    > > about the

    > > request
    > > > >
    > > http://www.windowsforumz.com/Security-SCECLI-1202-Events-error-code-0x5-ftopict548262.html
    > > (reg.

    > > solution when it

    > > > Hi,
    > > >
    > > > If I’m correct that’s the location for the GPOs
    > > configured in the
    > > > domain
    > > >
    > > > Try the following to see if the POLICIES folder returns with
    > > its
    > > > contens:
    > > >
    > > > you did not tell me if it was W2K or W2K3, so choose the
    > > correct one
    > > > below
    > > >
    > > > FOR W2K:
    > > > SECEDIT /REFRESHPOLICY MACHINE_POLICY /ENFORCE
    > > > SECEDIT /REFRESHPOLICY USER_POLICY /ENFORCE
    > > >
    > > > FOR W2K3:
    > > > GPUPDATE /FORCE
    > > >
    > > > Cheers,
    > > >

    > Is the policies folder still empty and/or do you still get the error?
    >
    > If you still receive errors please post them exactly as shown
    >
    > Cheers,

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.security (More info?)

    "norm34" wrote:
> [...]
    >   > > >
    >   > > > Please provide more specific info about the
    > event id
    >   > > >
    >   > > > Is this on a member server or a DC?
    >   > > >
    >   > > > Cheers,
    >   > > >
    >   > > > --
    >   > > > Posted using the
    > http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's request
    >   > > > Articles individually checked for
    > conformance to usenet
    >  > > standards
    >   > > > Topic URL:
    > http://www.windowsforumz.com/Security-SCECLI-1202-Events-error-code-0x5-ftopict548262.html
    >   > > > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg.
    > req'd). Report abuse:
    >   > > >
    > >
    > > Read the following to see if it provides a solution when it

    OK... it’s time to turn on "Diagnostic Logging" for GPO
    processing...

    Beware that when you switch on verbose logging modes with these
    values, your Event Viewer logs will fill up quickly. You’ll need to
    review the settings for the Event Viewer logs to ensure that
    everything you need is being logged and that you don’t lose or
    overwrite any part of the logs you may need to keep for reference,
    security, and/or legal reasons.

    Before turning on "Diagnostic Logging" make a copy of all event logs
    for that machine

    He is the configuration you need to make (you might need to reboot the
    server):

    RunDiagnosticLoggingGroupPolicy will turn GPO event logging to
    verbose.

    Hive: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    Key: Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Diagnostics
    Name: RunDiagnosticLoggingGroupPolicy
    Type: REG_DWORD
    Value: 1
    Note: After you make that change and restart the system, you will see
    a lot more information reported, especially during errors. In many
    cases, this will be enough to get the information you need.

    Cheers,
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.security (More info?)

    "norm34" wrote:
> [...]
    >   > > > > > > > > Norm
    >   > > > > > > >
    >   > > > > > > > Please provide more specific
    > info
    >  > > about the
    >   > > > > event id
    >   > > > > > > >
    >   > > > > > > > Is this on a member server or
    > a DC?
    >   > > > > > > >
    >   > > > > > > > Cheers,
    >   > > > > > > >
    >   > > > > > > > --
    >   > > > > > > > Posted using the
    >   > > > > http://www.windowsforumz.com interface,
    > at author's
    >  > > request
    >   > > > > > > > Articles individually checked
    > for
    >   > > > > conformance to usenet
    >   > > > > > > standards
    >   > > > > > > > Topic URL:
    >   > > > >
    >  > >
    > http://www.windowsforumz.com/Security-SCECLI-1202-Events-error-code-0x5-ftopict548262.html
    >   > > > > > > > Visit Topic URL to contact
    > author
    >  > > (reg.
    >   > > > > req'd). Report abuse:
    >   > > > >
    >   > > > > > > >
    >   > > > > >
    >   > > > > > Read the following to see if it
    > provides a
    >  > > solution when it
    >   > > > > happens
    >   > > > > > again
    >   > > > > > "Troubleshooting SCECLI 1202 Events"
    >   > > > > >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=324383
    >   > > > > >
    >   > > > > > Cheers,
    >   > > > > >
    >   > > >
    >   > > > Hi,
    >   > > >
    >   > > > If I’m correct that’s the
    > location for the GPOs
    >  > > configured in the
    >   > > > domain
    >   > > >
    >   > > > Try the following to see if the POLICIES
    > folder returns with
    >  > > its
    >   > > > contens:
    >   > > >
    >   > > > you did not tell me if it was W2K or W2K3,
    > so choose the
    >  > > correct one
    >   > > > below
    >   > > >
    >   > > > FOR W2K:
    >   > > > SECEDIT /REFRESHPOLICY MACHINE_POLICY
    > /ENFORCE
    >   > > > SECEDIT /REFRESHPOLICY USER_POLICY /ENFORCE
    >   > > >
    >   > > > FOR W2K3:
    >   > > > GPUPDATE /FORCE
    >   > > >
    >   > > > Cheers,
    >   > > >
    > >
    > > Is the policies folder still empty and/or do you still get
    > the error?
    > >
    > > If you still receive errors please post them exactly as

    what is the event id?

    search for tips using the event id and source at
    http://www.eventid.net

    have at look at these..
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=328948
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=841037