SCECLI 1202 Events with an error code 0x5

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
June 20, 2005 4:35:01 PM

I am getting a 1202 error with an 0x5: Access denied. error code. When I look
in the "%SYSTEMROOT%\security\templates\policies" directory, it's empty. In
addtion I don't have the gpotool program.

My server hangs after getting this error.

Thanks,
Norm
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 22, 2005 5:36:41 PM

"norm34" wrote:
> I am getting a 1202 error with an 0x5: Access denied. error
> code. When I look
> in the "%SYSTEMROOT%securitytemplatespolicies" directory,
> it's empty. In
> addtion I don't have the gpotool program.
>
> My server hangs after getting this error.
>
> Thanks,
> Norm

Please provide more specific info about the event id

Is this on a member server or a DC?

Cheers,

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Security-SCECLI-1202-Event...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1736756
June 22, 2005 5:36:42 PM

The error has not ocurred in a few days. Should I post the whole event
message when it happenes?

The server is a standalone that is on the WEB. It is running IIS, SQL Server
and Coldfusion. What other information can I provide?

Thanks,

"Jorge_de_Almeida_Pinto" wrote:

> "norm34" wrote:
> > I am getting a 1202 error with an 0x5: Access denied. error
> > code. When I look
> > in the "%SYSTEMROOT%securitytemplatespolicies" directory,
> > it's empty. In
> > addtion I don't have the gpotool program.
> >
> > My server hangs after getting this error.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Norm
>
> Please provide more specific info about the event id
>
> Is this on a member server or a DC?
>
> Cheers,

> Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Security-SCECLI-1202-Event...
> Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1736756

a b 8 Security
June 23, 2005 6:36:15 PM

"norm34" wrote:
> The error has not ocurred in a few days. Should I post the
> whole event
> message when it happenes?
>
> The server is a standalone that is on the WEB. It is running
> IIS, SQL Server
> and Coldfusion. What other information can I provide?
>
> Thanks,
>

> "Jorge_de_Almeida_Pinto" wrote:
>
> > "norm34" wrote:
>  > > I am getting a 1202 error with an 0x5: Access
> denied. error
>  > > code. When I look
>  > > in the "%SYSTEMROOT%securitytemplatespolicies"
> directory,
>  > > it's empty. In
>  > > addtion I don't have the gpotool program.
>  > >
>  > > My server hangs after getting this error.
>  > >
>  > > Thanks,
>  > > Norm
> >
> > Please provide more specific info about the event id
> >
> > Is this on a member server or a DC?
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > --
> > Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's request
> standards
> > Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Security-SCECLI-1202-Event...
> > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1736756

Read the following to see if it provides a solution when it happens
again
"Troubleshooting SCECLI 1202 Events"
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=324383

Cheers,
June 23, 2005 6:36:16 PM

Jorge,

Thanks for the sugesstion about reading "Troubleshooting SCECLI 1202 Events"
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=324383. As stated at in my first message., I
did follow this until step #$ which says to do the following: find /i
"service" %SYSTEMROOT%\security\templates\policies\gpt*.*". The problem is
that the policy directory was EMPTY. So I'm stuck and don't know what I
should do next.

Thanks,
Norm

"Jorge_de_Almeida_Pinto" wrote:

> "norm34" wrote:
> > The error has not ocurred in a few days. Should I post the
> > whole event
> > message when it happenes?
> >
> > The server is a standalone that is on the WEB. It is running
> > IIS, SQL Server
> > and Coldfusion. What other information can I provide?
> >
> > Thanks,

> > denied. error
> > directory,

> > > Please provide more specific info about the event id
> > >
> > > Is this on a member server or a DC?
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > >
> > > --
> > > Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's request
> > > Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet
> > standards
> > > Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Security-SCECLI-1202-Event...
> > > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1736756
> > >

> Read the following to see if it provides a solution when it happens
> again
> "Troubleshooting SCECLI 1202 Events"
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=324383
>
> Cheers,

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 24, 2005 3:36:18 AM

"norm34" wrote:
> [...]
>   > > > > Norm
>   > > >
>   > > > Please provide more specific info about the
> event id
>   > > >
>   > > > Is this on a member server or a DC?
>   > > >
>   > > > Cheers,
>   > > >
>   > > > --
>   > > > Posted using the
> http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's request
>   > > > Articles individually checked for
> conformance to usenet
>  > > standards
>   > > > Topic URL:
> http://www.windowsforumz.com/Security-SCECLI-1202-Event...
>   > > > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg.
> req'd). Report abuse:
>   > > >
> >
> > Read the following to see if it provides a solution when it

Hi,

If I’m correct that’s the location for the GPOs configured in the
domain

Try the following to see if the POLICIES folder returns with its
contens:

you did not tell me if it was W2K or W2K3, so choose the correct one
below

FOR W2K:
SECEDIT /REFRESHPOLICY MACHINE_POLICY /ENFORCE
SECEDIT /REFRESHPOLICY USER_POLICY /ENFORCE

FOR W2K3:
GPUPDATE /FORCE

Cheers,
June 24, 2005 6:26:01 PM

Jorge,

It's on win2000 machine.

Here is the message I get when I reun these
D:\>SECEDIT /REFRESHPOLICY MACHINE_POLICY /ENFORCE
Group policy propagation from the domain has been initiated for this
computer. It may take a few minutes for the propagation to complete and the
new policy to take effect. Please check Application Log for errors, if any.

D:\>SECEDIT /REFRESHPOLICY USER_POLICY /ENFORCE
Group policy propagation from the domain has been initiated for this
computer. It may take a few minutes for the propagation to complete and the
new policy to take effect. Please check Application Log for errors, if any.

In the appliction log it said "Security policy in the Group policy objects
are applied successfully."

Anything I should do next?

Thanks for your help,
Norm

"Jorge_de_Almeida_Pinto" wrote:

> "norm34" wrote:
> > Jorge,
> >
> > Thanks for the sugesstion about reading "Troubleshooting
> > SCECLI 1202 Events"
> > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=324383. As stated at in my
> > first message., I
> > did follow this until step #$ which says to do the following:
> > find /i
> > "service" %SYSTEMROOT%securitytemplatespoliciesgpt*.*".
> > The problem is
> > that the policy directory was EMPTY. So I'm stuck and don't
> > know what I
> > should do next.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Norm

> > post the

> > is running
> > provide?

> > Access
> > "%SYSTEMROOT%securitytemplatespolicies"
> > program.

> > error.

> > event id

> > http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's request
> > conformance to usenet
> > http://www.windowsforumz.com/Security-SCECLI-1202-Event...
> > req'd). Report abuse:
> > http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1736756
> > > > >

> > > Read the following to see if it provides a solution when it
> > happens
> > > again
> > > "Troubleshooting SCECLI 1202 Events"
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=324383
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > >

> Hi,
>
> If I’m correct that’s the location for the GPOs configured in the
> domain
>
> Try the following to see if the POLICIES folder returns with its
> contens:
>
> you did not tell me if it was W2K or W2K3, so choose the correct one
> below
>
> FOR W2K:
> SECEDIT /REFRESHPOLICY MACHINE_POLICY /ENFORCE
> SECEDIT /REFRESHPOLICY USER_POLICY /ENFORCE
>
> FOR W2K3:
> GPUPDATE /FORCE
>
> Cheers,

June 25, 2005 4:25:01 PM

Jorge,

My server locked up again. I think it was the same problem. I have saved the
application and system logs. Would you take look at them? If so, what format
evt, txt or csv?

Thanks,
Norm

"Jorge_de_Almeida_Pinto" wrote:

> "norm34" wrote:
> > Jorge,
> >
> > Thanks for the sugesstion about reading "Troubleshooting
> > SCECLI 1202 Events"
> > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=324383. As stated at in my
> > first message., I
> > did follow this until step #$ which says to do the following:
> > find /i
> > "service" %SYSTEMROOT%securitytemplatespoliciesgpt*.*".
> > The problem is
> > that the policy directory was EMPTY. So I'm stuck and don't
> > know what I
> > should do next.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Norm

> > post the

> > is running
> > provide?

> > Access
> > "%SYSTEMROOT%securitytemplatespolicies"
> > program.

> > error.

> > event id

> > http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's request
> > conformance to usenet
> > http://www.windowsforumz.com/Security-SCECLI-1202-Event...
> > req'd). Report abuse:
> > http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1736756
> > > > >

> > > Read the following to see if it provides a solution when it
> > happens
> > > again
> > > "Troubleshooting SCECLI 1202 Events"
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=324383
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > >

> Hi,
>
> If I’m correct that’s the location for the GPOs configured in the
> domain
>
> Try the following to see if the POLICIES folder returns with its
> contens:
>
> you did not tell me if it was W2K or W2K3, so choose the correct one
> below
>
> FOR W2K:
> SECEDIT /REFRESHPOLICY MACHINE_POLICY /ENFORCE
> SECEDIT /REFRESHPOLICY USER_POLICY /ENFORCE
>
> FOR W2K3:
> GPUPDATE /FORCE
>
> Cheers,

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 25, 2005 7:35:50 PM

"norm34" wrote:
> [...]
> solution when it
>  > > happens
>   > > > again
>   > > > "Troubleshooting SCECLI 1202 Events"
>   > > > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=324383
>   > > >
>   > > > Cheers,
>   > > >
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > If I’m correct that’s the location for the GPOs
> configured in the
> > domain
> >
> > Try the following to see if the POLICIES folder returns with
> its
> > contens:
> >
> > you did not tell me if it was W2K or W2K3, so choose the
> correct one
> > below
> >
> > FOR W2K:
> > SECEDIT /REFRESHPOLICY MACHINE_POLICY /ENFORCE
> > SECEDIT /REFRESHPOLICY USER_POLICY /ENFORCE

Is the policies folder still empty and/or do you still get the error?

If you still receive errors please post them exactly as shown

Cheers,
June 26, 2005 1:27:02 PM

Policy directory is still empty.

This time there was not a SCECLI error, but this error which I think caused
the machine to hang:

The security package Negotiate generated an exception. The package is now
disabled. The exception information is the data.

0000: 05 00 00 c0 00 00 00 00 ...À....
0008: 00 00 00 00 63 c6 fc 77 ....cÆüw
0010: 02 00 00 00 01 00 00 00 ........
0018: 90 90 90 90 3f 00 01 00 Â?Â?Â?Â??...
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0028: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0030: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0038: 7f 02 ff ff 00 00 ff ff .ÿÿ..ÿÿ
0040: ff ff ff ff 00 00 00 00 ÿÿÿÿ....
0048: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

"Jorge_de_Almeida_Pinto" wrote:

> "norm34" wrote:
> > Jorge,
> >
> > It's on win2000 machine.
> >
> > Here is the message I get when I reun these
> > D:>SECEDIT /REFRESHPOLICY MACHINE_POLICY /ENFORCE
> > Group policy propagation from the domain has been initiated
> > for this
> > computer. It may take a few minutes for the propagation to
> > complete and the
> > new policy to take effect. Please check Application Log for
> > errors, if any.
> >
> > D:>SECEDIT /REFRESHPOLICY USER_POLICY /ENFORCE
> > Group policy propagation from the domain has been initiated
> > for this
> > computer. It may take a few minutes for the propagation to
> > complete and the
> > new policy to take effect. Please check Application Log for
> > errors, if any.
> >
> > In the appliction log it said "Security policy in the Group
> > policy objects
> > are applied successfully."
> >
> > Anything I should do next?
> >
> > Thanks for your help,
> > Norm

> > "Troubleshooting
> > at in my
> > following:
> > %SYSTEMROOT%securitytemplatespoliciesgpt*.*".
> > and don't

> > days. Should I

> > the WEB. It
> > can I

> > an 0x5:

> > this

> > about the

> > request
> > > >
> > http://www.windowsforumz.com/Security-SCECLI-1202-Event...
> > (reg.

> > solution when it

> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > If I’m correct that’s the location for the GPOs
> > configured in the
> > > domain
> > >
> > > Try the following to see if the POLICIES folder returns with
> > its
> > > contens:
> > >
> > > you did not tell me if it was W2K or W2K3, so choose the
> > correct one
> > > below
> > >
> > > FOR W2K:
> > > SECEDIT /REFRESHPOLICY MACHINE_POLICY /ENFORCE
> > > SECEDIT /REFRESHPOLICY USER_POLICY /ENFORCE
> > >
> > > FOR W2K3:
> > > GPUPDATE /FORCE
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > >

> Is the policies folder still empty and/or do you still get the error?
>
> If you still receive errors please post them exactly as shown
>
> Cheers,

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 27, 2005 1:36:12 AM

"norm34" wrote:
> [...]
>   > > > > Norm
>   > > >
>   > > > Please provide more specific info about the
> event id
>   > > >
>   > > > Is this on a member server or a DC?
>   > > >
>   > > > Cheers,
>   > > >
>   > > > --
>   > > > Posted using the
> http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's request
>   > > > Articles individually checked for
> conformance to usenet
>  > > standards
>   > > > Topic URL:
> http://www.windowsforumz.com/Security-SCECLI-1202-Event...
>   > > > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg.
> req'd). Report abuse:
>   > > >
> >
> > Read the following to see if it provides a solution when it

OK... it’s time to turn on "Diagnostic Logging" for GPO
processing...

Beware that when you switch on verbose logging modes with these
values, your Event Viewer logs will fill up quickly. You’ll need to
review the settings for the Event Viewer logs to ensure that
everything you need is being logged and that you don’t lose or
overwrite any part of the logs you may need to keep for reference,
security, and/or legal reasons.

Before turning on "Diagnostic Logging" make a copy of all event logs
for that machine

He is the configuration you need to make (you might need to reboot the
server):

RunDiagnosticLoggingGroupPolicy will turn GPO event logging to
verbose.

Hive: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
Key: Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Diagnostics
Name: RunDiagnosticLoggingGroupPolicy
Type: REG_DWORD
Value: 1
Note: After you make that change and restart the system, you will see
a lot more information reported, especially during errors. In many
cases, this will be enough to get the information you need.

Cheers,
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 27, 2005 1:36:38 AM

"norm34" wrote:
> [...]
>   > > > > > > > > Thanks,
>   > > > > > > > > Norm
>   > > > > > > >
>   > > > > > > > Please provide more specific
> info
>  > > about the
>   > > > > event id
>   > > > > > > >
>   > > > > > > > Is this on a member server or
> a DC?
>   > > > > > > >
>   > > > > > > > Cheers,
>   > > > > > > >
>   > > > > > > > --
>   > > > > > > > Posted using the
>   > > > > http://www.windowsforumz.com interface,
> at author's
>  > > request
>   > > > > > > > Articles individually checked
> for
>   > > > > conformance to usenet
>   > > > > > > standards
>   > > > > > > > Topic URL:
>   > > > >
>  > >
> http://www.windowsforumz.com/Security-SCECLI-1202-Event...
>   > > > > > > > Visit Topic URL to contact
> author
>  > > (reg.
>   > > > > req'd). Report abuse:
>   > > > >
>   > > > > > > >
>   > > > > >
>   > > > > > Read the following to see if it
> provides a
>  > > solution when it
>   > > > > happens
>   > > > > > again
>   > > > > > "Troubleshooting SCECLI 1202 Events"
>   > > > > >
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=324383
>   > > > > >
>   > > > > > Cheers,
>   > > > > >
>   > > >
>   > > > Hi,
>   > > >
>   > > > If I’m correct that’s the
> location for the GPOs
>  > > configured in the
>   > > > domain
>   > > >
>   > > > Try the following to see if the POLICIES
> folder returns with
>  > > its
>   > > > contens:
>   > > >
>   > > > you did not tell me if it was W2K or W2K3,
> so choose the
>  > > correct one
>   > > > below
>   > > >
>   > > > FOR W2K:
>   > > > SECEDIT /REFRESHPOLICY MACHINE_POLICY
> /ENFORCE
>   > > > SECEDIT /REFRESHPOLICY USER_POLICY /ENFORCE
>   > > >
>   > > > FOR W2K3:
>   > > > GPUPDATE /FORCE
>   > > >
>   > > > Cheers,
>   > > >
> >
> > Is the policies folder still empty and/or do you still get
> the error?
> >
> > If you still receive errors please post them exactly as

what is the event id?

search for tips using the event id and source at
http://www.eventid.net

have at look at these..
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=328948
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=841037