Just some thoughts on the anime's treatment of Team Rocket..

Last response: in Video Games
June 17, 2004 5:15:16 AM

I realize that this sort of thing has most likely been discussed before ad
nauseum, but I've got to talk a little about this, if not for my sake, then for
the amusement of others...

I'm not entirely sure, but I get the feeling that the anime's treatment of Team
Rocket (as an organization, and not just Meowth and company) is at least
partially inspired by the James Bond movies/novels. A few major bits to support
this claim...

Until Ash arrives at the Viridian Gym, we never get a clear view of Giovanni's
face (usually he's in shadow). Also, Giovanni is always seen with a Persian.
These two instantly bringing to mind Ernst Stavro Blofeld (the head of
SPECTRE), who is always identified by his persian cat and (until the fifth Bond
movie "You Only Live Twice") having his face hidden from the viewer.

Second is the base used by Team Rocket in the Whirl Arc's Lugia episodes; it's
almost exactly identical to the Atlantis base used by Karl Stromberg in "The
Spy Who Loved Me."

Beyond that, however, I've got nada. Anyone come up with any other possible