People pinging on my computer after firewall installed, pr..

Hello all,

I was previously infected with a trojan virus and "wiped " it out. I
then installed firewall thatc ame free with AOL. I noticed it still
allowed a user to ping my computer which makes me think a back door is
still open. I even did a virus scan and safe mode and found nothing.
Funny thin is that when I re-install windows using upgrade option, the
virus scan keeps missing coponents, which happens from viruses. I also
did ad-aware in safe mode too. Then lately I get the "physical dump of
hard drive" when i reset a few times. This is not good. I am afraid
to back-up new files in case they are infected. Am I missing something
obvious? Any help is apreciated!

BTW How can I report these scumbags who are trying to get on my
computer f I got their IP found thru the firewall?
2 answers Last reply
More about people pinging computer firewall installed

    All antivirus software is signature-based. If you deleted the offending
    file, the scans won't pick up on some garbage left over. That being said,
    scanning in safe-mode is always preferred as long as you have the most
    recent virus definitions.

    Normally when you cannot end a process, its because a service is using them.
    Lots of times, viruses set themselves up as both processes and services.
    You'll need to shutdown the suspect service before you can delete the
    process, but it's best to let the virusscan do this in safe mode rather than
    do it manually.

    From what I have read, AOL allows pings. They even ping you themselves at
    times. That doesn't mean that there is a back door, only that the firewall
    isn't blocking ICMP packets. This may make you vulnerable to certain
    attacks like "ping of death" or various DoS attacks, but if someone is
    trying to bring down your computer, you shouldn't be relying on AOL firewall
    to stop them anyway. It's more for protection from viruses/malware from
    casual browsing.

    You can't really report anyone for pinging you. There are tons of people
    out there who ping huge ranges of addresses to find out who responds. Yes,
    it could be for illegal purposes, but the pinging itself (or IP scanning) is
    not particular illegal. Even Port-Scanning can't be stopped by reporting
    it. There's really nothing they can do until they try to gain unauthorized
    access to your system. If you run software that allows pings, then you are
    saying 'I allow pings', and people will ping you.

    about the Blue Screen Of Death(BSOD), this is usually a corrupt or replaced
    windows system file or a driver conflict. I recommend running "sfc
    /scannow" from a command prompt to restore the system files. Make sure you
    have the installation CD handy. Then you'll want to try going to
    windowsupdate.microsoft.com and downloading all the latest security patches
    and Service Packs. Updated drivers too. If all that fails, check your
    event log in "Control Panel, Administrative Tools" to see what errors
    occured in either the system log or the application log at about the time of
    the crash. If you STILL have no luck, try disabling devices 1 by 1 and see
    if that helps. If you can narrow it down to a particular device or a
    particular application, you're more than half-way to solving it.

    --
    Hope I've helped some!
    Adam Drayer

    "Mike" <mikepl333@aol.com> wrote in message
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I was previously infected with a trojan virus and "wiped " it out. I
    > then installed firewall thatc ame free with AOL. I noticed it still
    > allowed a user to ping my computer which makes me think a back door is
    > still open. I even did a virus scan and safe mode and found nothing.
    > Funny thin is that when I re-install windows using upgrade option, the
    > virus scan keeps missing coponents, which happens from viruses. I also
    > did ad-aware in safe mode too. Then lately I get the "physical dump of
    > hard drive" when i reset a few times. This is not good. I am afraid
    > to back-up new files in case they are infected. Am I missing something
    > obvious? Any help is apreciated!
    >
    > BTW How can I report these scumbags who are trying to get on my
    > computer f I got their IP found thru the firewall?

    In addition, there is much more to catching someone than knowing
    the last-hop IP that was used, which often is just some innocent,
    unknowing person's machine that had been taken over for relay.

    --
    Roger Abell
    Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)

    "Mike" <mikepl333@aol.com> wrote in message
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I was previously infected with a trojan virus and "wiped " it out. I
    > then installed firewall thatc ame free with AOL. I noticed it still
    > allowed a user to ping my computer which makes me think a back door is
    > still open. I even did a virus scan and safe mode and found nothing.
    > Funny thin is that when I re-install windows using upgrade option, the
    > virus scan keeps missing coponents, which happens from viruses. I also
    > did ad-aware in safe mode too. Then lately I get the "physical dump of
    > hard drive" when i reset a few times. This is not good. I am afraid
    > to back-up new files in case they are infected. Am I missing something
    > obvious? Any help is apreciated!
    >
    > BTW How can I report these scumbags who are trying to get on my
    > computer f I got their IP found thru the firewall?

Firewalls Computers Windows