Resolving Sid to User Name when Examining DACL

I'm checking to make sure certain people have permissions on certain folders
on my server.

When I right click the folder /properties /Security, I get the standard list
of SIDS that normally resolve to a name quickly.
The Sids seem to take forever to resolve to name.

Does anyone know why this would happen? What actually does the resolution?

Thanks in Advance,

Mr. Lee
2 answers Last reply
More about resolving user examining dacl

    So, if you wait long enough they do get translated into friendly
    display names, it is just slow, that is the situation?

    If the slow ones are domain principals then check that all
    DNS support for the domain is fine. This would be case
    where names of that domain lag and then eventually the
    problem goes away for them (for that boot anyway).

    --
    Roger Abell
    Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)

    "Mr. Lee" <Nospam@email.net> wrote in message
    > I'm checking to make sure certain people have permissions on certain
    folders
    > on my server.
    >
    > When I right click the folder /properties /Security, I get the standard
    list
    > of SIDS that normally resolve to a name quickly.
    > The Sids seem to take forever to resolve to name.
    >
    > Does anyone know why this would happen? What actually does the resolution?
    >
    > Thanks in Advance,
    >
    > Mr. Lee

    The common ones come up fine,
    it's the individuals that take forever. (I.E.: Owner /Person not from
    inherited rights)

    each user has a folder that they own "The Users/UserName"
    Each individual (i.e. JDoe) user is the one that has the problem.
    Enterprise Admins, Domain Admins, etc. are all fine.

    This would be a function of DNS?

    > So, if you wait long enough they do get translated into friendly
    > display names, it is just slow, that is the situation?
    >
    > If the slow ones are domain principals then check that all
    > DNS support for the domain is fine. This would be case
    > where names of that domain lag and then eventually the
    > problem goes away for them (for that boot anyway).
    >

    > --
    > Roger Abell
    > Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)
    >
    > "Mr. Lee" <Nospam@email.net> wrote in message
    >> I'm checking to make sure certain people have permissions on certain
    > folders
    >> on my server.
    >>
    >> When I right click the folder /properties /Security, I get the standard
    > list
    >> of SIDS that normally resolve to a name quickly.
    >> The Sids seem to take forever to resolve to name.
    >>
    >> Does anyone know why this would happen? What actually does the
    >> resolution?
    >>
    >> Thanks in Advance,
    >>
    >> Mr. Lee

Security Microsoft Permissions Windows