Anybody have an inkling as to when this will end? It does seem to still be
ramping up as just this morning (7 HST) there were a good half dozen WLs on
Cherry Hill in the Hollows for my Lvl 9 Energy Blaster to level up 2x. My
Lvl 13 Fire Blaster had one run in this morning as well in the Promenade at
Galaxy City which netted a personal best +2000 XPs.

Being that I have some fairly low level characters running around in the
Galaxy City and the Hollows, anyone know of any other good spawning areas
for the WLs?

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 21:50:23 GMT, Hawaii_SE-R <WhyUGottaSpam@Me.com> wrote:

> Being that I have some fairly low level characters running around
> in the Galaxy City and the Hollows, anyone know of any other good
> spawning areas for the WLs?

King's Row tends to be pretty active, at least on the servers I
frequent. You can usually get invited to a team, and there are five
well-known spawn points where people tend to hang out:

* In the coalyard at the Royal Refineries marker
* The open area just NE of the Yellow Line Tram
* The "sand pit" north of Blue Steel's station
* The open area around the north end of the building north of the exit
to Indy Port
* The vicinity of the High Park marker

The WL will spawn anywhere in the near vicinity of those points
(sometimes on rooftops), and when there are a lot of heroes in zone,
he'll spawn immediately after you kill him--sometimes twice in the
same spot.

People tend to hang out at these spots and signal the other members of
the team when the WL shows up, and then it's catch-as-catch-can to get
as much damage in so you get as much of the XP for the kill as possible.

--
Chris Meadows aka | Homepage: http://www.terrania.us
Robotech_Master |

Robotech_Master <robotech@eyrie.org> wrote:
> People tend to hang out at these spots and signal the other members of
> the team when the WL shows up, and then it's catch-as-catch-can to get
> as much damage in so you get as much of the XP for the kill as
> possible.

There doesn't seem to be a good protocol on these, so I've jumped in on a
few as a solo and walked away with 5500 XP. I hope I haven't been cheating
any lowbies... is the XP distribution fair on Giant Monsters?

--
-= Victory Server =-
-= Sgt Glory B: Level 16 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-

"Shenanigunner" <nsp@nitrosyncretic.kom> wrote in message
> Robotech_Master <robotech@eyrie.org> wrote:
> > People tend to hang out at these spots and signal the other members of
> > the team when the WL shows up, and then it's catch-as-catch-can to get
> > as much damage in so you get as much of the XP for the kill as
> > possible.
>
> There doesn't seem to be a good protocol on these, so I've jumped in on a
> few as a solo and walked away with 5500 XP. I hope I haven't been cheating
> any lowbies... is the XP distribution fair on Giant Monsters?

I liked the Exp I got the time my level 12 Blaster joined a team dedicated
to taking one down. Cleared my debt and game me a nice boost toward 13
(since reached).

I don't seek Frosty out but I'd happily help nuke him again.

--
John Trauger,
Vorlonagent

"Methane martini.
Shaken, not stirred."

"The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common.
Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to
fit their views
....which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that
needs altering."
-The Doctor

"Shenanigunner" <nsp@nitrosyncretic.kom> wrote:

> There doesn't seem to be a good protocol on these, so I've jumped in on a
> few as a solo and walked away with 5500 XP. I hope I haven't been cheating
> any lowbies... is the XP distribution fair on Giant Monsters?

Good to know what a solo would get for taking down a Winter Lord. I believe
that the distribution of XP is dependent on the amount of damage your
character does in taking one of these down. If you are in a group/team, you
will get the amount according to the total damage your team inflicts. When
I got the +200XP, I was one of 4 heroes taking it down so the 5500 and it's
distribution sounds correct.

Protocol? There are none. However, some lowbies have voiced their opinions
openly and most are not fond of higher level heroes coming in to lowbie
areas and "cheating" the lower level players of XPs that they could have
earned. I haven't voiced it out loud during the game but that doesn't mean
that it doesn't rub me the wrong way since it is known that the WLs do
appear in higher level areas appropriate to the "offending" hero.

"Hawaii_SE-R" <WhyUGottaSpam@Me.com> wrote in message

| "Shenanigunner" <nsp@nitrosyncretic.kom> wrote:
| >
| > There doesn't seem to be a good protocol on these, so I've jumped in on
| > few as a solo and walked away with 5500 XP. I hope I haven't been
cheating
| > any lowbies... is the XP distribution fair on Giant Monsters?
|
| Good to know what a solo would get for taking down a Winter Lord. I
believe
| that the distribution of XP is dependent on the amount of damage your
| character does in taking one of these down. If you are in a group/team,
you
| will get the amount according to the total damage your team inflicts.
When
| I got the +200XP, I was one of 4 heroes taking it down so the 5500 and
it's
| distribution sounds correct.
|
| Protocol? There are none. However, some lowbies have voiced their
opinions
| openly and most are not fond of higher level heroes coming in to lowbie
| areas and "cheating" the lower level players of XPs that they could have
| earned. I haven't voiced it out loud during the game but that doesn't
mean
| that it doesn't rub me the wrong way since it is known that the WLs do
| appear in higher level areas appropriate to the "offending" hero.

Well, there are two big problems on the WINTER LORDS as a GIANT MONSTER.

Firstly, although they are a hard fight the XP returned is the same for
the low level zone as the high level zones.
A WINTER LORD in Crey's Folly has 12000 HP and my level 35 tanker got
5000 XP off it.
A WINTER LORD in Kings Row has 4000 HP and my level 35 tanker got 5000
XP of it.

The math is simple, kill WINTER LORDS in low level zones and get rapid,
easy, and plentiful XP.
Not griping personally, provided NC-SOFT doesn't pull a SONY/VERANT move
and negate out the easy XP earned by the WINTER LORD "Bash-a-Thon" or punish
the players.

Secondly, the WINTER LORDS are not scaled for XP appropriate for the low
level zones.
If that was the case, the higher level players simply would not waste
the time fighting the WINTER LORDS in the low level zones.
Since the XP is scaled by level for GIANT MONSTER types this really
screws things up when the monster spawns in multiple zones of all levels.
The standard GIANT MONSTER is zone-specific so this is not a problem, but
the SEASONAL EVENT GIANT MONSTERS spawn multi-zone thusly throwing a big
wrench in the whole concept.

Now for the OTHER THOUGHT I have regarding this "Goof". Perhaps... this
was intentional... the new archetypes are in play, but there might be a
mindset to accelerate the push for players to access these archetypes with a
generous abundance of XP powerleveling for the smarter players.

nostromo

Thus spake "Hawaii_SE-R" <WhyUGottaSpam@Me.com>, Tue, 25 Jan 2005 21:50:23
GMT, Anno Domini:

>Anybody have an inkling as to when this will end? It does seem to still be
>ramping up as just this morning (7 HST) there were a good half dozen WLs on
>Cherry Hill in the Hollows for my Lvl 9 Energy Blaster to level up 2x. My
>Lvl 13 Fire Blaster had one run in this morning as well in the Promenade at
>Galaxy City which netted a personal best +2000 XPs.
>
>Being that I have some fairly low level characters running around in the
>Galaxy City and the Hollows, anyone know of any other good spawning areas
>for the WLs?

Man, I'm 32nd level & still haven't seen anything much to do with winter
(other than getting snowballs as an alt, which was cool :). Is there a link
describing the winter features & where I can find the stuff? TIA!

--
No matter how many times you save the world, it always manages to get back in jeopardy again.
Sometimes I just want it to stay saved! You know, for a little bit?

Nostromo <nostromo@spamfree.net.au> wrote:
> Man, I'm 32nd level & still haven't seen anything much to do with
> winter (other than getting snowballs as an alt, which was cool :). Is
> there a link describing the winter features & where I can find the
> stuff? TIA!

I think the big mean snowbeasts are about it. *Sigh*. I was looking forward
to snow and ice around the city.

--

| Nostromo <nostromo@spamfree.net.au> wrote:
| > Man, I'm 32nd level & still haven't seen anything much to do with
| > winter (other than getting snowballs as an alt, which was cool :). Is
| > there a link describing the winter features & where I can find the
| > stuff? TIA!
|
| I think the big mean snowbeasts are about it. *Sigh*. I was looking
forward
| to snow and ice around the city.

I was kind of wanting those nifty ice slides in the Frostfire mission
outdoors too.

Nostromo wrote:
> Man, I'm 32nd level & still haven't seen anything much to do with
> winter (other than getting snowballs as an alt, which was cool :). Is
> there a link describing the winter features & where I can find the
> stuff? TIA!

We got "Santa Claus", Xmas trees, holiday lights, snowballs, gingerbread
cookies, candy canes, and a bunch of other stuff in WoW's capital cities.

There were even some special holiday-themed quests to do, which was a lot of
fun. :)
--
chainbreaker

If you need to email, then chainbreaker (naturally) at comcast dot
net--that's "net" not "com"--should do it.

"chainbreaker" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
| Nostromo wrote:
| > Man, I'm 32nd level & still haven't seen anything much to do with
| > winter (other than getting snowballs as an alt, which was cool :). Is
| > there a link describing the winter features & where I can find the
| > stuff? TIA!
|
| We got "Santa Claus", Xmas trees, holiday lights, snowballs, gingerbread
| cookies, candy canes, and a bunch of other stuff in WoW's capital cities.
|
| There were even some special holiday-themed quests to do, which was a lot
of
| fun. :)
| --
| chainbreaker

More info at this website + screenshots
http://www.silwenae.com/?q=node/23

nostromo

Thus spake "chainbreaker" <noone@nowhere.com>, Wed, 26 Jan 2005 11:59:41
-0500, Anno Domini:

>Nostromo wrote:
>> Man, I'm 32nd level & still haven't seen anything much to do with
>> winter (other than getting snowballs as an alt, which was cool :). Is
>> there a link describing the winter features & where I can find the
>> stuff? TIA!
>
>We got "Santa Claus", Xmas trees, holiday lights, snowballs, gingerbread
>cookies, candy canes, and a bunch of other stuff in WoW's capital cities.
>
>There were even some special holiday-themed quests to do, which was a lot of
>fun. :)

I wasn't talking about World of Wallies...obviously ;-p

Nostromo wrote:
> Thus spake "chainbreaker" <noone@nowhere.com>, Wed, 26 Jan 2005
> 11:59:41 -0500, Anno Domini:
>
>> Nostromo wrote:
>>> Man, I'm 32nd level & still haven't seen anything much to do with
>>> winter (other than getting snowballs as an alt, which was cool :).
>>> Is there a link describing the winter features & where I can find
>>> the
>>> stuff? TIA!
>>
>> We got "Santa Claus", Xmas trees, holiday lights, snowballs,
>> gingerbread cookies, candy canes, and a bunch of other stuff in
>> WoW's capital cities.
>>
>> There were even some special holiday-themed quests to do, which was
>> a lot of fun. :)
>
> I wasn't talking about World of Wallies...obviously ;-p

Well, I *knew* that--I just wanted to let you know some of what you were
missing. :p

--
chainbreaker

"Nostromo" <nostromo@spamfree.net.au> wrote in message
| Thus spake "chainbreaker" <noone@nowhere.com>, Wed, 26 Jan 2005 11:59:41
| -0500, Anno Domini:
|
| >Nostromo wrote:
| >> Man, I'm 32nd level & still haven't seen anything much to do with
| >> winter (other than getting snowballs as an alt, which was cool :). Is
| >> there a link describing the winter features & where I can find the
| >> stuff? TIA!
| >
| >We got "Santa Claus", Xmas trees, holiday lights, snowballs, gingerbread
| >cookies, candy canes, and a bunch of other stuff in WoW's capital cities.
| >
| >There were even some special holiday-themed quests to do, which was a lot
of
| >fun. :)
|
| I wasn't talking about World of Wallies...obviously ;-p

And more screenshots here
http://media.pc.gamespy.com/media/016/016985/imgs_1.html?fromint=1

George Johnson wrote:

>| > Man, I'm 32nd level & still haven't seen anything much to do with
>| > winter (other than getting snowballs as an alt, which was cool :). Is
>| > there a link describing the winter features & where I can find the
>| > stuff? TIA!
>|
>| I think the big mean snowbeasts are about it. *Sigh*. I was looking
> forward
>| to snow and ice around the city.
>
> I was kind of wanting those nifty ice slides in the Frostfire mission
> outdoors too.

Well, I went on Test last night and it's now got some iced over lakes (I
saw some in Steel and in Perez) and they're great fun!

--
| Victory Server: |
| Bex - Level 33 Blaster (Assault Rifle/Devices) |

On 27 Jan 2005 10:29:32 GMT, John Parkinson
<jp--usenet--spam--trap@destiny.org.uk> wrote:

>>| I think the big mean snowbeasts are about it. *Sigh*. I was looking
>> forward
>>| to snow and ice around the city.
>>
>> I was kind of wanting those nifty ice slides in the Frostfire mission
>> outdoors too.
>
>Well, I went on Test last night and it's now got some iced over lakes (I
>saw some in Steel and in Perez) and they're great fun!

I was looking around on Test just now, and every zone I went to seemed
to have some frozen water. Even the polluted canals in Kings Row and
Skyway were frozen. The lake and river in Perez are fun to skate on!

"Greg Johnson" <greg.gsj@gmail.com> wrote in message
| On 27 Jan 2005 10:29:32 GMT, John Parkinson
| <jp--usenet--spam--trap@destiny.org.uk> wrote:

Is
| >>|
| >> forward
| >>
| >> I was kind of wanting those nifty ice slides in the Frostfire
mission
| >> outdoors too.
| >
| >Well, I went on Test last night and it's now got some iced over lakes (I
| >saw some in Steel and in Perez) and they're great fun!
|
| I was looking around on Test just now, and every zone I went to seemed
| to have some frozen water. Even the polluted canals in Kings Row and
| Skyway were frozen. The lake and river in Perez are fun to skate on!

SWEET!!!

"Greg Johnson" <greg.gsj@gmail.com> wrote in message
| On 27 Jan 2005 10:29:32 GMT, John Parkinson
| <jp--usenet--spam--trap@destiny.org.uk> wrote:

Is
| >>|
| >> forward
| >>
| >> I was kind of wanting those nifty ice slides in the Frostfire
mission
| >> outdoors too.
| >
| >Well, I went on Test last night and it's now got some iced over lakes (I
| >saw some in Steel and in Perez) and they're great fun!
|
| I was looking around on Test just now, and every zone I went to seemed
| to have some frozen water. Even the polluted canals in Kings Row and
| Skyway were frozen. The lake and river in Perez are fun to skate on!

Just got off COH TEST to check it out.

Best spots size-wise are Platinum Lake in Steel Canyon and the moat
around the Ziggurat in Brickstown.

The lakes in Atlas and Perez Park are frozen. I didn't check out The
Hollows for Red Lake, but since that is a pretty big-sized lake that ought
to be a nice spot too.

No Ice Slides outdoors, but there are a few slight "ramps" on the edges
which allow a speedy slide-bounce, but none like the FrostFire mission with
the pendulum slide on the stairs or some of the more artistic icicles in
that mission.

Janlee wrote:

> I can just see all these level 18-22 now begging to get Spelunker
Badge.

Well we can't blame all of that on the WL. My main didn't do it simply
because I didn't know any better (being my first CoH char), and I hated
CoT. I remember being sent to PP on a street mission hunting CoT with
him. Lot's of mezzing followed by dying. So I tended to shy away. I
also made the mistake of not picking up Practiced Brawler until level
18, which would have really helped (and has since) with CoT missions.

"George Johnson" <matrix29@voyager.net> wrote in

<SNIP>

> Now for the OTHER THOUGHT I have regarding this "Goof".
> Perhaps... this
> was intentional... the new archetypes are in play, but there might be
> a mindset to accelerate the push for players to access these
> archetypes with a generous abundance of XP powerleveling for the
> smarter players.

Great!

Now we get to hear how all of these people that farmed WL in groups have
'missed out on content' because they sat there and farmed these things
instead of doing missions/tf.

I can just see all these level 18-22 now begging to get Spelunker Badge.

I did the WL team twice. Once in Crey (at 37) and once in PP. And the only
reason I did it in PP was because a RL friend was on the team.

Bring on the ice/snow, we melted enough of these WL to have made Rhode
Island into a suburb of Antartica.

Which wouldn't be that bad of a follow-up to the Winter Event......massiv
flooding in Paragon City!

"Scorcho" <toxaristhrasoe@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Well we can't blame all of that on the WL.

Naw, but I think the WL thing was dull, was worth way too much XP and has
gone on too long. The Halloween thing was - what, three days? -
pleasantly silly and only worth enough XP to make it worth playing if you
really wanted to skip other things.

The huge number of Snow Stompers, too hard to kill and worth so much XP
they distorted gameplay for - what, two weeks now? - without a single
other interesting or rewarding facet was a wrong direction, IMHO.
Snowballs were a little bit of fun, but generally neither pounding WLs or
putting up with the near-suspension of regular teaming and such has been
worth it.

Something a little more clever and brisk next time, say for Easter, would
be more appreciated. IMVVHO.

--

| "Scorcho" <toxaristhrasoe@yahoo.com> wrote:
| > Well we can't blame all of that on the WL.
|
| Naw, but I think the WL thing was dull, was worth way too much XP and has
| gone on too long. The Halloween thing was - what, three days? -
| pleasantly silly and only worth enough XP to make it worth playing if you
| really wanted to skip other things.
|
| The huge number of Snow Stompers, too hard to kill and worth so much XP
| they distorted gameplay for - what, two weeks now? - without a single
| other interesting or rewarding facet was a wrong direction, IMHO.
| Snowballs were a little bit of fun, but generally neither pounding WLs or
| putting up with the near-suspension of regular teaming and such has been
| worth it.
|
| Something a little more clever and brisk next time, say for Easter, would
| be more appreciated. IMVVHO.

Find the hidden eggs of HIDEOUS DOOM before they hatch!
Insane cupids zipping through the skies bleeding all with their ARROWS
OF AGONY!
PEEPS OF POUNDING!
JESUS IS BACK AND PISSED!
NIGHT OF THE LEPUS (pass it on)
If you're not wearing green, the Leprechauns will pinch you for 100 HP
of damage!

In article <10vvr6tnj372392@corp.supernews.com>, George Johnson wrote:
> NIGHT OF THE LEPUS (pass it on)

That one gets my vote.

Beating up forced perspective bunnies would make my year.

--
Neil Cerutti
We will not have an all volunteer army. We *will* have an all

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 10:53:14 -0500, "George Johnson"
<matrix29@voyager.net> wrote:

> Just got off COH TEST to check it out.
>
> Best spots size-wise are Platinum Lake in Steel Canyon and the moat
>around the Ziggurat in Brickstown.
>
> The lakes in Atlas and Perez Park are frozen. I didn't check out The
>Hollows for Red Lake, but since that is a pretty big-sized lake that ought
>to be a nice spot too.
>
> No Ice Slides outdoors, but there are a few slight "ramps" on the edges
>which allow a speedy slide-bounce, but none like the FrostFire mission with
>the pendulum slide on the stairs or some of the more artistic icicles in
>that mission.

The closest I've found is a frozen waterfall in Eden in the Cascades
area. Wandering around there got me a badge too, Unspoiled.