If I buy a 64K sim

I've called customer twice trying to buy a 64K sim. Both times they didn't
know what I was talking about (they said). My question is; if I buy a 64K
sim off of Ebay, can I call Cingular customer service and get it activated?

bamp
25 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware

    Are you looking to upgrade an exisiting Cingular account or start a new
    account?

    If you are starting a new account it won't be a problem if you are looking
    to upgrade it may be an issue? Of course it depends on the REP that you
    talk to. If you get one that won't just hang up and call again. You'll
    find one that will do what you're looking to do. They should prefer you to
    have the 64K SIM since it handles the service better.

    "bamp" <bampatcenturyteldotnet> wrote in message
    > I've called customer twice trying to buy a 64K sim. Both times they didn't
    > know what I was talking about (they said). My question is; if I buy a 64K
    > sim off of Ebay, can I call Cingular customer service and get it
    > activated?
    >
    > bamp

    It will be an upgrade.

    Thanks,
    bamp

    "Wirelessjuan" <wirelessjuan2004@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Are you looking to upgrade an exisiting Cingular account or start a new
    > account?
    >
    > If you are starting a new account it won't be a problem if you are looking
    > to upgrade it may be an issue? Of course it depends on the REP that you
    > talk to. If you get one that won't just hang up and call again. You'll
    > find one that will do what you're looking to do. They should prefer you
    > to have the 64K SIM since it handles the service better.
    >
    > "bamp" <bampatcenturyteldotnet> wrote in message
    >> I've called customer twice trying to buy a 64K sim. Both times they
    >> didn't know what I was talking about (they said). My question is; if I
    >> buy a 64K sim off of Ebay, can I call Cingular customer service and get
    >> it activated?
    >>
    >> bamp

    Go into a retail store they sould give you the 64K sim for free.

    Fred

    > It will be an upgrade.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > bamp
    >

    > "Wirelessjuan" <wirelessjuan2004@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > Are you looking to upgrade an exisiting Cingular account or start a new
    > > account?
    > >
    > > If you are starting a new account it won't be a problem if you are
    looking
    > > to upgrade it may be an issue? Of course it depends on the REP that you
    > > talk to. If you get one that won't just hang up and call again. You'll
    > > find one that will do what you're looking to do. They should prefer you
    > > to have the 64K SIM since it handles the service better.
    > >
    > > "bamp" <bampatcenturyteldotnet> wrote in message
    > >> I've called customer twice trying to buy a 64K sim. Both times they
    > >> didn't know what I was talking about (they said). My question is; if I
    > >> buy a 64K sim off of Ebay, can I call Cingular customer service and get
    > >> it activated?
    > >>
    > >> bamp

    What exactly is the benefit of a 64k SIM card?

    "Brsmnky007" <brsmnky007@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > What exactly is the benefit of a 64k SIM card?
    I really don't know, I've read pro & con about them here. So when I saw them
    on Ebay for $9.99 with free shipping, I thought I'd try one just for grins.

    bamp

    Hey bamp
    So what did you find out about a 64k sim.

    Shortly after I upgraded to a Nokia 7190 Matrix phone, I had technical
    problems. Cingular SC referred me to the retail store in Tustin, Ca because
    the problem was the 16k sim. I bought the 32k sim for $29.00. I still had
    the same trouble. It turned out to be the network, and my phone was fine.

    > "Brsmnky007" <brsmnky007@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> What exactly is the benefit of a 64k SIM card?
    > I really don't know, I've read pro & con about them here. So when I saw
    > them on Ebay for $9.99 with free shipping, I thought I'd try one just for
    > grins.
    >
    > bamp

    The 64K card is also supposed to hold more technical information for the
    phone with the inclusion of the AWS towers.

    Fred

    "Kevin" <replytonewsgroup@oraskforemailaddress.com> wrote in message
    > Hey bamp
    > So what did you find out about a 64k sim.
    >
    > Shortly after I upgraded to a Nokia 7190 Matrix phone, I had technical
    > problems. Cingular SC referred me to the retail store in Tustin, Ca
    because
    > the problem was the 16k sim. I bought the 32k sim for $29.00. I still
    had
    > the same trouble. It turned out to be the network, and my phone was fine.
    >

    > "bamp" <bampatcenturyteldotnet> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Brsmnky007" <brsmnky007@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > >> What exactly is the benefit of a 64k SIM card?
    > > I really don't know, I've read pro & con about them here. So when I saw
    > > them on Ebay for $9.99 with free shipping, I thought I'd try one just
    for
    > > grins.
    > >
    > > bamp

    On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 09:14:07 -0600, "Brsmnky007"
    <brsmnky007@yahoo.com> said in alt.cellular.cingular:

    >What exactly is the benefit of a 64k SIM card?

    IF your phone can make use of it, it'll handle both the Cingular and
    the AT&T network as home networks. It usually won't make any
    difference.

    In <3joxd.13002$7p.6112@lakeread02> on Sun, 19 Dec 2004 18:39:46 -0500, "Fred"
    <agunat@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >Go into a retail store they sould give you the 64K sim for free.

    Not true -- you'll have to buy it.

  10. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    In <B1Cxd.17395$Qs5.15864@fe04.lga> on Mon, 20 Dec 2004 09:14:07 -0600,
    "Brsmnky007" <brsmnky007@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >What exactly is the benefit of a 64k SIM card?

    None unless your phone supports ENS.

  11. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    In <B_Lxd.13280$7p.903@lakeread02> on Mon, 20 Dec 2004 21:36:22 -0500, "Fred"
    <agunat@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >The 64K card is also supposed to hold more technical information for the
    >phone with the inclusion of the AWS towers.

    That is almost certainly an Internet Myth. What it does hold is ENS.

  12. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    If it is a myth it is not an internet myth as that information came from a
    Cingular store manager.

    Fred

    > In <B_Lxd.13280$7p.903@lakeread02> on Mon, 20 Dec 2004 21:36:22 -0500,
    "Fred"
    > <agunat@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    > >The 64K card is also supposed to hold more technical information for the
    > >phone with the inclusion of the AWS towers.
    >
    > That is almost certainly an Internet Myth. What it does hold is ENS.

    > John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular>
  13. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    Has anyone personally observed a benefit from changing 32k sim to 64k sim?
    If so, what are the benefits you observed?

    > In <B1Cxd.17395$Qs5.15864@fe04.lga> on Mon, 20 Dec 2004 09:14:07 -0600,
    > "Brsmnky007" <brsmnky007@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    >>What exactly is the benefit of a 64k SIM card?
    >
    > None unless your phone supports ENS.

    > John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular>
  14. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 23:32:34 GMT, "Richie" <mbc@pcbell.net> wrote:

    >Has anyone personally observed a benefit from changing 32k sim to 64k sim?
    >If so, what are the benefits you observed?

    >> [POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
    >>
    >> In <B1Cxd.17395$Qs5.15864@fe04.lga> on Mon, 20 Dec 2004 09:14:07 -0600,
    >> "Brsmnky007" <brsmnky007@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>What exactly is the benefit of a 64k SIM card?

    Already asked and answered .... take a look at a similar post just a
    few days ago.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    Yes, the benefits of 64k sim were discussed.
    But I did not see anyone relay their own observations of a change from 32k
    to 64k sim.

    > Already asked and answered .... take a look at a similar post just a
    > few days ago.

  16. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    In article <munyd.1927$yV1.421@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com>,
    "Richie" <mbc@pcbell.net> wrote:

    > Has anyone personally observed a benefit from changing 32k sim to 64k sim?
    > If so, what are the benefits you observed?
    >
    > "John Navas" <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote in message
    > > [POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
    > >
    > > In <B1Cxd.17395$Qs5.15864@fe04.lga> on Mon, 20 Dec 2004 09:14:07 -0600,
    > > "Brsmnky007" <brsmnky007@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > >
    > >>What exactly is the benefit of a 64k SIM card?
    > >
    > > None unless your phone supports ENS.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
    > > John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular>

    If you are in an area that has:

    1. a Weak Cingular signal and
    2. A strong (formerly) AT&T Wireless signal

    Presumably the 64K sim will have the smarts to give you the best signal,
    rather than always try to stay with the Cingular signal.

    So for many folks, there is no need for a 64K sim, for some others, its
    almost a requirement.
  17. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    The "Cingular store manager" may well have gotten it from the Internet.

    In <vH3yd.15187$7p.8435@lakeread02> on Tue, 21 Dec 2004 20:01:22 -0500, "Fred"
    <agunat@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >If it is a myth it is not an internet myth as that information came from a
    >Cingular store manager.
    >
    >Fred

    >> [POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
    >>
    >> In <B_Lxd.13280$7p.903@lakeread02> on Mon, 20 Dec 2004 21:36:22 -0500,
    >"Fred"
    >> <agunat@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> >The 64K card is also supposed to hold more technical information for the
    >> >phone with the inclusion of the AWS towers.
    >>
    >> That is almost certainly an Internet Myth. What it does hold is ENS.

  18. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    I just got a new 64k sim for my Motorola V220... and I don't see any
    difference. My house has a strong AT&T signal but I'm not able to lock on
    to it ( i know because i had AT&T service from my employer).

    Or maybe my phone is not ENS capable.

    > If you are in an area that has:
    >
    > 1. a Weak Cingular signal and
    > 2. A strong (formerly) AT&T Wireless signal
    >
    > Presumably the 64K sim will have the smarts to give you the best signal,
    > rather than always try to stay with the Cingular signal.
    >
    > So for many folks, there is no need for a 64K sim, for some others, its
    > almost a requirement.
  19. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    In article <VJrEd.9968$5R.5954@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>,
    "Richie" <mbc@pcbell.net> wrote:

    > I just got a new 64k sim for my Motorola V220... and I don't see any
    > difference. My house has a strong AT&T signal but I'm not able to lock on
    > to it ( i know because i had AT&T service from my employer).
    >
    > Or maybe my phone is not ENS capable.
    >
    > "Jack Zwick" <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > If you are in an area that has:
    > >
    > > 1. a Weak Cingular signal and
    > > 2. A strong (formerly) AT&T Wireless signal
    > >
    > > Presumably the 64K sim will have the smarts to give you the best signal,
    > > rather than always try to stay with the Cingular signal.
    > >
    > > So for many folks, there is no need for a 64K sim, for some others, its
    > > almost a requirement.

    try reading all the Q & A here:

    http://www.howardforums.com/archive/topic/492681-1.html

    Much better explained than Navas ever attempted.
  20. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    In <jzwick3-22D02E.05490110012005@news1.west.earthlink.net> on Mon, 10 Jan
    2005 11:50:34 GMT, Jack "Chicken Little" Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote:

    >try reading all the Q & A here:
    >
    >http://www.howardforums.com/archive/topic/492681-1.html

    Hmmm. Says "You don't need a 64K SIM". Which refutes your ranting. LOL

    >Much better explained than Navas ever attempted.

    Like much of what gets posted to the Internet, it's actually pretty rambly,
    disorganized, and inaccurate, including the parts about network scanning and
    battery life (pure myth), load balancing (ENS is actually about improved call
    quality when the Home network has poor signal and the roaming network has
    better signal), ATTWS migrations being forced to take ENS handsets and 64K
    SIMs (they just have to take a Cingular plan), and how GSM roaming works
    (choose the Home network when there is a "usable" signal even if a roaming
    network has a better signal).

    --
    Best regards,
    John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/>

    "A little learning is a dangerous thing." [Alexander Pope]
    "It is better to sit in silence and appear ignorant,
    than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." [Mark Twain]
  21. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    Yeah, you're definitely correct about information gleemed from the Net. One
    has to beware.

    I've tried my 64k sim in various phones but so far i don't see any
    difference. My phone will not lock on to the AT&T tower. But if I put the
    phone under the pillow, or in my pocket then it will jump onto the AT&T
    tower and I'll get 5 bars. But otherwise, I only get 1 1/2 bars..... and
    the connection is not that great at times.

    "John Navas" <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote in message news:PrAEd.1114>

    Like much of what gets posted to the Internet, it's actually pretty rambly,
    > disorganized, and inaccurate, including the parts about network scanning
    > and
    > battery life (pure myth), load balancing (ENS is actually about improved
    > call
    > quality when the Home network has poor signal and the roaming network has
    > better signal), ATTWS migrations being forced to take ENS handsets and 64K
    > SIMs (they just have to take a Cingular plan), and how GSM roaming works
    > (choose the Home network when there is a "usable" signal even if a roaming
    > network has a better signal).
    >
    > --
    > Best regards,
    > John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/>
    >
    > "A little learning is a dangerous thing." [Alexander Pope]
    > "It is better to sit in silence and appear ignorant,
    > than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." [Mark Twain]
  22. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    That's my experience as well when testing a 64K SIM in a V551. It seems the
    vaunted ENS is only good for *manual* Homing on one network or the other by
    Cingular techs; i.e., no automatic selection of the better network. You might
    want to call Customer Care, ask to be transferred to Tech Support for a call
    quality issue, and ask to be "Homed" on "blue" (ATTWS network) rather than
    "orange" (Cingular network), although that might work against you in other
    locations.

    In <XA5Fd.10605$5R.6366@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com> on Wed, 12 Jan 2005
    08:54:15 GMT, "Richie" <mbc@pcbell.net> wrote:

    >Yeah, you're definitely correct about information gleemed from the Net. One
    >has to beware.
    >
    >I've tried my 64k sim in various phones but so far i don't see any
    >difference. My phone will not lock on to the AT&T tower. But if I put the
    >phone under the pillow, or in my pocket then it will jump onto the AT&T
    >tower and I'll get 5 bars. But otherwise, I only get 1 1/2 bars..... and
    >the connection is not that great at times.
    >
    >"John Navas" <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote in message news:PrAEd.1114>
    >
    >Like much of what gets posted to the Internet, it's actually pretty rambly,
    >> disorganized, and inaccurate, including the parts about network scanning
    >> and
    >> battery life (pure myth), load balancing (ENS is actually about improved
    >> call
    >> quality when the Home network has poor signal and the roaming network has
    >> better signal), ATTWS migrations being forced to take ENS handsets and 64K
    >> SIMs (they just have to take a Cingular plan), and how GSM roaming works
    >> (choose the Home network when there is a "usable" signal even if a roaming
    >> network has a better signal).
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best regards,
    >> John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/>
    >>
    >> "A little learning is a dangerous thing." [Alexander Pope]
    >> "It is better to sit in silence and appear ignorant,
    >> than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." [Mark Twain]

  23. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    > That's my experience as well when testing a 64K SIM in a V551. It seems
    the
    > vaunted ENS is only good for *manual* Homing on one network or the other
    by
    > Cingular techs; i.e., no automatic selection of the better network. You
    might
    > want to call Customer Care, ask to be transferred to Tech Support for a
    call
    > quality issue, and ask to be "Homed" on "blue" (ATTWS network) rather than
    > "orange" (Cingular network), although that might work against you in other
    > locations.

    There's no such thing as "homing" you top-posting moron.

    --
    SS
  24. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    In <350jftF4f9lcuU1@individual.net> on Sun, 16 Jan 2005 19:41:31 -0600,
    "Shaolin Superfly" <shaolinsuperfly@yinyang.com> wrote:

    >> That's my experience as well when testing a 64K SIM in a V551. It seems the
    >> vaunted ENS is only good for *manual* Homing on one network or the other by
    >> Cingular techs; i.e., no automatic selection of the better network. You might
    >> want to call Customer Care, ask to be transferred to Tech Support for a call
    >> quality issue, and ask to be "Homed" on "blue" (ATTWS network) rather than
    >> "orange" (Cingular network), although that might work against you in other
    >> locations.
    >
    >There's no such thing as "homing"

    Actually there is: <http://www.gsmworld.com/roaming/>
    Apology accepted. ;-)

    >you top-posting moron.

    Just followed the posting style of the thread.
    Would have been rude to change posting style in mid-thread.
    You rude person.

    --
    Best regards,
    John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/>

    "Usenet is like a herd of performing elephants with diarrhea - massive,
    difficult to redirect, awe inspiring, entertaining, and a source of mind
    boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect it." --Gene Spafford
  25. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    If it not a Cingular 64K probably not...You really dont need one
    unless you are roaming. The 64K give more room for IRDB. That is a
    roaming database.

    On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 15:49:19 -0600, "bamp" <bampatcenturyteldotnet>
    wrote:

    >I've called customer twice trying to buy a 64K sim. Both times they didn't
    >know what I was talking about (they said). My question is; if I buy a 64K
    >sim off of Ebay, can I call Cingular customer service and get it activated?
    >
    >bamp

Cingular Ebay Internet Service Providers