If I buy a 64K sim

Last response: in Network Providers
December 19, 2004 6:49:19 PM

I've called customer twice trying to buy a 64K sim. Both times they didn't
know what I was talking about (they said). My question is; if I buy a 64K
sim off of Ebay, can I call Cingular customer service and get it activated?

bamp

More about : buy 64k sim

Anonymous
December 20, 2004 1:12:56 AM

Are you looking to upgrade an exisiting Cingular account or start a new
account?

If you are starting a new account it won't be a problem if you are looking
to upgrade it may be an issue? Of course it depends on the REP that you
talk to. If you get one that won't just hang up and call again. You'll
find one that will do what you're looking to do. They should prefer you to
have the 64K SIM since it handles the service better.

"bamp" <bampatcenturyteldotnet> wrote in message
> I've called customer twice trying to buy a 64K sim. Both times they didn't
> know what I was talking about (they said). My question is; if I buy a 64K
> sim off of Ebay, can I call Cingular customer service and get it
> activated?
>
> bamp

Anonymous
December 20, 2004 1:12:57 AM

It will be an upgrade.

Thanks,
bamp

"Wirelessjuan" <wirelessjuan2004@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Are you looking to upgrade an exisiting Cingular account or start a new
> account?
>
> If you are starting a new account it won't be a problem if you are looking
> to upgrade it may be an issue? Of course it depends on the REP that you
> talk to. If you get one that won't just hang up and call again. You'll
> find one that will do what you're looking to do. They should prefer you
> to have the 64K SIM since it handles the service better.
>
> "bamp" <bampatcenturyteldotnet> wrote in message
>> I've called customer twice trying to buy a 64K sim. Both times they
>> didn't know what I was talking about (they said). My question is; if I
>> buy a 64K sim off of Ebay, can I call Cingular customer service and get
>> it activated?
>>
>> bamp

Related resources
December 20, 2004 1:12:58 AM

Go into a retail store they sould give you the 64K sim for free.

Fred

> It will be an upgrade.
>
> Thanks,
> bamp
>

> "Wirelessjuan" <wirelessjuan2004@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Are you looking to upgrade an exisiting Cingular account or start a new
> > account?
> >
> > If you are starting a new account it won't be a problem if you are
looking
> > to upgrade it may be an issue? Of course it depends on the REP that you
> > talk to. If you get one that won't just hang up and call again. You'll
> > find one that will do what you're looking to do. They should prefer you
> > to have the 64K SIM since it handles the service better.
> >
> > "bamp" <bampatcenturyteldotnet> wrote in message
> >> I've called customer twice trying to buy a 64K sim. Both times they
> >> didn't know what I was talking about (they said). My question is; if I
> >> buy a 64K sim off of Ebay, can I call Cingular customer service and get
> >> it activated?
> >>
> >> bamp

Anonymous
December 20, 2004 12:14:07 PM

What exactly is the benefit of a 64k SIM card?
Anonymous
December 20, 2004 1:33:05 PM

"Brsmnky007" <brsmnky007@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> What exactly is the benefit of a 64k SIM card?
I really don't know, I've read pro & con about them here. So when I saw them
on Ebay for $9.99 with free shipping, I thought I'd try one just for grins.

bamp
Anonymous
December 20, 2004 8:17:43 PM

Hey bamp
So what did you find out about a 64k sim.

Shortly after I upgraded to a Nokia 7190 Matrix phone, I had technical
problems. Cingular SC referred me to the retail store in Tustin, Ca because
the problem was the 16k sim. I bought the 32k sim for $29.00. I still had
the same trouble. It turned out to be the network, and my phone was fine.

> "Brsmnky007" <brsmnky007@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> What exactly is the benefit of a 64k SIM card?
> I really don't know, I've read pro & con about them here. So when I saw
> them on Ebay for $9.99 with free shipping, I thought I'd try one just for
> grins.
>
> bamp

December 21, 2004 12:36:22 AM

The 64K card is also supposed to hold more technical information for the
phone with the inclusion of the AWS towers.

Fred

"Kevin" <replytonewsgroup@oraskforemailaddress.com> wrote in message
> Hey bamp
> So what did you find out about a 64k sim.
>
> Shortly after I upgraded to a Nokia 7190 Matrix phone, I had technical
> problems. Cingular SC referred me to the retail store in Tustin, Ca
because
> the problem was the 16k sim. I bought the 32k sim for $29.00. I still
had
> the same trouble. It turned out to be the network, and my phone was fine.
>

> "bamp" <bampatcenturyteldotnet> wrote in message
> >
> > "Brsmnky007" <brsmnky007@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >> What exactly is the benefit of a 64k SIM card?
> > I really don't know, I've read pro & con about them here. So when I saw
> > them on Ebay for $9.99 with free shipping, I thought I'd try one just
for
> > grins.
> >
> > bamp

Anonymous
December 21, 2004 6:20:30 AM

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 09:14:07 -0600, "Brsmnky007"
<brsmnky007@yahoo.com> said in alt.cellular.cingular:

>What exactly is the benefit of a 64k SIM card?

IF your phone can make use of it, it'll handle both the Cingular and
the AT&T network as home networks. It usually won't make any
difference.
Anonymous
December 21, 2004 7:33:15 AM

In <3joxd.13002$7p.6112@lakeread02> on Sun, 19 Dec 2004 18:39:46 -0500, "Fred"
<agunat@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Go into a retail store they sould give you the 64K sim for free.

Not true -- you'll have to buy it.

December 21, 2004 7:33:51 AM

In <B1Cxd.17395$Qs5.15864@fe04.lga> on Mon, 20 Dec 2004 09:14:07 -0600,
"Brsmnky007" <brsmnky007@yahoo.com> wrote:

>What exactly is the benefit of a 64k SIM card?

None unless your phone supports ENS.

December 21, 2004 7:51:15 AM

In <B_Lxd.13280$7p.903@lakeread02> on Mon, 20 Dec 2004 21:36:22 -0500, "Fred"
<agunat@yahoo.com> wrote:

>The 64K card is also supposed to hold more technical information for the
>phone with the inclusion of the AWS towers.

That is almost certainly an Internet Myth. What it does hold is ENS.

December 21, 2004 11:01:22 PM

If it is a myth it is not an internet myth as that information came from a
Cingular store manager.

Fred

> In <B_Lxd.13280$7p.903@lakeread02> on Mon, 20 Dec 2004 21:36:22 -0500,
"Fred"
> <agunat@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >The 64K card is also supposed to hold more technical information for the
> >phone with the inclusion of the AWS towers.
>
> That is almost certainly an Internet Myth. What it does hold is ENS.

> John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;
Anonymous
December 23, 2004 2:32:34 AM

Has anyone personally observed a benefit from changing 32k sim to 64k sim?
If so, what are the benefits you observed?

news:p INxd.13510$_3.152457@typhoon.sonic.net...

> In <B1Cxd.17395$Qs5.15864@fe04.lga> on Mon, 20 Dec 2004 09:14:07 -0600,
> "Brsmnky007" <brsmnky007@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>What exactly is the benefit of a 64k SIM card?
>
> None unless your phone supports ENS.

> John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;
December 23, 2004 3:10:26 AM

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 23:32:34 GMT, "Richie" <mbc@pcbell.net> wrote:

>Has anyone personally observed a benefit from changing 32k sim to 64k sim?
>If so, what are the benefits you observed?

>news:p INxd.13510$_3.152457@typhoon.sonic.net...
>> [POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
>>
>> In <B1Cxd.17395$Qs5.15864@fe04.lga> on Mon, 20 Dec 2004 09:14:07 -0600,
>> "Brsmnky007" <brsmnky007@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>>What exactly is the benefit of a 64k SIM card?

Already asked and answered .... take a look at a similar post just a
few days ago.
Anonymous
December 23, 2004 4:52:58 AM

Yes, the benefits of 64k sim were discussed.
But I did not see anyone relay their own observations of a change from 32k
to 64k sim.

> Already asked and answered .... take a look at a similar post just a
> few days ago.

Anonymous
December 23, 2004 4:53:17 AM

In article <munyd.1927$yV1.421@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com>,
"Richie" <mbc@pcbell.net> wrote:

> Has anyone personally observed a benefit from changing 32k sim to 64k sim?
> If so, what are the benefits you observed?
>
> "John Navas" <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote in message
> news:p INxd.13510$_3.152457@typhoon.sonic.net...
> > [POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
> >
> > In <B1Cxd.17395$Qs5.15864@fe04.lga> on Mon, 20 Dec 2004 09:14:07 -0600,
> > "Brsmnky007" <brsmnky007@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> >>What exactly is the benefit of a 64k SIM card?
> >
> > None unless your phone supports ENS.
> >
> > --
> > Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
> > John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;

If you are in an area that has:

1. a Weak Cingular signal and
2. A strong (formerly) AT&T Wireless signal

Presumably the 64K sim will have the smarts to give you the best signal,
rather than always try to stay with the Cingular signal.

So for many folks, there is no need for a 64K sim, for some others, its
almost a requirement.
Anonymous
December 23, 2004 11:03:13 PM

The "Cingular store manager" may well have gotten it from the Internet.

In <vH3yd.15187$7p.8435@lakeread02> on Tue, 21 Dec 2004 20:01:22 -0500, "Fred"
<agunat@yahoo.com> wrote:

>If it is a myth it is not an internet myth as that information came from a
>Cingular store manager.
>
>Fred

>> [POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
>>
>> In <B_Lxd.13280$7p.903@lakeread02> on Mon, 20 Dec 2004 21:36:22 -0500,
>"Fred"
>> <agunat@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> >The 64K card is also supposed to hold more technical information for the
>> >phone with the inclusion of the AWS towers.
>>
>> That is almost certainly an Internet Myth. What it does hold is ENS.

January 10, 2005 12:16:37 PM

I just got a new 64k sim for my Motorola V220... and I don't see any
difference. My house has a strong AT&T signal but I'm not able to lock on
to it ( i know because i had AT&T service from my employer).

Or maybe my phone is not ENS capable.

> If you are in an area that has:
>
> 1. a Weak Cingular signal and
> 2. A strong (formerly) AT&T Wireless signal
>
> Presumably the 64K sim will have the smarts to give you the best signal,
> rather than always try to stay with the Cingular signal.
>
> So for many folks, there is no need for a 64K sim, for some others, its
> almost a requirement.
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 2:50:34 PM

In article <VJrEd.9968$5R.5954@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>,
"Richie" <mbc@pcbell.net> wrote:

> I just got a new 64k sim for my Motorola V220... and I don't see any
> difference. My house has a strong AT&T signal but I'm not able to lock on
> to it ( i know because i had AT&T service from my employer).
>
> Or maybe my phone is not ENS capable.
>
> "Jack Zwick" <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> >
> > If you are in an area that has:
> >
> > 1. a Weak Cingular signal and
> > 2. A strong (formerly) AT&T Wireless signal
> >
> > Presumably the 64K sim will have the smarts to give you the best signal,
> > rather than always try to stay with the Cingular signal.
> >
> > So for many folks, there is no need for a 64K sim, for some others, its
> > almost a requirement.

try reading all the Q & A here:

http://www.howardforums.com/archive/topic/492681-1.html

Much better explained than Navas ever attempted.
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 10:11:43 PM

In <jzwick3-22D02E.05490110012005@news1.west.earthlink.net> on Mon, 10 Jan
2005 11:50:34 GMT, Jack "Chicken Little" Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote:

>try reading all the Q & A here:
>
>http://www.howardforums.com/archive/topic/492681-1.html

Hmmm. Says "You don't need a 64K SIM". Which refutes your ranting. LOL

>Much better explained than Navas ever attempted.

Like much of what gets posted to the Internet, it's actually pretty rambly,
disorganized, and inaccurate, including the parts about network scanning and
battery life (pure myth), load balancing (ENS is actually about improved call
quality when the Home network has poor signal and the roaming network has
better signal), ATTWS migrations being forced to take ENS handsets and 64K
SIMs (they just have to take a Cingular plan), and how GSM roaming works
(choose the Home network when there is a "usable" signal even if a roaming
network has a better signal).

--
Best regards,
John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/&gt;

"A little learning is a dangerous thing." [Alexander Pope]
"It is better to sit in silence and appear ignorant,
than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." [Mark Twain]
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 11:54:15 AM

Yeah, you're definitely correct about information gleemed from the Net. One
has to beware.

I've tried my 64k sim in various phones but so far i don't see any
difference. My phone will not lock on to the AT&T tower. But if I put the
phone under the pillow, or in my pocket then it will jump onto the AT&T
tower and I'll get 5 bars. But otherwise, I only get 1 1/2 bars..... and
the connection is not that great at times.

"John Navas" <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote in message news:p rAEd.1114>

Like much of what gets posted to the Internet, it's actually pretty rambly,
> disorganized, and inaccurate, including the parts about network scanning
> and
> battery life (pure myth), load balancing (ENS is actually about improved
> call
> quality when the Home network has poor signal and the roaming network has
> better signal), ATTWS migrations being forced to take ENS handsets and 64K
> SIMs (they just have to take a Cingular plan), and how GSM roaming works
> (choose the Home network when there is a "usable" signal even if a roaming
> network has a better signal).
>
> --
> Best regards,
> John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/&gt;
>
> "A little learning is a dangerous thing." [Alexander Pope]
> "It is better to sit in silence and appear ignorant,
> than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." [Mark Twain]
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 9:59:40 AM

That's my experience as well when testing a 64K SIM in a V551. It seems the
vaunted ENS is only good for *manual* Homing on one network or the other by
Cingular techs; i.e., no automatic selection of the better network. You might
want to call Customer Care, ask to be transferred to Tech Support for a call
quality issue, and ask to be "Homed" on "blue" (ATTWS network) rather than
"orange" (Cingular network), although that might work against you in other
locations.

In <XA5Fd.10605$5R.6366@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com> on Wed, 12 Jan 2005
08:54:15 GMT, "Richie" <mbc@pcbell.net> wrote:

>Yeah, you're definitely correct about information gleemed from the Net. One
>has to beware.
>
>I've tried my 64k sim in various phones but so far i don't see any
>difference. My phone will not lock on to the AT&T tower. But if I put the
>phone under the pillow, or in my pocket then it will jump onto the AT&T
>tower and I'll get 5 bars. But otherwise, I only get 1 1/2 bars..... and
>the connection is not that great at times.
>
>"John Navas" <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote in message news:p rAEd.1114>
>
>Like much of what gets posted to the Internet, it's actually pretty rambly,
>> disorganized, and inaccurate, including the parts about network scanning
>> and
>> battery life (pure myth), load balancing (ENS is actually about improved
>> call
>> quality when the Home network has poor signal and the roaming network has
>> better signal), ATTWS migrations being forced to take ENS handsets and 64K
>> SIMs (they just have to take a Cingular plan), and how GSM roaming works
>> (choose the Home network when there is a "usable" signal even if a roaming
>> network has a better signal).
>>
>> --
>> Best regards,
>> John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/&gt;
>>
>> "A little learning is a dangerous thing." [Alexander Pope]
>> "It is better to sit in silence and appear ignorant,
>> than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." [Mark Twain]

January 16, 2005 10:41:31 PM

> That's my experience as well when testing a 64K SIM in a V551. It seems
the
> vaunted ENS is only good for *manual* Homing on one network or the other
by
> Cingular techs; i.e., no automatic selection of the better network. You
might
> want to call Customer Care, ask to be transferred to Tech Support for a
call
> quality issue, and ask to be "Homed" on "blue" (ATTWS network) rather than
> "orange" (Cingular network), although that might work against you in other
> locations.

There's no such thing as "homing" you top-posting moron.

--
SS
Anonymous

In <350jftF4f9lcuU1@individual.net> on Sun, 16 Jan 2005 19:41:31 -0600,
"Shaolin Superfly" <shaolinsuperfly@yinyang.com> wrote:

>> That's my experience as well when testing a 64K SIM in a V551. It seems the
>> vaunted ENS is only good for *manual* Homing on one network or the other by
>> Cingular techs; i.e., no automatic selection of the better network. You might
>> want to call Customer Care, ask to be transferred to Tech Support for a call
>> quality issue, and ask to be "Homed" on "blue" (ATTWS network) rather than
>> "orange" (Cingular network), although that might work against you in other
>> locations.
>
>There's no such thing as "homing"

Actually there is: <http://www.gsmworld.com/roaming/&gt;
Apology accepted. ;-)

>you top-posting moron.

Just followed the posting style of the thread.
Would have been rude to change posting style in mid-thread.
You rude person.

--
Best regards,
John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/&gt;

"Usenet is like a herd of performing elephants with diarrhea - massive,
difficult to redirect, awe inspiring, entertaining, and a source of mind
boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect it." --Gene Spafford
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 2:54:20 AM

If it not a Cingular 64K probably not...You really dont need one
unless you are roaming. The 64K give more room for IRDB. That is a
roaming database.

!