What's a good utility to undelete a partition?

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
I was having problems with Vista, a SATA controller and an external SATA enclosure, and managed to delete my partition tables.

The drive wasn't repartitioned or formatted and nothing was written to it so all my data is still there.

The data is all replaceable files so and I don't have the free space avliable to use a read only recovery program like Get Data Back, so I just want to recover the existing partitions.

---

I am tried Acronis Disc Director 10 but under fast settings it can only detect and recover the first 20GB partition, the other 168 GB partition wasn't detected.

I then tried the more thorough setting, but after 24 hours it was only about 5% done?

---
So I am looking for a program to undelete partitions which does a better job than Disc Director's fast setting, but won't take more than a day to scan for recoverable partitions.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
Thanks I will give it a go.

I nuked the partition table by trying to add the drive to a single drive array.

The controller didn't support single drives, but it first deleted the partition information then proceeded to tell me that I didn't have enough discs available.

I expected it to either let me create a single drive array or leave the drive untouched.

Still can't understand how the 1st partition is easily undeleted, but the 2nd can't be.

The files and folders on the 2nd partition is 100% recoverable by GetDataBack for NTFS, but that requires 160 GB of free space.

Hopefully Active@ Partiton Recovery will do the trick.

Otherwise I will have to temporarily split my RAID1 array to make room or archive 100 GB of files to DVD :)