Missing security tab in Windows 2000

All my files and folders no longer have a "Security" tab; no idea of why. I
probably did something really dumb while trying to tighten security. How do I
get my "Security" tabs to show again?
--
Twas

See the link below. Possibly you modified permissions on some system files
including Rshx32.dll. You could use a command line tool like cacls [should
already be on your computer] or fileacl to check and modify ntfs permissions
from the command line. Cacls c:\winnt\system32\Rshx32.dll file /e /g
administrators:f for example may work. The last link is how to restore
security settings back to default defined levels and note that you can use
the /area switch for just file system, etc if you do not want to reset all
security settings. --- Steve

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;193826
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;313222

"Twas" <twas@anon.postalias> wrote in message
> All my files and folders no longer have a "Security" tab; no idea of why.
> probably did something really dumb while trying to tighten security. How
> do I
> get my "Security" tabs to show again?
> --
> Twas

Interesting utilty; didn't know it existed. It appeared to run OK, although
it did report an "Error: 234" "enumerating info for
machine\system\currentcontrolset\control\CriticalDeviceDatabase"; don't know
if that represents a problem, since the KB article said to expect some
(unspecified) error.

However, I still have no security tabs, and now I'm wondering if I've made
the system nicely vulnerable while I try to fix it.

I tried the first time in my usual Admin account; then I tried logging into
the built-in adminstrator account (which has been renamed for security). Got
the same exact results -- and still no security tabs anywhere.
--
Twas

"Steven L Umbach" wrote:

> See the link below. Possibly you modified permissions on some system files
> including Rshx32.dll. You could use a command line tool like cacls [should
> already be on your computer] or fileacl to check and modify ntfs permissions
> from the command line. Cacls c:\winnt\system32\Rshx32.dll file /e /g
> administrators:f for example may work. The last link is how to restore
> security settings back to default defined levels and note that you can use
> the /area switch for just file system, etc if you do not want to reset all
> security settings. --- Steve
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;193826
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;313222
>
> "Twas" <twas@anon.postalias> wrote in message
> > All my files and folders no longer have a "Security" tab; no idea of why.
> > probably did something really dumb while trying to tighten security. How
> > do I
> > get my "Security" tabs to show again?
> > --
> > Twas

I don't know offhand what that error means but a log should have been
generated while you ran the secedit command as described in that KB. If you
have not done such try using cacls to view and/or modify ntfs permissions on
the rshx32.dll file. Below is an example of the output on my computer and
how to use cacls to view permissions on that file. As you can see in a
default installation users and power users have read and
system/administrators have full control. Another thing to do is use Event
Viewer to look in the system and application logs to see if anything
pertinent has been recorded which may provide a clue as to the problem.

Windows 2000 is less secure in a default installation than XP Pro or Windows
2003 but if you keep current with critical updates, use strong passwords,
use quality up to date antivirus, are careful browsing the web, and use a
firewall to protect yourself from the internet the risks are greatly reduced
for the average user. The free tool Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer [
Google for MBSA] can also help you in checking the security of your computer
and recommending specific changes to current security settings. Another
possibility is that your computer has been infected with malware and you
should of course scan for malware and parasites [adware/spyware/hijacks]
being sure to use the latest definitions for any program you use. Rootkit
infections are another possibility and they are very difficult to
etect. --- Steve

D:\Documents and Settings\Steve>cacls d:\winnt\system32\rshx32.dll
d:\winnt\system32\rshx32.dll BUILTIN\Users:R
BUILTIN\Power Users:R
BUILTIN\Administrators:F
NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:F

> Interesting utilty; didn't know it existed. It appeared to run OK,
> although
> it did report an "Error: 234" "enumerating info for
> machine\system\currentcontrolset\control\CriticalDeviceDatabase"; don't
> know
> if that represents a problem, since the KB article said to expect some
> (unspecified) error.
>
> However, I still have no security tabs, and now I'm wondering if I've made
> the system nicely vulnerable while I try to fix it.
>
> I tried the first time in my usual Admin account; then I tried logging
> into
> the built-in adminstrator account (which has been renamed for security).
> Got
> the same exact results -- and still no security tabs anywhere.
> --
> Twas
>

> "Steven L Umbach" wrote:
>
>> See the link below. Possibly you modified permissions on some system
>> files
>> including Rshx32.dll. You could use a command line tool like cacls
>> [should
>> already be on your computer] or fileacl to check and modify ntfs
>> permissions
>> from the command line. Cacls c:\winnt\system32\Rshx32.dll file /e /g
>> administrators:f for example may work. The last link is how to restore
>> security settings back to default defined levels and note that you can
>> use
>> the /area switch for just file system, etc if you do not want to reset
>> all
>> security settings. --- Steve
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;193826
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;313222
>>
>> "Twas" <twas@anon.postalias> wrote in message
>> > All my files and folders no longer have a "Security" tab; no idea of
>> > why.
>> > probably did something really dumb while trying to tighten security.
>> > How
>> > do I
>> > get my "Security" tabs to show again?
>> > --
>> > Twas

You were by chance exploring settings in the Group Policy features?
There is a setting in the Users branch that will remove the Security
dialog from the NTFS properties

--
Roger Abell
Microsoft MVP (Windows Server: Security)
"Twas" <twas@anon.postalias> wrote in message
> All my files and folders no longer have a "Security" tab; no idea of why.
> probably did something really dumb while trying to tighten security. How
> do I
> get my "Security" tabs to show again?
> --
> Twas

True, but that only works on XP Pro and W2003 :( --- Steve

"Roger Abell [MVP]" <mvpNoSpam@asu.edu> wrote in message
> You were by chance exploring settings in the Group Policy features?
> There is a setting in the Users branch that will remove the Security
> dialog from the NTFS properties
>
> --
> Roger Abell
> Microsoft MVP (Windows Server: Security)
> MCDBA, MCSE W2k3+W2k+Nt4
> "Twas" <twas@anon.postalias> wrote in message
>> All my files and folders no longer have a "Security" tab; no idea of why.
>> probably did something really dumb while trying to tighten security. How
>> do I
>> get my "Security" tabs to show again?
>> --
>> Twas

Probably, like a novice or worse, I was experimenting with local policies,
but failed to keep a good log. I knew the registry was dangerous, but didn't
appreciate the power or the danger of policies. I'm considering wiping the
partition and restoring it from a backup, but that's a bit drastic.
--
Twas