Sign in with
Your question

Intels near future pricedrops revealed....

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
February 21, 2007 11:02:03 PM

Just got this info from a very well known Dutch site called Tweakers.net and it shows some very pleasant pricedrops at the 22nd of April.

http://tweakers.net/nieuws/46129/Prijsverlaging-Core-2-...
February 21, 2007 11:08:37 PM

Hell, they may as well give hem away.
February 21, 2007 11:23:49 PM

"A fig for care, and a fig for woe! If I can't pay, why I can owe"

Keep 'em coming :D 

Synergy6
Related resources
February 21, 2007 11:25:04 PM

Cheaper the better. Rig is two months old and already have the itch to upgrade.

:twisted:
February 21, 2007 11:33:29 PM

Sweat deals 8)
February 21, 2007 11:59:41 PM

4300 goes down $50 to 113. Just wow!

Sucks having your main pc being your laptop :( 
oh well at least I'm running some form of core 2 :p 
February 22, 2007 1:46:15 AM

Quote:

If they get much cheaper I'll buy you one. I'll even include very detailed instructions on how to configure the BIOS program since that seems to be an issue for you on intel systems.

Come on Baron! with these upcoming prices, you know you want one! :D 
February 22, 2007 2:11:28 AM

Quote:

Baron, nobody's giving "hem" away AFAIK :wink:
February 22, 2007 2:22:03 AM

Quote:

Baron suck it up now you knew this was going to happen the prices have been floating around for months now the only new piece of information here is the date.
February 22, 2007 2:39:49 AM

I was really thinking the E4300 was the new overclocker's sweetspot, but it's hardly been cheaper than the E6300. The only reason to get the E4300 was the higher multiplier. Knowing that the price has been expected to drop significantly soon, I've seen little point in getting the E4300 chip just yet...

But now I see the Pentium E2140 coming up for $74. Man, I can't wait to see how well that overclocks. Are we going to be seeing $350 Core 2 dual-core systems that overclock to 3GHz on stock voltage and cooling in the next quarter? Just freaking awesome.
February 22, 2007 3:02:08 AM

Geez, I can't wait to see how much that 1mb of cache will affect performance on the new Pentium line. That has potential to be the 805 all over again, with twice the performance, half the heat, at nearly half the price.
February 22, 2007 3:05:44 AM

Quote:
Just got this info from a very well known Dutch site called Tweakers.net and it shows some very pleasant pricedrops at the 22nd of April.

If thats accurate.......it doesnt kick AMD in the behind, it shoves the whole boot right up the behind. And twists its. :cry: 
February 22, 2007 3:28:10 AM

Damn, it may be worth it to get the quad core. I was looking for when the price drops were gonna happen, it looks like its going to be a little later than I anticipated, but thats alirght.

What to get, the quad core and push it to 3.2, or a E6600 and push it to 3.2 HRMMMMMM
February 22, 2007 3:29:40 AM

Quote:

What this means is that they are getting closer to clearing out the P4 inventory and moving products from the C2D line to align in the lower end of the market, likely to also begin making room for Penryn.

Imagine Baron -- a 6000+ class CPU for 224 bucks. :lol: 

The 6000+ is going for 500-550 bucks on Froogle, this will need to drop to at least 250 by April 22.

Jack

odd... when AMD slashed there prices recently....and people said they were making room for the k10... they were attacked... not just here ...but in various forums

no attacks when INTEL seeming does the same thing
February 22, 2007 3:30:42 AM

mm :o  I got a dell xps 9150/400 with:

DualCore Intel Pentium D 820, 2800 MHz (14 x 200)
1 gyg of ram
Nvidia BFG 256mb 7800 OC

What do you suggest I do?
if I want to change my damn processor, which I do! I think I have to change my mother board and if I change my motherboard I have to change my case and if I change the case I have to change my psu 8O damn I hate dell, I wish I knew how bad was dell before buying it, but well if it wasnt for this dell I wouldn know all that I know now about computers, anyway what do you say guys? is there a mobo,psu,case, procesor cheap combo? :p 

February 22, 2007 3:32:36 AM

Quote:

If thats accurate.......it doesnt kick AMD in the behind, it shoves the whole boot right up the behind. And twists its. :cry: 

unless INTEL got its hands on a k10 and said " uh oh time to slash prices"
February 22, 2007 3:46:00 AM

Quote:

These prices are inline with what has leaked on other sites in the past.... so it is more confirming that revealing in my opinion:

These leaked last December:
http://www.hkepc.com/bbs/itnews.php?tid=714230&starttim...

Lol, yeah, I just didnt beleive them...or maybe I just dont want to believe them. Intel just isnt going to let AMD have 1 inch of breathing room.
February 22, 2007 3:47:45 AM

Quote:

What this means is that they are getting closer to clearing out the P4 inventory and moving products from the C2D line to align in the lower end of the market, likely to also begin making room for Penryn.

The 6000+ is going for 500-550 bucks on Froogle, this will need to drop to at least 250 by April 22.

Jack

odd... when AMD slashed there prices recently....and people said they were making room for the k10... they were attacked... not just here ...but in various forums

Ummmm because anyone with an ounce of intelligence wasnt saying that as K10 was still 5 months away..duh.

Quote:

Well then that would be quite the coo, as no one but a few AMD engineers have anything which remotely resembles what K10 will be when its released.
February 22, 2007 3:55:27 AM

Quote:

1 gyg of ram
Nvidia BFG 256mb 7800 OC

if I want to change my damn processor, which I do! I think I have to change my mother board and if I change my motherboard I have to change my case and if I change the case I have to change my psu 8O damn I hate dell, I wish I knew how bad was dell before buying it, but well if it wasnt for this dell I wouldn know all that I know now about computers, anyway what do you say guys? is there a mobo,psu,case, procesor cheap combo? :p 

Dude, you got a Dell..what did you expect? Im sorry, really. Not poking fun at you, but Dell sucks. And the sad thing is, they're better than they ever have been.

Yes there are cheap combos...they're called barebone systems, but you get what you pay for.

Tell us how much you would be willing to spend. There are folks here who would price out a system for you component by component in a matter of minutes. But they need to know what your looking for in terms of price and capabilities.
February 22, 2007 4:02:04 AM

Quote:
4300 goes down $50 to 113. Just wow!

Sucks having your main pc being your laptop :( 
oh well at least I'm running some form of core 2 :p 

Yikes!

A E4300 @ $113 !!???

The E4300 benchmarks almost exactly halfway between the x2 4200+ and x2 4600+

What does this make an x2 3800+ - a $89 part?

just f&*king amazing!
February 22, 2007 4:03:30 AM

Quote:

Jack

:)  AMD is slashing prices to hold marketshare, this is obvious. It is not attacking to state the obvious. Personally, I believe AMD should hold their own and keep prices up and focus the extra capacity that would free up (due to lower volume) to working out a quick ramp on Barcelona.

My own take on Intel's price cuts at this point is to keep the pricing pressure on AMD.... Penryn is more or less an end of year launch so I should retract my point above as I think this through more.

If the rumors are true that Intel will launch a 45 nm quad server product in Q3, then I don't doubt that they are concerned about Barcelona ... a 45 nm 3.2-3.3 GHz Clovertown part will be hard to beat by a 2.3 GHz or even a 2.5 GHz barcelona chip (though is very rumored launch speed based on a oddly leaked launch roadmap).

http://images.dailytech.com/nimage/3796_large_Opty-list...

I am very weary and supsicious of this dailytech roadmap though as I typically find such 'leaks' more credible if they are of the same style, color, and logo markings as you typcially see from official presentations. So take the roadmap with a grain of salt.

Jack

i find it a lil ODD that INTEL makes this announcement days after the detailed die shots of the k10 hit the web....

INTEL knows to within 5 % how fast the k10 will be and are being very premptive

to me ... it makes no sense to rush out penryn when u kicking AMD in the teeth like this...

Intel knows something
February 22, 2007 4:16:37 AM

Quote:

Agreed. If these numbers are accurate, IMO it's clear that Intel is trying to squeeze AMD. Stupid if you ask me...
February 22, 2007 4:24:36 AM

Quote:
Agreed. If these numbers are accurate, IMO it's clear that Intel is trying to squeeze AMD. Stupid if you ask me...

Should Intel be the very first corporation in history to exercise mercy? :lol: 

1000 pricing is interesting, but what really gets me is the difference between that pricing and the street pricing. Sometimes the street pricing is below that! How skinny are the retail/etail profit margins on CPUs anyway?
February 22, 2007 4:43:10 AM

Quote:

1000 pricing is interesting, but what really gets me is the difference between that pricing and the street pricing. Sometimes the street pricing is below that! How skinny are the retail/etail profit margins on CPUs anyway?

They already were.

Back when they made Netburst.

Wasn't that merciful of them? They let AMD lead for years! :wink:

[Note: I'm being extraneously sarcastic in this post. Thanks for not flaming me in advance, everyone.]
February 22, 2007 5:00:49 AM

Relevant portions only quoted because it'd be 5x as long if I quoted everything.

Quote:

Good sarcasm can be appreciated --- and this was good sarcasm :) 

Thanks. :D  I try.

Quote:

I find this about as likely as AMD buying out Intel.

Jack, I love that quote. Mind if I gank it for my sig? You'll be in the Hall of Fame of quotables! :D 

Anyway, I've got something you guys might find interesting and/or funny:
I made a prediction on another forum I belong to in late November (and it was a stupid prediction, but oh, it was also brilliant, if only because it was stupid!) that at some point in time down the road AMD would buy out Intel.

Oh, and the laughter that caused!

But I didn't put a definitive timeframe on it and the thing is you never know-however, we can be fairly positive it won't happen within the next three years. I really think it'd be funny if it DID happen, though. On the downside, then VIA would be the "competition"...

Okay, maybe it wouldn't be so funny after all.
February 22, 2007 5:19:50 AM

netburst and mercy?
Think of all the office workers in thier cubiciles with one of those.
I'm thinking more sweatshop than mercy.

Are the new celerons going to be 512 cache total?
February 22, 2007 5:53:39 AM

Yup. Single core.
February 22, 2007 10:49:30 AM

Quote:

Jack

:)  AMD is slashing prices to hold marketshare, this is obvious. It is not attacking to state the obvious. Personally, I believe AMD should hold their own and keep prices up and focus the extra capacity that would free up (due to lower volume) to working out a quick ramp on Barcelona.

My own take on Intel's price cuts at this point is to keep the pricing pressure on AMD.... Penryn is more or less an end of year launch so I should retract my point above as I think this through more.

If the rumors are true that Intel will launch a 45 nm quad server product in Q3, then I don't doubt that they are concerned about Barcelona ... a 45 nm 3.2-3.3 GHz Clovertown part will be hard to beat by a 2.3 GHz or even a 2.5 GHz barcelona chip (though is very rumored launch speed based on a oddly leaked launch roadmap).

http://images.dailytech.com/nimage/3796_large_Opty-list...

I am very weary and supsicious of this dailytech roadmap though as I typically find such 'leaks' more credible if they are of the same style, color, and logo markings as you typcially see from official presentations. So take the roadmap with a grain of salt.

Jack

i find it a lil ODD that INTEL makes this announcement days after the detailed die shots of the k10 hit the web....

INTEL knows to within 5 % how fast the k10 will be and are being very premptive

to me ... it makes no sense to rush out penryn when u kicking AMD in the teeth like this...

Intel knows something

:)  :)  .... Intel has not actually made any announcements, these are leaked numbers .... however, Barcelona design shots were on the web in June of 06, as well as the overall architectural detail --- nothing more known then has been revealed now, so I doubt these cuts are specifically in response to K10 but rather just to keep the pain up on AMD for the time being.

Here is the issue as I see it..... CPUs are working toward a commodity item, as such the player who can supply volume at the lowest costs wins... I think Intel is more afraid of AMD's ambitious expansion/capex plans than anything that they are actually designing..... my opinion is that Intel is engaged in this price war (which is obviously working to their advantage) in order to starve AMD of cash to avoid letting them build out any more extended capacity.... by doing so they would easily avoid AMD gaining much more MSS than they have at the moement.

The second front is to drive the industry to multicore as hard and as fast as possible, again playing off their manufacturing strength and putting pressure on AMDs current weakness.

Jack

yeah i agree that is probally what INTEL is trying to do...The problem is if the k10 kicks ass.... Intel will not be able to do what they are doing now....

I dont think INTEL wants AMD around long enough for them to get FUSION out the door....
February 22, 2007 10:53:50 AM

I don't think Intel is really bothered by Fusion. K10 is damn good, but watch out for Penryn and X38.
February 22, 2007 10:56:39 AM

Intel better be worried about fusion...

AMD would make desktops and laptops real real cheap....joe blow likes fast and cheap
February 22, 2007 11:15:05 AM

Quote:

AMD would make desktops and laptops real real cheap....joe blow likes fast and cheap

At it again i see. :x
February 22, 2007 11:22:33 AM

Quote:

at what again?
February 22, 2007 11:22:57 AM

Quote:

The very nature of Fusion lends it self to low yields. Just like Cell.
February 22, 2007 11:30:56 AM

It's a great time to be a consumer. :) 

If you can remain unbiased it's a win win. Here's to hoping AMD gets a good win some time in late 2007.
February 22, 2007 11:54:21 AM

Quote:

at what again?Look at the picture. That's what you're doing.....Spreading Sh*t.

Quote:
February 22, 2007 12:00:28 PM

Quote:

1 gyg of ram
Nvidia BFG 256mb 7800 OC

I think you should consider what you buy next time... dell's do have Core 2 Duo's as options.
February 22, 2007 12:05:27 PM

Well, I do consider the E4300 pretty low-budget already, 150 bucks aint that much for a kick-behind CPU.

Most interesting changes are the E64/320 CPUs with their added cache. They are highly in danger of becoming the super-sweet-spot :) 
February 22, 2007 12:10:37 PM

Quote:

They already were.

Back when they made Netburst.

Wasn't that merciful of them? They let AMD lead for years! :wink:

[Note: I'm being extraneously sarcastic in this post. Thanks for not flaming me in advance, everyone.]

We don't do sarcasm people don't get it.

LOL it is funny though
February 22, 2007 12:13:22 PM

Quote:
It's a great time to be a consumer. :) 

If you can remain unbiased it's a win win. Here's to hoping AMD gets a good win some time in late 2007.

Thats what so great about this price war. Brood or Horde ... doesnt matter ... you still get cheap CPUs.
February 22, 2007 12:20:38 PM

I'd just like to point out...

Fockin wow. $500 for the Q6600? That's the price of a E6700 now. (O_o)
February 22, 2007 12:24:30 PM

Quote:
I'd just like to point out...

Fockin wow. $500 for the Q6600? That's the price of a E6700 now. (O_o)
Yeah....Nice. Not like the QFX, where AMD said they would come 2/box....people bought them and only 1/box. :o  I would have threw it through AMD's HQ's front window. :x

edit: IDK if they are still releasing it, but apparently Intel was putting out a Q6400. That would get you a quad for probably in the $350-$300 range...then overclock it. :) 
February 22, 2007 12:28:10 PM

It seems Intel is keeping the same price points, and just dropping each processor down one notch on the ladder. Are we expecting to see a new part take over the top (non X-edition)? I don't see the E6850 anywhere here.
February 22, 2007 12:35:47 PM

And here's Intel's immediate response to Barcelona (from X-bit Labs):

Quote:
there will be an improved version of the Intel 5000-series chipset aimed at HPC/WS market segments that features 1600MHz processor system bus (PSB) coming in the second half of the year to support higher-performance Xeon “Clovertown” chips with operation at 3GHz.

Intel must really be making progress with their manufacturing to be able to come out with a 50W quad-core soon, and then later on a 3 GHz version. I haven't seen what the expected TDP will be.
February 22, 2007 12:44:46 PM

Does anybody find it odd how the most sophisticated technology on the earth is viewed as a commodity good?

All those scientists, capital investments, and cutting edge nano technology... yet a farmer can make similar margins 8O

If Intel and AMD were smart... AMD would assume the role of #2 and informally price collude with Intel - maximizing the profit margins for both companies.

Win for Intel, AMD, and investors... lose for consumers. So I'm glad they aren't doing it. :D 
February 22, 2007 1:25:22 PM

I'm less concerned with CPU pricing being a commodity compared to, say, AIDS ARV treatments.
February 22, 2007 1:42:47 PM

Quote:

EDIT: After thinking about the timing more, I would like to retract my point about making room for Penryn --- I believe it is more just to keep pricing pressure up on AMD.

Jack

Why don't you guys just burn down the banks they use? It would be quicker to get rid of billons for them.

I guess the bleeding will never stop. Oh, well, that just means the companies I work for can get me better PCs to dev with.

I'll never understand any of this. It's foolishness incarnate. I'm glad my livelihood isn't dependent on fair market value for CPUs.
February 22, 2007 1:52:08 PM

Baron, Thought you might like to know AMD passed the previous 52 week low of 14.47 today.
February 22, 2007 2:11:49 PM

Quote:
Why don't you guys just burn down the banks they use? It would be quicker to get rid of billons for them.

So, instead of having a net profit of around 14% of revenue, it may fall to... 12%? 10%? After all, companies with 10% profit margins are BLEEDING.

Much better to be an AMD investor, after all.

Synergy6
February 22, 2007 2:20:08 PM

Quote:

These prices are inline with what has leaked on other sites in the past.... so it is more confirming that revealing in my opinion:

These leaked last December:
http://www.hkepc.com/bbs/itnews.php?tid=714230&starttim...

Lol, yeah, I just didnt beleive them...or maybe I just dont want to believe them. Intel just isnt going to let AMD have 1 inch of breathing room.

They aren't leaving themselves any breathing room. AMD is still gaining share slowly which means less chips at a lower margin. But don't worry, theyll lay some more peole off so they can make you happy with ridiculously low prices.

Now with XPress1250 killing IGPs, AMD will get their hands in that mobile pie as just like you all say it's foolish to buy X2 at price X it would really be stupid to buy Intel IGP so I would say that the mobile market will be at least 40% XPress by summer.

Agn though AMD is saying they will return at least the server SKUs to the former levels.
!