new S939 mobo

gorak

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
so my mobo packed up ... i need a new one . I am thinking maybe to go with the Asustek A8N-SLI PREMIUM , as i need raid 0 .

Any suggestions on what motherboard to get ?

please no C2D suggestions as i do not have money for that now . any S939 info/help will be appreciated .

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
I agree with the board sirheck currently has, that board has recieved many great reviews, and if you ever decide to overclock, this board was designed for that, so I highly recommend it

And sirheck, you got any ideas of how I can escape this dude? He keeps haunting me in my dreams 8O
http://youtube.com/watch?v=mUISqJw51NM&mode=related&search=

heeeeeeelp me!

8O how did you get that video of me?

:lol:

GherkinPekul

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2006
I really like my Asus A8r32-mvp. I'm not using RAID on my rig, but it has 2 raid controllers. I like the firewire for capturing from my camcorder. It doesn't suck.

razortonguekiss

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2007
yeah mayn I have an asus A8N-SLI - great board for the price. lot of OC options and lil nick-nacks. even POST-voice announcements, now thas crack.

only con is that its kind of picky about RAM; I have to manually adjust the clock speed and timings on the RAM, but if you get "certified" compatible won't have to deal with that.

for those of you that have one - does your board take about 1-4 seconds before it starts to POST? takes about 1-4 seconds for my board to "turn on" and actually beep at me.

Thats what I'm running now, its got more OCing features than any M/B I've ever even seen up to this point, and very decent onboard sound, came with round IDE cables which I didn't need in my SATA gaming rig, but used them in another machine, No Regrets on DFI.

Now ASUS ! :lol:

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
yeah i hear the oc options on the dfi,s are great.

i see some litmitations on the asus, but i am overall pleased with it.
i have msi,s too and they are good but not for overclocking.

everett

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2004

So what are you trying to say :roll:

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006

your msi sucks :p
it has outlasted 2 of mine though :cry:
and they were warrantied :p

If we're ever attacked by aliens from another planet I'm going to give them my ASUS M/B as a peace offering, once they install it all their ships will crash and burn and we can kick their little green asses! :lol:

everett

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2004

your msi sucks :p
it has outlasted 2 of mine though :cry:

That's because they do not OC well... :x

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
i had my mobo with a 3700 oc,ed to 2.6 for about a year.
then for the last 4 months or so an x24400 at the same oc.
its at stock now cuase i had to reformat windows,
some win/sys32/config. error :?:

now have a new 16x10 monitor(old one was 10x7).
the 6800gt is lagging some at the new resolutions on some games :cry:

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
i am waiting for r600 and the new 86 series from nv.
if i stayed with my old 10x7 monitor the 68gt works
fine at those resolutions.

when i got the money i decided on the monitor
and decided to wait and see what happens in
the next month, gpu wise that is.

gorak

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
HI .

Thanks for all the replys ! .

WELL .... i am waiting for my opteron 170 to arrive so overclocking WILL be done as i am already running watercooling .

I guess the question now is is the DFI UT board a better (more stable) overclocking board than the asus ? The board is about $50 cheaper than the asus (in new zealand) . any pro/cons for conparing these 2 board will be appreciated .

PS. i was running an a8n sli deluxe , so i know how the asus board performs , NEVER had DFI before !

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
I guess the question now is is the DFI UT board a better (more stable) overclocking board than the asus ? The board is about $50 cheaper than the asus (in new zealand) . any pro/cons for conparing these 2 board will be appreciated .

PS. i was running an a8n sli deluxe , so i know how the asus board performs , NEVER had DFI before !

I've had good luck with both the Asus and the DFI but haven't done a whole lot of direct comparisons. I did shut the CPU multiplier down on both to compare the overclockability of three pairs of DDR500 I have. One of the CFX3200 boards got the best memory OC with Mushkin Redline. My other CFX3200 was 10MHz slower with the same RAM sticks regardless of BIOS setup, voltage, etc. The best RAM OC on the Asus was equal to the slower CFX3200, so not a huge difference. I also worked on a Lanparty NF4 UT board with the same Optys and it was the slowest mobo in the comparison. Other folks have had great luck with the UT so maybe I got a mediocre one. From all of the Opty 170 OC stuff I've read online, the stepping is very important. Check it out on XtremeSystems for the specifics.