How to make Explorer continue copying files event if there..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi!

Windows Explorer has an annoying habit of failing if it encounters an error
when copying files.

Does anyone know if there's a way to make the explorer continue even if
errors occur? I know that the command Line tool 'XCOPY.EXE' has an option
(/c) to continue even if errors occur. I'm looking for a similar
functionality..

LAban

What are you copying that you can afford errors in?

"Laban" <nettbruker@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi!
>
> Windows Explorer has an annoying habit of failing if it encounters an
> error
> when copying files.
>
> Does anyone know if there's a way to make the explorer continue even if
> errors occur? I know that the command Line tool 'XCOPY.EXE' has an option
> (/c) to continue even if errors occur. I'm looking for a similar
> functionality..
>

> LAban

Hi, LAban.

Do you mean an error that prevents copying a single file? Or an error on
one file in a group that stops you from copying the rest of the group?

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Laban" <nettbruker@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi!
>
> Windows Explorer has an annoying habit of failing if it encounters an
> error
> when copying files.
>
> Does anyone know if there's a way to make the explorer continue even if
> errors occur? I know that the command Line tool 'XCOPY.EXE' has an option
> (/c) to continue even if errors occur. I'm looking for a similar
> functionality..
>

> LAban

To elaborate on what Colin said, if there is an error with Windows Explorer
copying a file, one of two things is probably happening: 1) Windows Explorer
(which provides your entire desktop experience) is corrupted, which would
manifest itself in many more areas than simply file copy procedures. 2) The
file(s) you are attempting to copy are corrupted or in use, which is much
more of an issue. One example of this might be attempting to copy a user
profile that is currently in use. Explorer will throw back a message that
says that ntuser.dat is locked by an unspecified process. To circumvent this
type of error, either find a way to stop using the file(s) (in my example, by
rebooting and logging on as a different user) or attempt to use a program
like Handle to identify and/or kill the process that is using the file. If
the file is corrupted so badly that Windows Explorer can't copy it, you might
be better off pursuing another solution entirely.

Mark

"Laban" wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Windows Explorer has an annoying habit of failing if it encounters an error
> when copying files.
>
> Does anyone know if there's a way to make the explorer continue even if
> errors occur? I know that the command Line tool 'XCOPY.EXE' has an option
> (/c) to continue even if errors occur. I'm looking for a similar
> functionality..
>

> LAban

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

"Mark Stafford" <Mark Stafford@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> To elaborate on what Colin said, if there is an error with Windows
Explorer
> copying a file, one of two things is probably happening: 1) Windows
Explorer
> (which provides your entire desktop experience) is corrupted, which would
> manifest itself in many more areas than simply file copy procedures. 2)
The
> file(s) you are attempting to copy are corrupted or in use, which is much
> more of an issue. One example of this might be attempting to copy a user
> profile that is currently in use. Explorer will throw back a message that
> says that ntuser.dat is locked by an unspecified process. To circumvent
this
> type of error, either find a way to stop using the file(s) (in my example,
by
> rebooting and logging on as a different user) or attempt to use a program
> like Handle to identify and/or kill the process that is using the file.
If
> the file is corrupted so badly that Windows Explorer can't copy it, you
might
> be better off pursuing another solution entirely.

But I noticed that (and this issue bugs me) it'll stop copying when it finds
an error in one file in a group of file and therefore will stop the copying
process even the files after that are good to copy.

That might be cool with mp3 files, but I sure wouldn't want to let data
files keep copying if one of them was a bad file.

"(ProteanThread)" <sysop@rtdos.com> wrote in message
> "Mark Stafford" <Mark Stafford@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> To elaborate on what Colin said, if there is an error with Windows
> Explorer
>> copying a file, one of two things is probably happening: 1) Windows
> Explorer
>> (which provides your entire desktop experience) is corrupted, which would
>> manifest itself in many more areas than simply file copy procedures. 2)
> The
>> file(s) you are attempting to copy are corrupted or in use, which is much
>> more of an issue. One example of this might be attempting to copy a user
>> profile that is currently in use. Explorer will throw back a message
>> that
>> says that ntuser.dat is locked by an unspecified process. To circumvent
> this
>> type of error, either find a way to stop using the file(s) (in my
>> example,
> by
>> rebooting and logging on as a different user) or attempt to use a program
>> like Handle to identify and/or kill the process that is using the file.
> If
>> the file is corrupted so badly that Windows Explorer can't copy it, you
> might
>> be better off pursuing another solution entirely.
>

> But I noticed that (and this issue bugs me) it'll stop copying when it
> finds
> an error in one file in a group of file and therefore will stop the
> copying
> process even the files after that are good to copy.

pop

Not helpful, Colin. Please get real.

Pop
--
Perfection is not only elusive,
it is also limited with unexpected and
> What are you copying that you can afford errors in?

> "Laban" <nettbruker@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Hi!
>>
>> Windows Explorer has an annoying habit of failing if it encounters an
>> error
>> when copying files.
>>
>> Does anyone know if there's a way to make the explorer continue even if
>> errors occur? I know that the command Line tool 'XCOPY.EXE' has an option
>> (/c) to continue even if errors occur. I'm looking for a similar
>> functionality..
>>

>> LAban

pop

If, during a copy operation, for ANY reason a file is encountered that
cannot be copied, it exits the copy operation and nothing has been copied,
or only a few files have been copied. Hasn't it ever happened to you? A
single corrupted file stops you from copying one folder over to say another
drive.

Good grief,
Pop
--
"R. C. White" <rc@corridor.net> wrote in message
> Hi, LAban.
>
> Do you mean an error that prevents copying a single file? Or an error on
> one file in a group that stops you from copying the rest of the group?
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> rc@corridor.net
> Microsoft Windows MVP
>
> "Laban" <nettbruker@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Hi!
>>
>> Windows Explorer has an annoying habit of failing if it encounters an
>> error
>> when copying files.
>>
>> Does anyone know if there's a way to make the explorer continue even if
>> errors occur? I know that the command Line tool 'XCOPY.EXE' has an option
>> (/c) to continue even if errors occur. I'm looking for a similar
>> functionality..
>>

>> LAban

pop

"(ProteanThread)" <sysop@rtdos.com> wrote in message
> "Mark Stafford" <Mark Stafford@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> To elaborate on what Colin said, if there is an error with Windows
> Explorer
>> copying a file, one of two things is probably happening: 1) Windows
> Explorer
>> (which provides your entire desktop experience) is corrupted, which would
>> manifest itself in many more areas than simply file copy procedures. 2)
> The
>> file(s) you are attempting to copy are corrupted or in use, which is much
>> more of an issue. One example of this might be attempting to copy a user
>> profile that is currently in use. Explorer will throw back a message
>> that
>> says that ntuser.dat is locked by an unspecified process. To circumvent
> this
>> type of error, either find a way to stop using the file(s) (in my
>> example,
> by
>> rebooting and logging on as a different user) or attempt to use a program
>> like Handle to identify and/or kill the process that is using the file.
> If
>> the file is corrupted so badly that Windows Explorer can't copy it, you
> might
>> be better off pursuing another solution entirely.
>

> But I noticed that (and this issue bugs me) it'll stop copying when it
> finds
> an error in one file in a group of file and therefore will stop the
> copying
> process even the files after that are good to copy.

Yup, for sure! I think they've all got myopia!

Pop

pop

Not even if it was JUST ONE say, wedding favorite wedding photograph among,
maybe a couple hundred? You wouldn't want ANY of them?

My GOD, you people are thick! Does MVP = something I don't know about, or
could you all be that thick?! Only one poster all the way thru here so far
bothered to know what the OP said. The rest of you appear to be quacks!
And I just got thru defending this ng to a newbie, too. Most of you are
turning out to be warts on the ass of progress, you know that?

Pop

> That might be cool with mp3 files, but I sure wouldn't want to let data
> files keep copying if one of them was a bad file.

> "(ProteanThread)" <sysop@rtdos.com> wrote in message
>> "Mark Stafford" <Mark Stafford@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message
>>> To elaborate on what Colin said, if there is an error with Windows
>> Explorer
>>> copying a file, one of two things is probably happening: 1) Windows
>> Explorer
>>> (which provides your entire desktop experience) is corrupted, which
>>> would
>>> manifest itself in many more areas than simply file copy procedures. 2)
>> The
>>> file(s) you are attempting to copy are corrupted or in use, which is
>>> much
>>> more of an issue. One example of this might be attempting to copy a
>>> user
>>> profile that is currently in use. Explorer will throw back a message
>>> that
>>> says that ntuser.dat is locked by an unspecified process. To circumvent
>> this
>>> type of error, either find a way to stop using the file(s) (in my
>>> example,
>> by
>>> rebooting and logging on as a different user) or attempt to use a
>>> program
>>> like Handle to identify and/or kill the process that is using the file.
>> If
>>> the file is corrupted so badly that Windows Explorer can't copy it, you
>> might
>>> be better off pursuing another solution entirely.
>>

>> But I noticed that (and this issue bugs me) it'll stop copying when it
>> finds
>> an error in one file in a group of file and therefore will stop the
>> copying
>> process even the files after that are good to copy.

Pop, not all questions here are from home users. Some people are dealing
with small business or church data files and such. They need to correct
problems with the data before trying to proceed. And yes, some data copying
operations can allow continued copying around a bad file.

"Pop" <nobody@devnull.spamcop.net> wrote in message
> Not even if it was JUST ONE say, wedding favorite wedding photograph
> among, maybe a couple hundred? You wouldn't want ANY of them?
>
> My GOD, you people are thick! Does MVP = something I don't know about, or
> could you all be that thick?! Only one poster all the way thru here so
> far bothered to know what the OP said. The rest of you appear to be
> quacks!
> And I just got thru defending this ng to a newbie, too. Most of you are
> turning out to be warts on the ass of progress, you know that?
>
> Pop

>> That might be cool with mp3 files, but I sure wouldn't want to let data
>> files keep copying if one of them was a bad file.
>>
>> --
>> "(ProteanThread)" <sysop@rtdos.com> wrote in message
>>> "Mark Stafford" <Mark Stafford@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>>> message
>>> Explorer
>>> Explorer
>>> The
>>> this
>>> by
>>> If
>>> might
>>>

>>> But I noticed that (and this issue bugs me) it'll stop copying when it
>>> finds
>>> an error in one file in a group of file and therefore will stop the
>>> copying
>>> process even the files after that are good to copy.

pop

No, there seems to be no way to make the copy function proceed. You just
about have to figure out which file is the bad one and copy everything on
either side of it.
As far as I've found, MS has no plans to fix it or offer any patches;
it's an unadvertised "feature" don't cha know, for what are apparently some
lout-MVPs on this site.
Usually, if you're watching close enough, you can tell which file it
balks on either because it's corrupted or in use or unmovable for whatever
reason. Then just copy everything above, then below, that bad file. This
is especially a problem when you get more than one file that won't copy, as
in old floppies you're trying to get files off of. It's frustrating.
I can recommend V-com's Powerdesk program, at
http://www.v-com.com/
which I still use as a replacement for the defunct windows Explorer. It's
much more functional and user friendly too, with a lot more features. The
name of the program is PowerDesk, and I managed to get my copy free from one
of their promotions, but it doesn't look like it's available free anymore.
PowerDesk also comes as part of the FixIt Utilities which also are pretty
useful if you don't have somethign like Norton's SystemWorks. This time
Norton was better tough, so I've tossed it all except PowerDesk.
There are other third party programs out there just as good, I'm sure,
but this is the only one I've ever tried because it fit perfectly with how I
wanted to work and was reliable. It also has a File Finder that in general
runs circles around explorer's search functions. Very useful.

Good luck,

Pop

Pop wrote:
| Not even if it was JUST ONE say, wedding favorite wedding photograph
| among, maybe a couple hundred? You wouldn't want ANY of them?
|
| My GOD, you people are thick! Does MVP = something I don't know
| about, or could you all be that thick?! Only one poster all the way
| thru here so far bothered to know what the OP said. The rest of you
| appear to be quacks! And I just got thru defending this ng to a
| newbie, too. Most of you are turning out to be warts on the ass of
| progress, you know that?
|
| Pop
Isn't that the truth. I have noticed this too many times lately.
They have a few that are pasting the same answer no matter the Q....

James727

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
Good grief man! The man asked a simple question and got everything but an answer. Sometimes you may want to copy a folder and one or two files may be locked by another user or it could be a file(s) that you know that you don't need anyway. Even if he is new to this computing gig, a simple warning with a choice would certainly suffice. NEXT PLEASE...

I'm with Pop. What a load of blatherskite!

Laban, we share the same sentiment. I also find this annoying. I don't know of any trick or hack to fix the built-in version but there are replacements available. These guys have a good one called xplorer2 http://zabkat.com/

Good luck.

James

Chayd

Distinguished
May 4, 2009
I have to agree that it would be nice to have an option to continue on error and to, say, log the name of the uncopyable file in a window for manual intervention. I understand MS have a piece of software called synctoy, which can copy groups of folders around- perhaps this has the ability to continue in event of an error. Worth a try maybe?

Yea, but what if you want to copy selectively? For example, I am trying to backup my Documents folder. Within it there are Virtual Machine files that weighs almost 40GB and a folder's worth of Linux CD images that's another 60 GB. Ideally you would want to backup everything except these two folders and any file that might be locked, and deal with the big folders later. Explorer will stop on the first locked file. I suppose I am just too lazy to xcopy each file and folder individually...

Jacky

waytron

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
I use to run into this all the time when trying to copy large folders of music or photos for clients. It is so fustrating to sit there for several hours copying a 200GB music folder and have Windows copy suddenly stop due to 1 bad MP3. I now use either Xcopy or a great little FREE program call unstoppable copier from www.roadkil.net . This is a terrific program for copying even when you have a failing hard drive.

tangopeter

Servant Salamander might do the trick, with a Skip [All] function for Overwrite & File in Use errors.
There is a payware version and an (older) freeware version.
See http://www.altap.cz/ and a version compare at http://www.altap.cz/salam_en/compare.html.
HTH