Query Process permissions

Hi,

I've been looking at this problem all afternoon and I'm vexed - would
appreciate some advice. I am running a terminal server (2003) which
runs several instances of the same program - let's call it
proggie.exe.

I'm writing a simple script that a user can run to show them how many
proggie.exe's are running, and who is running them. I've been through
pslist, pmon and a few others and have settled on QUERY PROCESS * (or
QPROCESS *) which seems to do exactly what I want. But only as
Administrator. As Admin I get an output like this:
nag2 rdp-tcp#12 3 1052 proggie.exe
super rdp-tcp#16 4 344 proggie.exe
super rdp-tcp#16 4 2472 proggie.exe

As super (the user who is running the script) it comes out like this:
(unknown) rdp-tcp#12 3 1052 proggie.exe
super rdp-tcp#16 4 344 proggie.exe
super rdp-tcp#16 4 2472 proggie.exe

ie. anyone who isn't super isn't identified.

Any ideas how I can give super enough rights to enable this function?

I've tried adding super to query.exe to no avail.

many thanks
-Rob
robatwork at mail dot com
3 answers Last reply
More about query process permissions

    I don't know if this will fix the problem or not but try adding the
    user/group you want to view the process information to the user right for
    "profile single process". More details are given in the link below on that
    user right. --- Steve

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/gp/550.asp

    "Rob S" <robatworkDeleteTheseFourWords@mail.com.INVALID> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've been looking at this problem all afternoon and I'm vexed - would
    > appreciate some advice. I am running a terminal server (2003) which
    > runs several instances of the same program - let's call it
    > proggie.exe.
    >
    > I'm writing a simple script that a user can run to show them how many
    > proggie.exe's are running, and who is running them. I've been through
    > pslist, pmon and a few others and have settled on QUERY PROCESS * (or
    > QPROCESS *) which seems to do exactly what I want. But only as
    > Administrator. As Admin I get an output like this:
    > nag2 rdp-tcp#12 3 1052 proggie.exe
    > super rdp-tcp#16 4 344 proggie.exe
    > super rdp-tcp#16 4 2472 proggie.exe
    >
    > As super (the user who is running the script) it comes out like this:
    > (unknown) rdp-tcp#12 3 1052 proggie.exe
    > super rdp-tcp#16 4 344 proggie.exe
    > super rdp-tcp#16 4 2472 proggie.exe
    >
    > ie. anyone who isn't super isn't identified.
    >
    > Any ideas how I can give super enough rights to enable this function?
    >
    > I've tried adding super to query.exe to no avail.
    >
    > many thanks
    > -Rob
    > robatwork at mail dot com

    Thanks for the tip - tried to no avail though unfortunately..

    -Rob

    -
    -http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/gp/550.asp
    -
    -"Rob S" <robatworkDeleteTheseFourWords@mail.com.INVALID> wrote in message
    -news:42c35b0b.79191531@giganews.nildram.co.uk...
    -> Hi,
    ->
[...]

    OK. Sorry for the dead and thanks for posting back so that I know the
    results. I can't think of anything else that may help. --- Steve

    > Thanks for the tip - tried to no avail though unfortunately..
    >
    > -Rob
    >
    > On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 10:37:43 -0500, "Steven L Umbach"
    > <n9rou@nospam-comcast.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    > -I don't know if this will fix the problem or not but try adding the
    > -user/group you want to view the process information to the user right for
    > -"profile single process". More details are given in the link below on
    > that
    > -user right. --- Steve
    > -
    > -http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/gp/550.asp
    > -
    > -"Rob S" <robatworkDeleteTheseFourWords@mail.com.INVALID> wrote in message
    > -news:42c35b0b.79191531@giganews.nildram.co.uk...
    > -> Hi,
    > ->
    > -> I've been looking at this problem all afternoon and I'm vexed - would
    > -> appreciate some advice. I am running a terminal server (2003) which
    > -> runs several instances of the same program - let's call it
    > -> proggie.exe.
    > ->
    > -> I'm writing a simple script that a user can run to show them how many
    > -> proggie.exe's are running, and who is running them. I've been through
    > -> pslist, pmon and a few others and have settled on QUERY PROCESS * (or
    > -> QPROCESS *) which seems to do exactly what I want. But only as
    > -> Administrator. As Admin I get an output like this:
    > -> nag2 rdp-tcp#12 3 1052 proggie.exe
    > -> super rdp-tcp#16 4 344 proggie.exe
    > -> super rdp-tcp#16 4 2472 proggie.exe
    > ->
    > -> As super (the user who is running the script) it comes out like this:
    > -> (unknown) rdp-tcp#12 3 1052 proggie.exe
    > -> super rdp-tcp#16 4 344 proggie.exe
    > -> super rdp-tcp#16 4 2472 proggie.exe
    > ->
    > -> ie. anyone who isn't super isn't identified.
    > ->
    > -> Any ideas how I can give super enough rights to enable this function?
    > ->
    > -> I've tried adding super to query.exe to no avail.
    > ->
    > -> many thanks
    > -> -Rob
    > -> robatwork at mail dot com