Sign in with
Your question

What card for this PSU?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 21, 2007 11:40:20 PM

Hello,

First post out here. Not really sure which forum I would put this on, PSU, CE, or here, but anyways..

I have an HP a1132n PC,

Specs are AMD Athlon 3500+, 1GB RAM, 250GB HD, 2 optical drives - 1 DVDRW with Lightscribe and 1 DVD ROM, and I am looking to put a video card on it (It only comes with on-board graphics)

Nothing fancy, just something decent, I'd even settle for a 6600 if they were still that easy to find.

But anyways, my problem is if the PSU could handle it. From what I understand HP uses proprietary PSU's so upgrading that is out of the question. (And I don't really want to, since I'm planning on a new PC in a few months) So for now all I need is to put in a basic GPU and play a few games. And once I get my new PC, I can give this PC to my young 'un.

But anyways, it took a bit of doing, but I finally found out what PSU HP uses on my current PC:

It's a "300 watt (Merlot B, Reg. with latch)" >> I have no idea what that means, BTW >> Link here: http://partsurfer.hp.com/cgi-bin/spi/main?sel_flg=partl...

I don't know why HP just doesn't provide it on the regular spec sheet on their website.

But anyways, my question is, what would be a decent GPU to add on to this? Can the 300W PSU handle at least a 7300GT?

Basically, I don't plug anything else on the PC anyway, just a webcam occasionally, and that's it.

Thanks.

More about : card psu

February 22, 2007 1:04:53 AM

Quote:
But anyways, my question is, what would be a decent GPU to add on to this? Can the 300W PSU handle at least a 7300GT?

As important as the wattage; is amperage. If the rail runs insufficient voltage for your card, your system will be more prone to lock-ups than suffering from par performance.

I don't see why you shouldn't get a 7300GT for occasional gaming. It's cheap and some (BFG for example) overclock to performance far beyond 7600GS speeds. Specs for the 7300GT call for 18 amps and 350 watts - though, the card is low power and and your system isn't supremely loaded; I bet you'd get away with just the +12 volt rail meeting 18 amps requirement.
Related resources
!