Another newbie wants to build

dbljs

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2004
Greetings. I am ready to upgrade so decided to build my own this time around. I have a Micro Center right around the corner to make it even easier. I want a machine geared towards gaming and am going to be overclocking....to what degree, time will tell. I have been doing some research and it seems everone, or should I say every site has their own opinions. I already have a Lian Li p-65 case. It looked like the easiest case to work in and should have good airflow. I kind of have made up my mind on an Abit AW9 D max but was wondering why I rarely see them mentioned on this site. Seems like a good board from what I have read but what do I know? Anyways, c2d, single 8800 video card, dual hard drives and about a $1500 budget...give or take :lol: Opinions or suggestions Please.

alcattle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
Starting with the Abit AW9 D, it is a X-fire board and will take all the current CPU and Memory. Reviews states you cannot O/C memory, might have changed since then. The MAX model have 4 more SATA ports and a SPID output, other wise same board and $40 difference. Gaming will need good GPU, you can decide between the 8800 (320mb) or 2 x1950 in X-fire more. Either one you will want a beefer PSU. Check my sig for ideas. O/C the CPU I suggest the e6300 or e6400 more bang for your $$$

haywood

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2006
AW9 Max is not needed if you will only use one graphics card.

Here is what I built for 1550 two months ago:

E6400
Asus P5B-E mobo
OCZ gamexstream 600w PSU
Corsair XMS 675 2Gb
8800GTS
Thermaltake case
DVD
Samsung 160Gb HD x 2
misc cables
Sceptre 20" widescreen monitor

dbljs

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2004
Starting with the Abit AW9 D, it is a X-fire board and will take all the current CPU and Memory. Reviews states you cannot O/C memory, might have changed since then. The MAX model have 4 more SATA ports and a SPID output, other wise same board and $40 difference. Gaming will need good GPU, you can decide between the 8800 (320mb) or 2 x1950 in X-fire more. Either one you will want a beefer PSU. Check my sig for ideas. O/C the CPU I suggest the e6300 or e6400 more bang for your $$$

In the Advanced Chipset page, you can make adjustments to the memory timings. Leaving the DRAM Timing as Auto, the system will pickup whatever is configured in the ram's SPD. On Manual, you have full control over the CAS Latency, RAS# to CAS Delay, RAS# Precharge and the Precharge Delay. There is a range available for each option, where lower numbers may result in better performance, though with a potential impact on stability.
Is this what you are refering to when you say you cannot OC memory? Bare with me...I have a lot to learn :oops:

alcattle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
You are way more advanced than a "Noob". Just knowing what to look for is a big step. I was "googling" your MB and saw this one.
Abit MB not an O/C
When I read more of the article (duh) is refered to an early BIOS bug. A new MB should not have the problem, and I learned something again today.

dbljs

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2004
You are way more advanced than a "Noob". Just knowing what to look for is a big step. I was "googling" your MB and saw this one.
Abit MB not an O/C
When I read more of the article (duh) is refered to an early BIOS bug. A new MB should not have the problem, and I learned something again today.
Sorry if my post was a little misleading. That was copy/pasted from Abits site :roll: . So in the link you provided they are saying the board is limited in the amount of memory OCing it is capable of handling and remaining stable, correct? Should I be concerned and maybe looking at other boards? The reason I chose this one is for stability while OC'ing. Thanks