CD/DVD write problems

billyc

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2005
I have a Samsung sh-s182D DVD/CD writer. I can read anything I put into it but cannot write. I was occasionly abel to backup to it using Nero, but not often. New system. My MB is gigabyte ds3. One floppy, 1 DVD/CD, 1 HD (sata) have another hd to install. Sata is not set up right, but I don't think that could have anything to do with it. It's not the Samsung as I moved my good Sony from the old system and get the same results. I de-installed Nero, just to see if there was something there, but no change. If I double click the drive from My Computer, I get an error message "F is not accessable. invalid function.

I'm out of ideas. any help would be greatly appreciated. It's got to be something simple (I hope), a setting somewhere or something. I don't think the master/slave comes into play as the DVD is the only connection to that cable.

Did you install the JMicron controller software?
It is not a standard IDE port.
From another member:

Success! Life is good again. After 2 days of intensive research, I found that the problem was related to the JMicron controller. The Gigabyte controller is a JMB363. There were numerous problems with optical drives reported all over the internet. I downloaded the new version from gigabyte labeled ver 1.17.07.06 but the raid driver was ver 1.14.0.0 which is the one on the diskette. I found a JMicron version 1.17.04.00, loaded it using F6 method and everthing is working now. I can format disks, Nero shows the drive is in DMA mode, and no more scsi reference.

I had some fun trying to get a clean reload of XP, but after a little trial and error, I am getting things back to normal. I don't know if I'm getting AHCI 3gig support or not andI don't know if there's any way of verifying that or not. I know the drivers for ahci and raid/scsi (sata) are loaded. Now I will load my 2nd drive, do a little stress test, and figure out some way of cable management on this P180 case.

billyc

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2005
LOL. Thanks evongugg, that was may own quote. I had posted in both categories, because I was so frustrated and I dldnt have much response from here. The SATA/ RAID driver upgrade fixed all of my problems and things are running well now. The driver from gigabyte has not been updated to the level they indicate on their site, so you have to go to JMicron to get the most current driver.

Starmonger

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
im having a very similar problem. recently my dvd/cdr drive has stopped copying cd's. it stil reads them ok, but just wont copy anything. Im using a ds3 mobo, and my sata 2 drive i think is on that JMRaid tool thing, although i dont have a raid setup. i dont realy understand whether or not its setup correctly, but it used to work fine. i get a 'safely remove' thing in the part where the clock is on xp, which comes up with my sata hard drive, and in msconfig under startup it has JMRaid too. any ideas?

Oh, also in device manager, i get an exclamation mark with something called 'PCI simple communication device'

this could be part of the problem. i have even reformated the pc today and the problem remains

also, i have no floppy drive but one comes up in my computer. i dont think this used to happen.

billyc

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2005
It would appear to be a different type of problem since you used to work and suddenly quit. A few questions.

1. Have you modified your system lately? New software, drivers etc?
2. You said you reformatted, do you mean you reinstalled XP? or is this a 2nd drive?
3. Is your hd plugged into the yellow or purple ports on the MB? (see note below).
4. what brand/model is your dvd drive?

My first guess would be you have a clobbered driver. Without any more info than I have, I would try downloading a new driver and reinstalling the driver to see if that helps.

NOTE: You can check your bios to see which controller your devices are hooked into. Port 0-3 are Intel and 4 and 5 are JMicron.

Starmonger

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
thanks for the reply. the hard drive is plugged into that special GSATA port i think. i dont think id modified my system untill today that is (just bought a new gfx card and reformated). i wiped the drive by formating and installed a fresh xp. my dvd drive is a Sony DWG120A 16x16 DVD±RW

billyc

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2005
What software are you using? What kind of error are you getting?

I'm not so up on all this stuff myself, I guess I'm asking more questions than giving help at the moment. Do you have another DVD writer you can switch out and see if it works? It could always be hardware. I had a Sony go out on me awhile back. The error message might help, but I'm at the end of my knowledge, I think. I'm not sure what the "raid" entry is in msconfig, it's not in mine.

One other thing, but it doesn't make sense since the device was working before, but if you have your hd in the JMicron connection, I think your DVD would have to be set to slave.

The first thing I'd do is swap the drive if you have another. That would prove or disprove the hardware issue. If both fail, then it could be the software, cable, loose connection or driver to name a few things.

Starmonger

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
im using xp with sp2. ive installed all the chipset drivers and other drivers. ive swapped my hard drive to one of the normal sata ports. but still i get this "pci simple communications" error in the device manager. dunno if that's related to the cd drive not working, but everything else works fine. I have 1 cd/dvd writer, 1 hard drive, 1 sound card, 1 graphics card. i guess i could try swapping it for a simple cd writer, and see if the error goes away.