File Permissions & Ownership

jono

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004

Is there an easy way, maybe a tool, for changing all file permissions and
ownership without having to click through ever subdirectory

There are tools and this can be scripted.

If one is attempting to change and entire area to have
the same permissions, using the user interface one just
needs to, at the top of the structure, set the permissions
as needed and use the box in the view accessed with
the Advanced button that says to Reset permission on
all child objects and enable inheritance (differs a little
based on OS version)

--
Roger Abell
Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)

"" wrote:
> Is there an easy way, maybe a tool, for changing all file
> permissions and
> ownership without having to click through ever subdirectory

what do you mean with changing permissions and ownership. Can you be
more specific?

Cheers,

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Security-File-Permissions-Ownership-ftopict551797.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1748620

Hi

Unfortunately, I have the same problem.

I have been doing the same ownership changes. But a large number of files
cannot be reset and still have to be done one by one.

Can you offer a script to reset all file ownership within a folder?

A-CREST

"" wrote:
> Hi
>
> Unfortunately, I have the same problem.
>
> I have been doing the same ownership changes. But a large
> number of files
> cannot be reset and still have to be done one by one.
>
> Can you offer a script to reset all file ownership within a
> folder?
>
> A-CREST
>
> "Roger Abell" wrote:
>
> > There are tools and this can be scripted.
> >
> > If one is attempting to change and entire area to have
> > the same permissions, using the user interface one just
> > needs to, at the top of the structure, set the permissions
> > as needed and use the box in the view accessed with
> > the Advanced button that says to Reset permission on
> > all child objects and enable inheritance (differs a little
> > based on OS version)
> >
> > --
> > Roger Abell
> > Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)
> > MCSE (W2k3,W2k,Nt4) MCDBA
> > "Jono" <jono@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Is there an easy way, maybe a tool, for changing all file
> permissions and
> > > ownership without having to click through ever
> subdirectory

Tools that might help you:
FILEACL
SETACL