File Permissions & Ownership

Is there an easy way, maybe a tool, for changing all file permissions and
ownership without having to click through ever subdirectory
4 answers Last reply
More about file permissions ownership

    There are tools and this can be scripted.

    If one is attempting to change and entire area to have
    the same permissions, using the user interface one just
    needs to, at the top of the structure, set the permissions
    as needed and use the box in the view accessed with
    the Advanced button that says to Reset permission on
    all child objects and enable inheritance (differs a little
    based on OS version)

    --
    Roger Abell
    Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)

    "" wrote:
    > Is there an easy way, maybe a tool, for changing all file
    > permissions and
    > ownership without having to click through ever subdirectory

    what do you mean with changing permissions and ownership. Can you be
    more specific?

    Cheers,

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Security-File-Permissions-Ownership-ftopict551797.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1748620

    Hi

    Unfortunately, I have the same problem.

    I have been doing the same ownership changes. But a large number of files
    cannot be reset and still have to be done one by one.

    Can you offer a script to reset all file ownership within a folder?

    A-CREST

    "" wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > Unfortunately, I have the same problem.
    >
    > I have been doing the same ownership changes. But a large
    > number of files
    > cannot be reset and still have to be done one by one.
    >
    > Can you offer a script to reset all file ownership within a
    > folder?
    >
    > A-CREST
    >
    > "Roger Abell" wrote:
    >
    > > There are tools and this can be scripted.
    > >
    > > If one is attempting to change and entire area to have
    > > the same permissions, using the user interface one just
    > > needs to, at the top of the structure, set the permissions
    > > as needed and use the box in the view accessed with
    > > the Advanced button that says to Reset permission on
    > > all child objects and enable inheritance (differs a little
    > > based on OS version)
    > >
    > > --
    > > Roger Abell
    > > Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)
    > > MCSE (W2k3,W2k,Nt4) MCDBA
    > > "Jono" <jono@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Is there an easy way, maybe a tool, for changing all file
    > permissions and
    > > > ownership without having to click through ever
    > subdirectory

    Tools that might help you:
    FILEACL
    SETACL