Sign in with
Your question

2 net connections to 1 router?

Last response: in Networking
November 7, 2006 11:59:06 PM

Are there any routers or other devices which would take 2 incoming cable internet connections and send data over both connections at the same time?

edit: ok. found some info on routers with dual wan ports that talk about load balancing. would this load balancing happen on a per file stream or on a per pc basis. meaning would 1 pc sending 2 files at the same time utilize both outgoing internet connections through the router?

More about : net connections router

November 8, 2006 7:36:51 PM

Load balancing is achieved my monitoring activity.

Example: Let say one pc1 is doing a large download, the other is general web surfing. What happens is that it will see pc1 using WAN1, So it will roll pc2 over to the other line. Now be careful with BT, It's possiable for it to tie up both connections.
Related resources
November 8, 2006 10:34:01 PM

Quote:
Load balancing is achieved my monitoring activity.

Example: Let say one pc1 is doing a large download, the other is general web surfing. What happens is that it will see pc1 using WAN1, So it will roll pc2 over to the other line. Now be careful with BT, It's possiable for it to tie up both connections.

that's kind of what i'm wanting to confirm. that 1 pc can utilize both incoming cable connections of a dual wan router. as an example. if there are 2 cable 8mbit/768kbit connections plugged into a dual wan router can 1 pc on the local network upload data utilizing the speed of both connections, sending at 1536kbit?
November 9, 2006 12:53:14 AM

You can send multiple files at the agregate bandwidth, Single files will come down and go up at the single connection rate.

Channel bonding is what you are looking for to speed up a single file's rate.
November 9, 2006 1:33:41 PM

Quote:
You can send multiple files at the agregate bandwidth, Single files will come down and go up at the single connection rate.

Channel bonding is what you are looking for to speed up a single file's rate.

Are there any router type boxes that use channel bonding? The only thing I've found about it so far is setting up a linux pc to work as a router using channel bonding.
November 9, 2006 9:15:30 PM

I don't think you'll find any routers that support this feature.

From what I have read, the linux solution would require a similar solution at both ends, i.e. your ISP would have to have a linux box that supported the feature. The last time I saw channel bonding as a service provided by an ISP was when 56K modems were all the rage.

To my knowledge, the dual WAN routers only are a benefit when there are multiple users and files in flight. If it helps, most web pages are made up of many files, nowdays mostly image files.

For large single file uploads your out of luck. :idea: Unless... Bittorrent or similar would be a viable mechanism for breaking up a large file into pieces and sending it over multiple connections.
November 9, 2006 11:35:09 PM

Ok. Thanks for the info though. I guess a dual wan setup will have to do.
November 5, 2008 2:12:05 PM

This might be an option - there are others at the same price point. Cisco Linksys RV042 10/100 4-Port VPN Router
!