Problem with user authentication (2000NT)

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
a b 8 Security
July 1, 2005 5:30:01 AM

Hi all,

we have a NT 4.0 based domain with a single 2000 Server (member of domain)
running as a fileserver.
Right now we have 30 users from an external company which must have access
to the fileserver. We'd created local accounts on the fileserver and
everything works fine.
Now, we wanted to create and use domain accounts for authentication, but it
seems to be that the 2000 Server is not able to authenticate these users,
because their hosts were not member of our domain. We found error 529
"Unknown user or password" and error 681 "Login failed..." in the security
log.
How can we solve this problem?

Cheers
Nils
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
July 1, 2005 4:33:11 PM

A couple things to try. If their passwords changed make sure they are using
the correct passwords, XP can save credentials in "stored credentials" and
if persistent mapped drives use persistent credentials make sure they have
the correct username/password. Have them try domainname\user name when they
are prompted for credentials when trying to access to the server or for
persistent credentials in a mapped drive. They could try to map a drive
from the command line as in " net use * \\servername\share
/u:D omainname\user " after which they should be prompted for password. ---
Steve

"Nils" <Nils@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> we have a NT 4.0 based domain with a single 2000 Server (member of domain)
> running as a fileserver.
> Right now we have 30 users from an external company which must have access
> to the fileserver. We'd created local accounts on the fileserver and
> everything works fine.
> Now, we wanted to create and use domain accounts for authentication, but
> it
> seems to be that the 2000 Server is not able to authenticate these users,
> because their hosts were not member of our domain. We found error 529
> "Unknown user or password" and error 681 "Login failed..." in the security
> log.
> How can we solve this problem?
>
> Cheers
> Nils
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
July 2, 2005 3:41:28 AM

"" wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> we have a NT 4.0 based domain with a single 2000 Server
> (member of domain)
> running as a fileserver.
> Right now we have 30 users from an external company which must
> have access
> to the fileserver. We'd created local accounts on the
> fileserver and
> everything works fine.
> Now, we wanted to create and use domain accounts for
> authentication, but it
> seems to be that the 2000 Server is not able to authenticate
> these users,
> because their hosts were not member of our domain. We found
> error 529
> "Unknown user or password" and error 681 "Login failed..." in
> the security
> log.
> How can we solve this problem?
>
> Cheers
> Nils

whatever accounts you use I presume the externals need to drive
mappings to your file server.

they log on to their own computer using their own credentials
after that they create a drive mapping:

if they are using wxp or w2k clients
NET USE X: \\server\share\dir /user:<yourdomain>\<user>

hit ENTER and enter the password

X: is an example.. you can use your own of course

Cheers

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Security-Problem-user-auth...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1750127
!