  • Domain
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
July 3, 2005 12:10:02 AM

Hi

I have a machine running windows 2000 server which is under a domain. The
lan card of the machine has gone bad, as a result it is not able to contact
the domain controller. And the machine doesnt have local account. How do i
login to the machine in such case?

Thanks
--
soumya

More about : login domain

Anonymous
July 3, 2005 5:26:18 AM

Windows 2000 always has a local account enabled called the built in
administrator account. Of course you need to know the password for it or use
a utility to reset the password to it which requires that you have full
physical access to the computer. I would also assume that at some point in
time you need to replace the network card and if you can replace the card
with the same model or a Plug and Play nic card you probably will be able to
logon to the domain after such. The link below will help if you find you
need to reset the built in administrator account. You could also place the
hard drive in another computer as a secondary hard drive if you primarily
just need to access data ASAP unless the data is encrypted with EFS. Also
by default Windows 2000 has cached logons to the domain enabled so it may be
worth it to try and logon as a user who has previously logged onto that
computer. --- Steve

http://www.petri.co.il/forgot_administrator_password.ht...

"somya" <somya@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I have a machine running windows 2000 server which is under a domain. The
> lan card of the machine has gone bad, as a result it is not able to
> contact
> the domain controller. And the machine doesnt have local account. How do
> login to the machine in such case?
>
> Thanks
> --
> soumya
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 1:20:27 PM

somya wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have a machine running windows 2000 server which is under a domain. The
> lan card of the machine has gone bad, as a result it is not able to contact
> the domain controller. And the machine doesnt have local account. How do i
> login to the machine in such case?
>
> Thanks

As long as the server wasn't acting as a domain controller, you should
be able to log in using the built-in administrative account.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
July 5, 2005 5:24:01 AM

And if it was a domain controller, then you should be able to logon with a
domain administrator account

"Bruce Chambers" wrote:

> somya wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I have a machine running windows 2000 server which is under a domain. The
> > lan card of the machine has gone bad, as a result it is not able to contact
> > the domain controller. And the machine doesnt have local account. How do i
> > login to the machine in such case?
> >
> > Thanks
>

> As long as the server wasn't acting as a domain controller, you should
> be able to log in using the built-in administrative account.
>

> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> both at once. - RAH

July 5, 2005 11:46:29 AM

"somya" <somya@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I have a machine running windows 2000 server which is under a domain. The
> lan card of the machine has gone bad, as a result it is not able to
> contact
> the domain controller. And the machine doesnt have local account. How do
> login to the machine in such case?
>
> Thanks
> --
> soumya