NTLDR is missing?? what does this mean?

ladic

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2003
My backup PC has been working fine until recently, when it started freezing often, and today, BAM! i get a message, NTLDR is missing??? what does this mean? i cant even acces to windows...

This Website is basically a doorway to information that can help you resolve the issue of NTLDR is missing, there are links to other sites with people that have had the same issues, this covers way more than its first impression so read up and see which senarios apply to you.

Hope this helps!

jhalf

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
Or it could just mean that you need to go into bios and give your harddrive boot priority. I had to change it after reseting cmos.

tamalero

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
the way to fix it is easy
get your windows XP cd ( doesnt need to be legit )
go to the install space, but then use the "recovery console"
then you need to use the command FIXMBR ( try the help command to get all the list of advailiable commands )
theres another who fixes the entire master boot record table in case things get worse too .
these have saved me from reinstalling ;)

jhalf

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
I've got three hard drives and after an overclocking failure I reset the cmos. When i booted up again its gave me that..turns out that one of my other non os drives had first priority. Maybe its just me, I've got an a8n sli.

Dahak

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
If there is no floppy in the floppy drive,then re-install your operating system.A repair install should work but not always reliable.Goodluck.

Dahak

AMD X2-4400+@2.6 S-939
EVGA NF4 SLI MB
2X EVGA 7800GT IN SLI
2X 512MB CRUCIAL BALLISTIX DDR500
WD300GIG HD
ACER 22IN WIDESCREEN LCD 1600X1200
THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER 850WATT PSU
COOLERMASTER MINI R120

Flying-Q

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
Or it could just mean that you need to go into bios and give your harddrive boot priority. I had to change it after reseting cmos.

I have never had an NTDLR error from that.Ususally mine are from the causes i mentioned and then not having the sata drivers in correctly.

I have a machine that was based on an ASUS P4C800Deluxe with a single Seagate7200.7SATA drive with WinXP on one partition and data on another. I added another old IBMDeskStar data drive on an IDE channel as slave to an optical drive. At irregular, but frequent, intervals I would get NTLDR errors and would have to enter BIOS to re-prioritise the SATA drive as 1st boot. This continued for about a week until it occurred to me to get SeaTools and check out that SATA drive. It proved defective and was occasionally failing to mount on boot so the BIOS looked for the next available drive for an OS. The old drive was it. I think it had had an old Windows intallation on it before being formatted and becoming a data drive. My solution was to acquire a new Seagate7200.9SATA drive and do a new install of the OS on it. Cured.

As a test I reattached the original SATA drive in addition to the new SATA OS drive and fdisk'ed and formatted it. The machine was slow to boot and slow to operate and gave occasional NTLDR errors 'til I removed that drive and float tested it.

Q

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
verndewd said:
jhalf said:

I have never had an NTDLR error from that.Ususally mine are from the causes i mentioned and then not having the sata drivers in correctly.

My example: from an usb hdd I had forgotten inserted and had not taken into acount boot priority for that. But that can be easily seen luckily.