Trinitron color changed

Last response: in Home Theatre
August 9, 2004 11:37:12 AM

I have a 29inch Sony Trinitron. The colors have changed drastically. Skin
color has changed to green and the other colors have completely changed.
All colors are there, red, blue & green. What gives? Ideas?
Anonymous
August 9, 2004 12:19:48 PM

"beaudoin" <cn8cg@ixpres.com> wrote in message
> I have a 29inch Sony Trinitron. The colors have changed drastically.
Skin
> color has changed to green and the other colors have completely changed.
> All colors are there, red, blue & green. What gives? Ideas?
>

>Purity problem. Try Degaussing the TV.
Anonymous
August 10, 2004 3:01:23 AM

If degaussing is the problem, the problem is the auto-degaussing. Can I
make a degaussing coil out of wire somehow? Can I buy one? Thanks for the
opinion.
August 10, 2004 11:11:08 AM

Where exactly is the degaussing applied to the CRT:? Vertical around the
face of the CRT? Horizontal around the whole set? At the next of the CRT?
Any advice appreciated.
Anonymous
August 10, 2004 11:22:06 PM

got an old soldering gun?

--Dan

> If degaussing is the problem, the problem is the auto-degaussing. Can I
> make a degaussing coil out of wire somehow? Can I buy one? Thanks for
the
> opinion.

August 12, 2004 12:29:38 AM

"beaudoin" <cn8cg@ixpres.com> wrote in message
>I have a 29inch Sony Trinitron. The colors have changed drastically. Skin
> color has changed to green and the other colors have completely changed.
> All colors are there, red, blue & green. What gives? Ideas?

Hold on. Find a pure red display if you can. How does it look? Pure Green?
If the red field is displayed as red you do not have a purity problem and
you don't need to de-magnetize the picture tube with a coil or a home
appliance with a motor (vacuum cleaner, etc).

If purity is alright your color tone might have been miss-adjusted. As a 29
in set I assume you are PAL. Look at a colour bar display and report back
what you observe.

Richard.
Anonymous
August 12, 2004 1:42:18 AM

I am using NTSC (Never Twice the Same Color). There is no way I can find a
red display without using a signal generator. I do not have access to one.
I am only guessing my problem is de-gaussing. Thanks for you comments.
Anonymous
August 12, 2004 1:42:19 AM

In article <2o0092F5gnt6U1@uni-berlin.de>, cn8cg@ixpres.com says...
> I am using NTSC (Never Twice the Same Color). There is no way I can find a
> red display without using a signal generator. I do not have access to one.
> I am only guessing my problem is de-gaussing. Thanks for you comments.

Do you have a DVD player? Several of the various calibration DVDs
have pure red/green/blue test patterns. Or if you can hook your TV
up to a computer, there are several pgms that will generate test
patterns. For a purity check, you don't need resolution, so any
input will do.
Anonymous
August 12, 2004 11:48:38 AM

No DVD play and can't hook computer to TV. TV only has RF input available
externally. Any other ideas?
August 13, 2004 6:43:06 PM

> No DVD play and can't hook computer to TV. TV only has RF input available
> externally. Any other ideas?

For the north American market Sony never sold a 29 in set. There was a 25XBR
and a conventional 27, 32 and 36 in set. All sets sold by Sony 25 and above
have had composite inputs and RF inputs. In other markets out 25 in set is
promoted as a 26, etc. (They did sell an expensive 30 in set once).

Did you try holding up an electric motored device to the tube, moving in
around in circles while pulling it slowly away to see if the tube has picked
up a magnetic field?

Richard.
Anonymous
August 14, 2004 12:36:49 AM

I was wrong, it is a 27 incher. It is a KV-27TR10 and I have the Sams
Photofact for it. I have not tried holding a motored device to the tube but
I will try that. Good advice Richard. Just too busy with Charley here and
headed this way. Thanks
Jules
August 15, 2004 4:36:44 AM

>I was wrong, it is a 27 incher. It is a KV-27TR10 and I have the Sams
> Photofact for it. I have not tried holding a motored device to the tube
> but
> I will try that. Good advice Richard. Just too busy with Charley here
> and
> headed this way. Thanks
> Jules

That set has a composite video. input; I believe.

Richard.
Anonymous
August 15, 2004 4:36:45 AM

No it only has RF input.
Anonymous
August 16, 2004 4:39:17 AM

Sounds to me more like a color phase shift- aka the old "tint
control". You could turn people green by turning it to the extreme one
way- they turn purple the other. You probably have a bad transistor or
chip in the color circuitry. Shouldnt be too difficult to track down
or too expensive to fix- unless its an old set and the part is
obsolete.

!