Windows 98 clients are locking users accounts

I have a network that has 2 W2K Domain controllers, 3 Win 2003 server and a
bunch of XP and 2000 clients plus 3 Windows 98 computers. People that
regularly use the Windows 98 computers end up with their domain accounts
locked out 5-10 times a week when they are logged onto the Win98 computers
even if they are not doing anything.

When I check the Event Viewer on the domain controllers there is a few
entries that show a bad password attempt was made from the computer even
though it has been logged on. Also once the users account is locked, every
minute there are two more attempts to access the network and two locked out
events.
3 answers Last reply
More about windows clients locking users accounts

    Hi

    Do these users have mapped drives ?? this can cause it if they have
    changed a password recently and old credentials are used to make the
    drive map

    HTH

    pscyimePosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

    They do have mapped drives and they did change their password a while ago
    and this has been happening for a while. Is there a solution?

    "pscyime" <pscyime.1rrox3@> wrote in message

    > Hi
    >
    > Do these users have mapped drives ?? this can cause it if they have
    > changed a password recently and old credentials are used to make the
    > drive map
    >
    > HTH

    > pscyimePosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

    What is your threshold set for bad password attempts? Microsoft recommends
    that 10 be the minimum and as much as 50 if you enforce strong passwords in
    the domain which still will protect against brute force password attacks.
    Part of the problem is that operating system will sometimes try several
    times to authenticate a user for one bad logon attempt. You might also want
    to try and install the Directory Services Client on one of the W98 computers
    to see if it makes a difference and enable it to use ntlmv2 authentication
    and "enable" SMB signing. --- Steve

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;239869
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=272594 -- another possible issue??

    To enable it in Windows 98, you must make a registry DWORD entry in the
    HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\VNetsup key to either require
    signing or support it if the communications partner requires it. There are
    two DWORD values that together control the use of SMB signing:. If you set
    EnableSecuritySignature to 1 and RequireSecuritySignature to 0, SMB signing
    will be used if the client and server both support it. This setting allows
    the opportunistic use of signing but does not prevent the client from
    connecting to other clients or servers that do not support signing.

    . If you set RequireSecuritySignature to 1 and EnableSecuritySignature
    to 0, the client will only communicate with servers that support SMB
    signing.

    "Jordan" <nojunk_allowed@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >I have a network that has 2 W2K Domain controllers, 3 Win 2003 server and a
    >bunch of XP and 2000 clients plus 3 Windows 98 computers. People that
    >regularly use the Windows 98 computers end up with their domain accounts
    >locked out 5-10 times a week when they are logged onto the Win98 computers
    >even if they are not doing anything.
    >
    > When I check the Event Viewer on the domain controllers there is a few
    > entries that show a bad password attempt was made from the computer even
    > though it has been logged on. Also once the users account is locked,
    > every minute there are two more attempts to access the network and two
    > locked out events.

Windows 98 Domain Computers Windows