Windows 98 clients are locking users accounts

Jordan

I have a network that has 2 W2K Domain controllers, 3 Win 2003 server and a
bunch of XP and 2000 clients plus 3 Windows 98 computers. People that
regularly use the Windows 98 computers end up with their domain accounts
locked out 5-10 times a week when they are logged onto the Win98 computers
even if they are not doing anything.

When I check the Event Viewer on the domain controllers there is a few
entries that show a bad password attempt was made from the computer even
though it has been logged on. Also once the users account is locked, every
minute there are two more attempts to access the network and two locked out
events.

Hi

Do these users have mapped drives ?? this can cause it if they have
changed a password recently and old credentials are used to make the
drive map

HTH

pscyimePosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

Jordan

They do have mapped drives and they did change their password a while ago
and this has been happening for a while. Is there a solution?

"pscyime" <pscyime.1rrox3@> wrote in message

> Hi
>
> Do these users have mapped drives ?? this can cause it if they have
> changed a password recently and old credentials are used to make the
> drive map
>
> HTH

> pscyimePosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

What is your threshold set for bad password attempts? Microsoft recommends
that 10 be the minimum and as much as 50 if you enforce strong passwords in
the domain which still will protect against brute force password attacks.
Part of the problem is that operating system will sometimes try several
times to authenticate a user for one bad logon attempt. You might also want
to try and install the Directory Services Client on one of the W98 computers
to see if it makes a difference and enable it to use ntlmv2 authentication
and "enable" SMB signing. --- Steve

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;239869
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=272594 -- another possible issue??

To enable it in Windows 98, you must make a registry DWORD entry in the
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\VNetsup key to either require
signing or support it if the communications partner requires it. There are
two DWORD values that together control the use of SMB signing:. If you set
EnableSecuritySignature to 1 and RequireSecuritySignature to 0, SMB signing
will be used if the client and server both support it. This setting allows
the opportunistic use of signing but does not prevent the client from
connecting to other clients or servers that do not support signing.

. If you set RequireSecuritySignature to 1 and EnableSecuritySignature
to 0, the client will only communicate with servers that support SMB
signing.