Groups with Group Policy

If I create a group policy can you apply it to a group so that each
member of this group then has this policy? I would like to have a single
OU of users and have the group policies attached the group memberships.
All of my search always seems to have the policy on the OU not the groups.

Thanks

-Cam
3 answers Last reply
More about groups group policy

    Hi Cameron,

    you apply a GPO against an OU which then applies it against the contents of
    that OU (i.e. Users, Computers, Groups). The purpose of Groups is to filter
    the application of a GPO. In other you do not wish the GPO to be applied to
    all users or Groups that are part of that OU. See here
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;322176 for further
    explanation. Scroll down a bit to the table.

    Hope this helps.

    Ralph D.worgul

    "Cameron" wrote:

    > If I create a group policy can you apply it to a group so that each
    > member of this group then has this policy? I would like to have a single
    > OU of users and have the group policies attached the group memberships.
    > All of my search always seems to have the policy on the OU not the groups.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > -Cam

    While you can use security group filtering for precisely the
    reasons you are outlining, as others have already indicated,
    I am wondering why you want to have a single OU?

    In some ways this is like having a Ferrari race car and taking
    it to your mechanic and asking them to put a governor on the
    throttle body so it cannot go above 30 on the speedometer.

    One can nest OUs and link GPOs to the nested OUs to effect
    some of the types of GPO application that security group
    filtering would effect. If security group filtering is heavily
    used, and the GPOs are not well named to reflect their scopes
    of management, then things can become obsure and harder to
    quickly manage. Also, with security group filters the entire
    validity of your configuration management depends not just
    on objects being/remaining in the correct OU but also on the
    memberships in the groups being/remaining accurate.

    IMO security group filtering has an important role, but
    it is best to use it only where other choices are not able
    to effect the objective.

    --
    Roger Abell
    Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)
    "Cameron" <cameron@appdepot.com> wrote in message
    > If I create a group policy can you apply it to a group so that each
    > member of this group then has this policy? I would like to have a single
    > OU of users and have the group policies attached the group memberships.
    > All of my search always seems to have the policy on the OU not the groups.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > -Cam

    Hi

    You can only "link" the GPO to OU,domain etc but if you want only a
    particular group to be affected , link the policy to the OU then use
    security filtering to apply it to only the group you want, voila

    Regards

    pscyimePosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

Policy Security Microsoft Windows